Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plug Wire Question.

MoeJr

Corvette
Vetteless
I just ordered the tune up kit for my 84 Vette. The wires on the car right now are not the right lengths and so forth. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what wires go where as in lengths so I know. I know one has a straight boot. What cylinder is that one supposed to be on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

What kind of tune up kit was it? I found that unless it was ordered from MAD or something the lengths wont match anyways. I ordered a set of MSD's for mine and just had to take each plug wire and try for the best fit. Keep in mind routing as well. Sometimes a short reach requires a longer wire for routing pursposes. As to the straight boot, I am not sure. I dont think the previous two sets had a straight boot.

Craig

I ordered the tune up kit from MAD. I guess I'll just have to match them best I can.

Straight boot on number six for me. Actually...it's more of a 45-degree bend vice the 90-degree bend for the other seven. I'm in the middle of swapping out the factory wires for some Taylor 8mm. I'm hoping/praying that I'll be able to squeeze these in the factory looms. I also wish I had smaller hands...routing those wires behind the driver's side valve cover is a pain. :ugh

Oh...back to your original question (I'm trying to remember from last night and am at work today so I can't go out and look at the car). Number 1, 2, and 3 were all approximately the same length (longest). Number 4 was slightly shorter. Numbers 5 and 6 were approximately the same size as was number 7 and 8. I can't get exact lengths for you, sorry. But, with the Taylor set, each factory wire was approximately an inch shorter than the replacement wire, which will give me a little fudge factor when routing these. Good luck with your wire swap.

Cheers,

Joe

I just got done replacing the cap,rotor,MAP Sensor and wires. I will test drive the car as soon as my wife is home so she can watch our son. As for doing the wires all I can say is *&*^*&^$%&^$!!!!!!!. The guy who invented the air pump and its related pipes should be shot. I have the wire lengths now as I found them on the msd site. If anyone wants them let me know. I'll update you after I test drive the car.

:beer

I have straight boots on all of my plugs... But I made my wires. Good luck with the tune up.

UPDATE!!

The car runs like a new vehicle. The wire on #6 was he suspect one and it seems to have cleared up beautifully. I took it out an cruised at all different speeds and it was smooth as silk. Got on it good and it accelerated with no issues. I am very pleased. The AC Delco wires seem to be alot better than the Autolites I had on there. Next up will be to eliminate the darn emmission tubes. Will make the wires alot less susseptible(sp?) to burning on them should they make contact. Thanks for all the help.

:beer

Congratulations!! :beer I'm glad to hear the job worked out so well. Mine came out quite well, too. In case anyone is curious, the 8mm wires fit quite nicely in the stock looms. The really odd thing about the whole job was that putting the new wires on was far easier than taking off the old ones. This may be the first time I found it easier to put something back together. I couldn't agree more with your comments regarding the air pump. Bastages!! Oh, and a huge Kudos to Taylor for their decision to make their wires approximately 1-inch longer than stock. That little bit of length made such a huge difference when routing the wires.

Cheers,

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom