Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

please tell me I didn't ruin my expensive chrome bumpers

Admittedly, I more or less skipped over the last couple posts above mine, so I hope I'm not already off topic, but when it comes to cleaning my chrome (all over my motorcycle), I just use a good glass cleaner like Stoners or Armor-All Automotive Glass Cleaner (which is just a hair better than Stoners, believe it or not...IMHO). I spray it on, then wipe it down with a soft towel.

A note about your towels: Do NOT use towels that you dried in the dryer with a dryer sheet or any type of fabric softener. Fabric sheets will actually leave a trace residue on your towels that will then rub off on your chrome/paint/whatever. It doesn't mix well with cleaners...
Now, if you are concerned about the towels feeling really stiff after drying since you aren't using a "fabric softener", what I do is take them out just before they are completely dry. Barely damp still, almost imperceivable. Give a good shaking/snapping from all four sides and hang them to dry. They'll be as good as softened when they are completely dry. If not, toss 'em back in the dryer just on "air" to spin 'em around and losen 'em up just a bit.

Hi Evolution

after this little incident, all i'll be using on my chrome is a hose, a wet rag, and than wax! As for towels, most of the time I stick to my microfiber cloths - those things are great, especially for waxing or quick detailing.
Yep, I agree, NEVER use the dryer sheets when washing the "car rags"

Like I keep sayin', just treat your good chrome like your paint. [Chrome polish can make you rusty old chrome look a lot better]

Ok- its my turn. Assuming there is just some hair line scratches,, I'd do the following- - Get the Dremel. Break out the dremel and use the polising pads with wax.

You will be at this all day. However, the swirls WILL come out. Dust and debris are the BIGGEST enemies to a nice chrome finish. You use bad rags or try to polish it and miss some amount of fine particulate matter and you get less than desireable results.

Good luck. Chrome looks better than aything else until it gets funky. Then, it looks like doody. Same goes with bright colors under the hood. Yellow makes a statement right up to the point where it gets a little grease... then it says "help me!".

From Caswell for stainless swirl marks:

"Eliminating 'Swirl' Marks

Swirl marks caused by buffing in the final stages can easily be removed by wetting the part with a damp cloth, then dusting with a powder such as:- Whiting, Talcum Powder or Corn Starch, then buff on your wheel again until the swirls disappear."

wow, how did this older thread get restarted? ;LOL

I'm not touching these bumpers again! I already screwed the one up and not taking any chances on making it worst. The car is still in the paint shop and reassembly should start next week.
I explained what happened to my painter and he said when I bring the parts back for reassembly he will take a look at the bumper and he may be able to polish some of the scratches out. If not, I'll live with it until I can get it rechromed. The swirl marks are noticable if you look for them, but i'm sure that they are more noticable to me than to anyone else.

Ok Barry...I went to page 5 here and skiped most of the other pages... So..if this has been suggested in a previous post..please excuse..

Like John Z has stated.. Wax is the only thing to put on your chrome. But the magic trick I use which comes from back in the day....is to pre clean the bumpers using soft Turkish Towell washed and worn in with not a lot of detergent.

But ...before you wipe spray on the magic solution "Windex"...it works wonders on chrome.. After cleaning with the windex and turkish towells..Wax...

Anytime you clean the crome bumpers..always make sure there is no dust or dirt on them. Then clean with windex and wax...I use a good Carnewba Paste wax and elbow grease..

DON'T USE A FRIGEN POLISH.....IT IS ABRASIVE...!!!..WAX ON....WAX..OFF

:beer

Mark

yep, I learned the hard, and expensive, way again during this.
Luckily I only screwed up the one bumper but on the others all i'm going to clean them with now is water (or windex) and wax. The chrome cleaner went into the trash and i'll never purchase that stuff again.

how is your car coming along this week Mark?

BarryK said:
Mark

yep, I learned the hard, and expensive, way again during this.
Luckily I only screwed up the one bumper but on the others all i'm going to clean them with now is water (or windex) and wax. The chrome cleaner went into the trash and i'll never purchase that stuff again.

how is your car coming along this week Mark?

Slow but sure..only have the week ends to work on it . On the 18th the car goes to the Hot Rod Shop to have the headers connected to the Sweet Thunder
side pies. In between ..I have sand blasting and painting on the bumper brackets and then tackle the electical system which is going to be a Hip Hop Custom install...:L .. Also have work insid the car ..new carpets paint the center dash area install radio and glove box ..etc. Then comes the Alignment shop and the fire up...hopefully mid july..

well, you are lucky, at least you have the '86 to enjoy in the meantime :)

BarryK said:
well, you are lucky, at least you have the '86 to enjoy in the meantime :)

Yeah ..but when do I drive it????

Viet Nam Vett said:
Yeah ..but when do I drive it????

my misunderstanding than Mark, sorry. I saw you with the '86 at Rob's place and thought you may have used her as a semi-daily driver. If it was between the '86 or the t-bird I'm guessing the vette gets better gas milage.
Besides, you had her at a show just the next day! :eyerole

BarryK said:
my misunderstanding than Mark, sorry. I saw you with the '86 at Rob's place and thought you may have used her as a semi-daily driver. If it was between the '86 or the t-bird I'm guessing the vette gets better gas milage.
Besides, you had her at a show just the next day! :eyerole

The Thunderchicken is the daily driver.. Classic car insurance on the 86 so I can't use it for work.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom