Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please Help Me with This??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RAW

Presently Bought a 1996 Vette a couple days ago: This VIN has been checked, double checked , and triple checked::::

VIN # 1G1YY22P2S5106613

RPO CODES:

AG1, AG2, AK5, AQ9, AU0, BGR, BX1, B74, CF7, C68, DL5, DL8, D82, FE3, GM3, IL5, JS5, KG9, LT1, M30, MN6, NF2, NG5, NK4, N84, QA2, R74, UJ6, UX0, UIF, U52, U75, VM3, V73, XAU, YBE, Z16, Z51, 1AX, 1SB, 19I, 195, 05U

This vette presently has a LT4 Engine and is Automatic. It looks exactly like a Grand Sport, has everything inside like a GS, and is painted Deep Purple Metallic.

Now some people have said the 22 code is just coupe, but 22 is for GS Coupe, and 23 is for GS convertible. Some people have told me it can't have a LT4 Engine with Automatic Trans. I know the Vin says it is a LT1, but also the Vin says it is a 1995 and not a 1996. I know there were no GS in 1995. So what is this car????

I had a dealer check out the engine because some people said it can't be, and was just add ons. The Corvette Dealer said it is a LT4 Engine with the M30, or the 4L60-E transmission. The RPM gauge reads 6,000 rpm

Can someone please tell me why all the VIN numbers do not match what this car is supposed to be? Just want some professional opinions.

hmm

i have an idea,, a theory

maybe when the person bought the car
he bought it brand new from the factory at the end of the year and at the end of the year the LT4 engine was available

so he just paid a little extra to put it in this 95

or something liek that

when he order the 95 he had it specially made imean

The site administrator said it is possible to hav all the options form a standard coupe to make it look like a Grand Sport, but it isn't. That is what I am getting from him.

Why not just buy a grand sport and paint it later than go thru all this hassle.

Also mentioned is LT4 cannot have a automatic transmission.

You can go to the LT4 Forum and read more about this

Raw,

I thought the Corvette museum could verify anything that came out of the factory after 1982? I think it was 82.

I'd have to think you should be able to clear this up fairly easy, just go to www.corvettemuseum.com

Goodluck, hopefully you've got something special.

Rick

1995 is no problem - that's when the car itself was manufactured. They start production in April or so of the year before and the model is introduced usually in August. My 89 Subaru was made in early 88.

It's not a Grand Sport. 1G1YY (not 44) 22?... 10xxxx is normal, 60xxxx is GS. You have the 6613th non-GS Vette made that year.

AG1 - power driver's seat
AG2 - power pass seat
AK5 - dual air bags
AQ9 - sport seats
AU0 - remote keyless entry
BGR - bowling green plant
BX1 - special front-end ornamentation
B74 - ornamentation, side and wheel, black
CF7 - body-colored removeable roof
C68 - electronic climate control
DL5 - ??
DL8 - dual heated power mirrors
D82 - special paint
FE3 - sport suspension system
GM3 - 3.45 rear axle ratio
IL5 - Grand Sport Edition [WTF???]
JS5 - (j55) heavy-duty brakes
KG9 - 140-amp generator
LT1 - LT1 engine [again, WTF]
M30 - 4-speed auto transmission
MN6 - 6-speed manual [WWWTF???]
NF2 - federal tier 1 emissions
NG5 - (n65?) space-saver spare
NK4 - leather-wrapped sport steering wheel
N84 - spare tire delete
QA2 - 17x9.5 frt, 17x11 rear wheels
R74 - ???
UJ6 - low tire pressure indicator
UX0 - 6-speaker extended range system
UIF - (U1F) radio, bose, cd, etc
U52 - electronic instrument cluster
U75 - chrome power antenna
VM3 - ???
V73 - ???
XAU - 275/40 zr17 frt tire
YBE - zr1 rear tire
Z16 - Grand Sport appearance package
Z51 - sport suspension
1AX - ???
1SB - (158) slate interior trim
19I - black interior trim
195 - black leather trim
05U - primary color exterior, cyclamen (?)

Dude, you have one seriously schizophrenic car!
[RICHR]

Did you happen to run the VIN through CarFax?

What did it have on it for mileage when you bought it?

Do you have any original documentation on the car such as window sticker, name of the dealer it was purchased from, etc?

Rob

No I did not run the VIN thru Car Fax. Not sure what it is.

I am from American Samoa, and my friends girlfriend was selling her vette, so I told him I will buy it. So I did. It is locked up and stored on stands until I come to the states someday.

The car looked very nice, very fast, and the price was good. Bank Loan pay off.

When I started looking up the VIN, everthing got confusing.

When you said it was a fake, I got mad. It has all the RPO numbers that say exactly what I have listed.

Yes I have the mileage.

Yes I have the dealer window sticker which says LT4 Engine with automatic transmission.

Yes I can find out the dealer who sold it.

Why so important when it is a fake.

And what is CarFax?

Nice theory

You have a point there, Shadoe,,,,--wear a hat and maybe nobody will notice.

On the the real answers. You probably have a 95 (the 10 digit S is the giveaway). It also came out of the factory with an LT1 engine. It may have an LT4 in it now, but from the factory it had the LT1. It isn't a grand sport because their series is 600001 to 601000. The 22 code is just a coupe. My 99 has 22 and it sure ain't no GS. So what have you got? You have a 95 with an engine swap (if it is indeed an LT4, the LT1 rpo is a clue too). 05U is Dark Purple metallic (1049 made in 95) with low tire pressure warning, dual leather sport seats, You also have a curious MN6 option which is 6 speed tranny, a 96 code Z16 which is grand sport, 195 interior code which is Black-GS and a Z51 performance package. It is a mutt. It is #6613 in a series of 20294. I would get a build sheet, or call the museum and see what they might know about this. You either have something rare, or something someone put together, but the conflicting rpo's are very interesting.
Keep us informed. You have my interest!
--Drew:w

rrubel

Thanksfor the RPO code abbreviations.

I have had most of them but you helped me on the big one.

MN6 is 6 speed manual yet it also has listed M30 which is the automatic transmission.

I new something was strange with this car.

Yet this car list a LT1 and has a LT4 Engine.

And yes it does have all the options, and some I still don't know.

Thanks

The reason why I said it was a fake is because the VIN does not make sense. It indicates that it was an early to mid-production 1995 Corvette....not a 1996 Grand Sport. There are articles in Corvette magazines showing some owners who installed an LT4 engine and 1996 interior in a 1960s Corvette. Does that make it a Grand Sport? No.

As for Carfax, you can find out a car's history by running a check through CarFax:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/carfax.html

Can you scan a photo of the dealer window sticker showing the options and the VIN and post it here?

It has been re done by someone its just that simple. If the vin is a 1995 vin then the car is a 1995. What does the title say??? The car might have been rebuilt due to accident or theft. Hence the LT4 motor with automatic trans. GM did not build any LT4s with auto Trans. You need to verify by the engine S/N if it truly is an LT4 or a LT1. Also check the Auto Trans case for its S/N it should match your car if not it came from another car maybe a wreck. It sounds like this car was cobbled up by some re builder out of misc. Corvette parts.

Rob,

This is getting freaky. I will check on the car fax thing.

Before I get somebody in trouble I want to find out the truth about this car.

What I want to know is with all these options that came with this car. What is it?

Black Ice,

The bank title is 1996 , registration is 1996, Dealer window sticker is 1996.

The car looks brand new, interior and exterior. Had my friend take it to get checked, no accidents.

Rob

Ran and Paid for car fax..

It gives this car a clean bill of health all the way thru.

I don't agree with some of the Vehicle History Detail. This car has 5 different owners. The one I have has only two. And the car has never been in Ohio and Michigan.

It says it is a 1995 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe.
5.7L V8 MPT OHV 12V

First registered in May 1995.

If this is true how can this car have all the Grand Sport options from the factory?

Believe the Carfax

Simple...it can't be a 96 or GS at all. I agree with Black Ice. Maybe it was wrecked, maybe it was damaged, but one thing is clear...it isn't what you thought. Carfax doesn't lie, that car WAS in michigan and ohio. Caviat emptor.
--Drew:w
ps. You will probably love the car anyway!

Thicken the plot a little... my VID decode stuff shows some of those option codes (like IL5) *only* were used for 1996.

RAW, it's possible you transcribed the VIN wrong; I saw several mistakes in the one you typed up for us (including the 44 instead of YY). Maybe you hit one that CarFax knows about but wasn't yours. Just a guess.

Find the #'s on the engine and tranny.

[RICHR]

Drewser, CarFax isn't 100% accurate - my car has had three owners before me, at the least. It showed two - the original purchase and the purchase by the guy I got it from but not the person he bought from. It also had mileage incorrect when the last owner bought it. It also shows it was bought in New Jersey, but the guy I bought it from was almost positive it was originally a Maryland car.
[RICHR]

It might have been a "Blending"

I have an 88 convertible.

3 owners ago he updated the nose & ass off a 96 and painted it like a GS. You can buy the paint ( Admiral Blue & Artic white) and all the stripe stickers are availible.

The DONOR car might have been a GS.... that was in a wreck and pieces put in the current car that your buying.

But sumptin's fishy here. I would check the VIN tag and pay careful attention to the rivets holding the tag down.

Look at the seams..... see if she's been repainted.

Under the nose... around the AUX fan check for over spray...... hood open look at the bottom of the headlight LIDS.

How many miles... how much?

Depending on the price...it still might be a good deal... but I'm pretty sure it's a knock off and not an original GS.

I enjoy mine.. at 1/4 the cost of a real GS and it's a daily driver to boot!

Vig!

RAW said:
Presently Bought a 1996 Vette a couple days ago: This VIN has been checked, double checked , and triple checked::::

VIN # 1G1YY22P2S5106613

Can someone please tell me why all the VIN numbers do not match what this car is supposed to be? Just want some professional opinions.

It is difficult to say this but, you may have a vin pasted on your car from another car.

The dealer sticker can be doctored up too.

It is easier to sell a car like this where you are than in the USA.

The vin is also several other places on the car that sometimes are not changed by the thieves. I would report this to the Police and they can get to the root of it.

I guess the low price should have been a red flag initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom