Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plugged A/C drain

E

E-Chick

Wow was I in for a surprise with this one!

I had noticed a puddle of water in the garage about a week and a half before I found out the problem...I thought it was from my daughter's (she's 17) car that is parked next to mine. She had just washed it and I figured it was due to that.

A week later, while going out to eat, I pointed out to my son (he's 13) that there was water under my car in the parking lot. He's VERY mechanically inclined, so I valued his opinion. He said that it was probably due to the typical water drainage from the A/C but it was a lot of water and we should ask dad. I failed to ask my husband, who's a commercial refrigeration contractor BTW.

It didn't happen the next 2 days, but I noticed a slight odor. I planned on calling the dealer after I was finished at my dental appointment that day.

WELL, when I came outside and got in the car...it wouldn't start. No cranking, no sound, no nothing! So I freaked out and called major guard for a tow to the dealer. While I was waiting, I thought I'd gather my belongings and shake out the floor mats and to my surprise, the floor on the passenger side was drenched. Like a gallon or more of water drenched. I figured that the fuse box was wet and caused the car to not start...told the dealership. They said that the A/C drain must be clogged and cleaned it. It was and problem solved...just be on the look out for those pesky puddles! You've been warned!

E-Chick,

While driving my 1999 C5 coupe out-of-state on vacation last summer, the horn began to honk, the guages repeatedly "swept", the hatch kept releasing, the doors kept locking and unlocking, and various DIC messages were displayed.

I realized there was water dripping under the RH dash, and the mat was soaked. The car soon shut down and was immobilized.

The a/c drain had clogged and caused water to back-up and drip into the main computer which is in a compartment in the RH foot well. The water wicked into the compartment and followed the wiring into the computer, ruining it.

The car was repaired under the new car warranty, but it took five days. I was provided a Toyota SUV which ran perfectly (unlike my C5). The mechanic stated the clogged a/c drain was common and many a C5 computer had been ruined. He belived the drain design was poor and prone to clogging.

Your C5 fuse box was probably not wet - the computer was affected. This is another poor design feature of the C5 and Chevrolet is well aware of the problem.

Good luck.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Is that drain something a guy can check from time to time ?

Yeah, I forgot about the trunk release and another weird thing...windows would sometimes partially lower on their own while parked...do-do do-do...very strange!

I don't know if it's something an average person could check on or not.

Maybe there's someone else who knows...

:(

DkBG,

The drain is a 90 degree elbow that exits the firewall, between the firewall and the RH side of the engince. It can be reached from the top of the engine compartment by sliding your hand/arm between the RH engine head and the firewall. The engine must be cool. You can "squeeze" the drain opening to ensure that sludge has not blocked it. I believe the opening is too small, and that it is prone to clogging with small particles. Good luck.

E-Chick said:
Yeah, I forgot about the trunk release and another weird thing...windows would sometimes partially lower on their own while parked...do-do do-do...very strange!

I don't know if it's something an average person could check on or not.

Maybe there's someone else who knows...

:(

Had the same thing happen on my 2000 coupe - very strange! Major Guard did not want to cover it because they said it was a lack of maintenace issue. My service writer then talked to a manager at GMPP and convinced them it was a design flaw and should be covered, along with the rental car for the 5 days it took to replace the computer and get it fixed.

Having a good service writer is invaluable, imho. A little "Christmas present" never hurts!

Some people shut the a/c off a couple miles before they get to their destination to promote draining and ridding the compartment of moisture. FWIW.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom