Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Polish exhaust tips

Z

zgator

I've got 2 1/2" SS duel exhaust.Is there anyway I can polish the ends that come off the rear.I got some chrome tips but they made it stick down too far.I would like to polish what I have.Is this possiable?Thanks.

I had factory tips put on my flowmasters and it looks and sounds great.

Would seem to me you could polish what you have, however, they didnt take that into consideration when they made them. hence the material they use will meet standards for stainless exhaust, but may not polish well at all. too many diffrent grades of stainless to figure it out.

Let me know what you do .....

I got some chrome tips but they made it stick down too far.
Why not just take a Sawzall and trim the length of the chrom tips? I did that on mine so they didn't stick out too far. Believe it or not, simply cutting off about 1.5-2" also changed the exhaust sound. (The tips apparently cause just a hair bit of resonance, which gave the exhaust a slightly higher, hollow pitch (when they were longer).)

I never thought that triming would change the sound but when you think about it it does sound like it would work.Thanks for the tip.I could trim off at least 2-2 1/2" no problem.So you are saying that it would sound deeper? I re-read your post,You mean you trimmed your chrome tips?What would happen if I trimmed my pipes?

I never thought that triming would change the sound but when you think about it it does sound like it would work.Thanks for the tip.I could trim off at least 2-2 1/2" no problem.So you are saying that it would sound deeper? I re-read your post,You mean you trimmed your chrome tips?What would happen if I trimmed my pipes?
Yeah, I trimmed the tips. If I goof up cutting the tips, it's not a major issue to replace it. Nor is it expensive. If I cut the exhaust tip and mangle that up, I'm replacing the whole muffler, which is more time AND money then the cheaper tips. Not to mention the tips are easier to cut because they are significantly thinner than the thicker steel or aluminum of the exhaust tips!

247981826_fbc02236db_o.jpg

247981827_372c9edeef_o.jpg

When I first had them on, they stuck about another 1.5" - 2" farther and it just looked out of place. Not to mention I scraped my shin on that nice thin edge walking by it one day. I wasn't used to it sticking out so far. So I cut it back. I too was surprised to hear such a noticable sound difference. Since there was less of that thin metal at the end, the pitch lowered when I cut them. Wasn't so tinny sounding.

I see that your tips come stright out.My pipe turns down.Do you think I would still get a change in sound?

I see that your tips come stright out.My pipe turns down.Do you think I would still get a change in sound?
Yup. Think of a horn. If you change the orientation, other than the volume or it's distance to a solid object, whether it's upside-down, or rightside-up, the sound is same after it leaves the 'cone', more or less. (Bad analogy coming from someone that has some working knowledge of sound dymanics.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom