Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Planet 67 gets under way...

When I lived in Lubbock Texas.....

Just last week, I saw "Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story", live on stage in our local theatre........TWICE, it was that good. What an amazing tribute to one of Lubbock's own. The playing and singing was outstanding.

The show was so good that the audience spent much of the last half of the show on its feet.
:beer

Roof trusses before you know it.

dyafcz.jpg

We had to hand carry them in to the back yard from the road. We have a 100-year-old tree with some low-hanging limbs that prevented the truck from getting back there.

m9c7wj.jpg

I hope to get them up within the next few days.

It's really coming together!!

-Mac

We've got walls!! :m

I'm glad you're posting new pix... I have to get my garage fix from you guys for now. :drool: But one day I hope to have a Corvette Cave of my own. I've already collected lots of stuff to go in it... except the Midyear, that is.

:wJane Ann

It's hard to describe just how much effort goes into a building of this size. It all began with a 144-foot long 4.5'-deep trench and me building footing forms last fall.

The studs are 2" x 6" (rather than 2" x 4") and the walls are almost 12' high. That makes for very difficult lifting of wall sections, especially getting them up on top of the two extra block rows.

The schedule is often held up by my business commitments....sometimes by bad weather.....and occasionally just waiting for a volunteer or two to be available for heavy lifting.

I've been fortunate to have interested and willing new neighbours and two younger brothers who come by now and then. I have, however, built much of it myself.

Today, in the absence of enough bodies to tackle the roof trusses, I decided to plant the eight new trees I bought over a week ago. The property has close to 70 trees on it, but we're adding plenty more to extend the "woodland" feel to more of the site. Honestly, I forget what it's like to just sit down and do nothing for a whole day. ;)

If I get some time this week, I'll tack up the exterior building wrap. I'll also make clear markings for each hip truss and jack truss on the top plates. Then, the plan is to bring enough people together to get all the trusses up and the 4' x 8' sheeting on next weekend. After that, it'll be tar paper and shingles on the roof followed by windows.

By then (late July), the farmer should be taking off the wheat crop next door which means I'll be able to bring in the big rigs. I'll need six tandems of sand and two of crushed stone (as fill) in preparation for the concrete floor. I'll borrow a Bobcat (skidsteer) to move the loads inside the walls, just like I borrowed the diesel forklift you see in the earlier photos. ;) I can have the lift for as long as I want.....and it's a monster.....capable of lifting to a three-storey building. Yessir..........small town folks are good people. :beer I only wish I'd had it when I was lifting wall sections and the engineered beams over the big doors.

Once the floor is poured, I'll get the three overhead doors and the "French" terrace doors hung. :D

Then, everything stops for final inspection approval.

After that, I'll get the board & batten pine walls stained and up, and begin the electrical wiring and lighting, followed by drywall, etc.

Plenty left to do..........like interior painting, cabinetry, etc. and landscaping, patio, small greenhouse, fencing, etc. :W

Who has more fun? ;)

A guy down at the local hot rod garage coverted his cottage to oil heating, and asked if I'd be interested in a air-tight wood stove for the garage.

After he agreed to store it until the roof is on, I said yes to $100.00 :beer

Thanks, John. It won't be as nice as yours, but I'm content. :)

As for raising the trusses on Saturday, as I mentioned earlier, I can't get a crane in under the trees. So, although the forklift is plenty tall enough to raise them, it becomes a real safety issue for us to be balancing along the walls while sliding heavy trusses across the walls into position. I sure don't want someone to lose their balance and fall 12 feet.

I've come up with a reasonable solution. I'm renting enough scaffolding to stretch across the middle of the garage interior, high enough for someone to reach the trusses hanging from the lift-forks. Two guys on the ground (outside the front and rear walls) will use long 2" x 4"s (against the protruding truss tails) to help the guy on the scaffolding slide the trusses across the building and into place, one by one. Tipping them up to vertical may be the most difficult part, but we'll get 'r done.

Thanks, John. It won't be as nice as yours, but I'm content. :)

As for raising the trusses on Saturday, as I mentioned earlier, I can't get a crane in under the trees. So, although the forklift is plenty tall enough to raise them, it becomes a real safety issue for us to be balancing along the walls while sliding heavy trusses across the walls into position. I sure don't want someone to lose their balance and fall 12 feet.

I've come up with a reasonable solution. I'm renting enough scaffolding to stretch across the middle of the garage interior, high enough for someone to reach the trusses hanging from the lift-forks. Two guys on the ground (outside the front and rear walls) will use long 2" x 4"s (against the protruding truss tails) to help the guy on the scaffolding slide the trusses across the building and into place, one by one. Tipping them up to vertical may be the most difficult part, but we'll get 'r done.

Let me know the body count Bob. We set mine by hand and other than one torn rotator cup, we came all out alive.

There were some great songs from Buddy Holly, both fast and slow. Here is a photo of the Buddy Holly statue in Lubbock Texas. It is bronze and about 8 feet tall.
Great progress on your project. Stay safe. :w

It's Sunday morning. I'm exhausted. Every muscle is protesting, but with the help of six volunteers, the trusses are up. Oh, sure, there's more work to be done........a lot more.....before the roof is finished. But, the biggest trusses are up. The rest I can handle with just one other helper.

1z2ezaq.jpg

There's yours truly baking in the sun and humidity.

16bzo2f.jpg

And, how did we get those 36' long (and heavy) trusses way up there? Two giant diesel forklifts, that's how. ;) The centre peak is 21 feet off the ground. Nailing in the upper blocks was a little freaky. :ohnoes

2hzh6x1.jpg

Talk about scraping the sky.........

mkzrev.jpg

Notice the yellow rope above. :D

There are a few of the small jack trusses to install at one end, and then the four hip rafters and corner trusses, but the big ones are up. In a few days, I'll be wacking 1/2" plywood sheets up there. :W

I'm too old to be doing this, but I'm lovin' it. All the time with the personal trainer is paying off in spades.

I forgot to point out the special truss design (see the one on the ground in this photo from yesterday). Except for the two outside girder trusses, the other nine main trusses have a special design that provides two feet of additional headroom to allow for a vehicle hoist.

Although there would easily have been enough interior height to raise most cars without this design, I wanted to be sure that my Z71 Tahoe (or any other tall vehicle) would have plenty of headroom.

117e2yc.jpg

I'd rather be up on the roof today, but it's been raining heavily all morning. ;shrug

So 67HEAVEN's heaven is going to have a vaulted ceiling - WOW!! I like it!! :_rock Keep posting the pix 'cause I'm enjoying the heck out of 'em! :thumb

Sometimes rain is a good thing... rest your bones up for tomorrow, Bob! :beer

:wJane Ann

When I get to the other end of this journey, I'm thinking the Vette needs a bit of a work-out. Perhaps a cruise down to view the new digs including the new construction?

-Mac

When I get to the other end of this journey, I'm thinking the Vette needs a bit of a work-out. Perhaps a cruise down to view the new digs including the new construction?

-Mac
Now, that sounds like an excellent idea! :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom