Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Planet 67 gets under way...

So 67HEAVEN's heaven is going to have a vaulted ceiling - WOW!! I like it!! :_rock Keep posting the pix 'cause I'm enjoying the heck out of 'em! :thumb

Sometimes rain is a good thing... rest your bones up for tomorrow, Bob! :beer

:wJane Ann

Thanks, Jane Ann. Here's a different view of the vaulted ceiling. ;)

30sdb3a.jpg

Those are some monster trusses! Glad that you figured a way to get them up there.

Those are some monster trusses! Glad that you figured a way to get them up there.
No kidding. It's no wonder people go with engineer trusses nowadays. Imagine trying to put something like this together on site by hand.

-Mac

We've had monsoon weather around the lower Great Lakes recently, and enough high-wind gusts to keep me awake at night wondering about that un-sheathed roof. If the sun would return for a day or two, I could get the four hip-rafters and the 1/2" plywood and shingles nailed up there.

So, yesterday, between lightning flashes and blinding rain, I climbed the ladder and nailed in hurricane-ties between the trusses and the top plate.
:bang

I didn't want to look out the window to see Planet 67's new roof heading for Kansas. :W

:D

... monsoon weather ...high-wind gusts ...keep me awake ...roof. ...hurricane-ties...

I didn't want to look out the window to see Planet 67's new roof heading for Kansas. :W

Been there. Done that. Most assuredly got the t-shirt. :L

Glad you were able to git r done!!

:thumb

We've had monsoon weather around the lower Great Lakes recently, and enough high-wind gusts to keep me awake at night wondering about that un-sheathed roof. If the sun would return for a day or two, I could get the four hip-rafters and the 1/2" plywood and shingles nailed up there.

So, yesterday, between lightning flashes and blinding rain, I climbed the ladder and nailed in hurricane-ties between the trusses and the top plate.
:bang

Heck Bob, I'd send it back! :D

Glad to see you're wearing proper "fall arrest" equipment, Spiderman. Be careful, 67, or at least write me into the will. You know what I want. ;)

-Mac

Be careful, 67, or at least write me into the will. You know what I want. ;)

-Mac

Is it red? :rotfl

I decided to include a venting skylight on the south-facing roof. Better now than after I get it shingled.

el6v7d.jpg

I had considered a sun-tunnel, but being able to open an actual skylight, to allow Heaven's nitro mix to escape, just made more sense. ;) The eye-watering after a run is only fun for so long.

I'll run the drywall (gyprock) up to the skylight. I ordered the manual-opening type (uses a pole), rather than the remote. It'll flip the "Boss" out enough as it is without adding a remote.
;LOL

Came to a meeting of the minds with town hall today, and I have a building permit in my hands.

I'll soon have a new place for HEAVEN and another '67 project vehicle. :upthumbs

The fun is about to begin.

3zho16s.jpg

This almost sounds as if you'll be going for business in this building. Right?

GerryLP:cool

I put an Anderson skylight in the master bath when we built. It is up a lengthy tunnel that flares out wider as it comes down and puts a lot of light into the room. We didn't go with the opening one. I was worried about possible leaks. I did put in a second exhaust fan up towards the top on the blind side out of sight a few years after the fact to pull out the humidity and heat. So far that has worked out well. You might consider doing that too for those cold days when there is a foot of snow on the roof and moisture is condensing on the inside of the skylight glass. It runs down the tunnel wall and stains the ceiling.

Tom

I did put in a second exhaust fan up towards the top on the blind side out of sight a few years after the fact to pull out the humidity and heat. So far that has worked out well. You might consider doing that too for those cold days when there is a foot of snow on the roof and moisture is condensing on the inside of the skylight glass. It runs down the tunnel wall and stains the ceiling.

Tom

That's exactly what the lumber yard manager recommended, Tom. I'll wire it for a fan and a switch. :thumb

I think I'll flare the opening as much as possible (up and down the slope) to take full advantage of it. Since the trusses are 24" OC, there's not much I can do about width.

My wife's theme when she designed our retirement home was "All the glass and natural light we can get"; we have a large ranch, and we had an Andersen skylight installed in her studio, and have two large-diameter "Solatubes" in the (long) main hallway, and one in the guest suite bath (the only room in the house without a window). The Solatubes are fed light from large clear prisms on the roof, which comes down through shiny foil-lined plastic tubes to large opaque lenses in the ceiling - they literally bathe the hallway and bathroom in natural light, as if you had left the lights on full-blast (even by moonlight at night), and have no leak issues.

I considered putting some Solatubes in the garage, but I have six 6' x 6' windows there plus windows in the top sections of the doors, and have plenty of natural light without them.

I've finished everything but the hip rafter corners and the short jack trusses that mate to them. The difficulty here will be getting an accurate birdsmouth notch cut in the rafters for over the wall corners.

The hip rafters are 2" x 6", whereas the jack trusses are 2" x 4". They gotta end up at an even height, and the notches have to drop on the top plates...level, and on the outside wall...plumb. ;)

This is where all the formulas (formulae) on my framing square should come in handy. I think I'll experiment on some scrap lumber first. :ohnoes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom