Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Piston Slap

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
A few weeks ago, I reported that my 2000 engine had a ticking sound when it was cold. It turned out it was a piston slap, which I learned is not uncommon. This was louder than normal so the dealer decided to replace the pistons. My extended warranty inspector agreed and I took the car in on Monday for the work.

Wow. I did not realize they took the engine out from the bottom. To do that, the front steering was removed and exhaust system removed. Then the engine was disassembled down to the short block. The car body is up on a lift and there are piles of parts. They are waiting on a local machine shop to press out the wrist pins and mount the new pistons.

The corvette mechanic said it should run better when all this is finished. :)

Question: What do you recommend I look for when I get the car back? So much has been taken apart that it seems there are many chances for problems. If there were problems, where are they most likely to be?:confused

WoW what a nightmare. I am not not at all comfortable with Chev Dealers doing warranty work on anything as major as that. I can just imagine the basket of left over parts that were not really needed!
I would be on there ass like white on rice, probably had before photos top and bottom.
What's with these Chev Dealers? They do a great job with my Z71 PU and 04 Impala
but always **** me off when I take in my corvette that I will never take back again.
Good luck with that getting back together like it was.
OH and running BETTER?

bobby1 said:
Scratches and dings!!

I washed and waxed the car and did a good detail job on it before I took it in. It looked fantastic. I walked around the car with the service manager and the corvette mechanic expressing my concern about the paint and everything being returned in the same condition. Of course I was assured it would be.

We'll see.

I hope you have a good experience with the work done on your Vette. I actually have a very good relationship with the local dealer and espically one of the mechanics. I have dropped my Vettes off for him to drive for a weekend etc, to see what he thought the problem was and never had any problem. He even helps me out with special tools and advice. I realize that this is not the norm, however, I hope that you have found one of the few good dealerships with good people left.

Brett

I had a great experience and the car runs and sounds like new.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom