Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Polishing stainless steel

LLC5

Corvette
98 black 6spd convert.
Has anyone found a way to polish stainless steel to make it look like chrome/near chrome, if so what product did you use?

My brother's buddy polishes SS so it looks like a mirror. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Try C-Magic's metal cleaner. Got some last week at Vettes On The Rockies from the distributor. Can find them on-line. Good for aluminum, chrome, ss, etc.
Barrett

My brother's buddy polishes SS so it looks like a mirror. I'll see what I can find out for you.

That's the look I'm going for, if you could find out what he uses that would be great.

I'll look up C-Magic also, I do remember reading good things about it a while ago. Thanks for the reply's.

I have emailed my brother, we'll see what info he can get for us.

I've been working with metal polishing for years as it happens (finally I can contribute instead of milking) ;LOL

Stainless is best polished using buffing compounds and a buffing wheel on a bench grinder/buffer.

I use black compound on a sisal wheel for the 'rough' work and then finish off with white compound on a soft buffing wheel.

All of these products are available at Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc. I've been using their products for 10 years and they are the NUTS. Quick shipping and reasonable prices.

They have a lot of great products, including electroless plating. You can chrome plate items on your stove. Yep, it works GREAT.

Also, check out the free info at:

Introduction To Buffing and Polishing - Caswell Inc.

I have no affiliation with Caswell other than being a customer.

Hope this helps,

Jim

I've been working with metal polishing for years as it happens (finally I can contribute instead of milking) ;LOL

Stainless is best polished using buffing compounds and a buffing wheel on a bench grinder/buffer.

I use black compound on a sisal wheel for the 'rough' work and then finish off with white compound on a soft buffing wheel.

All of these products are available at Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc. I've been using their products for 10 years and they are the NUTS. Quick shipping and reasonable prices.

They have a lot of great products, including electroless plating. You can chrome plate items on your stove. Yep, it works GREAT.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out.

Jim, that is a very informative site..I bookmarked it..

The best thing I've found for Stainless is Micro-Mesh 6000. You can find it on the web. If you want that mirror finish I give it a big :thumb

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim, I've got an aluminum battery box cover for my C5. After I polish it, what's the best way to seal it or protect it to keep it shiney? Can I shoot it with some Dupli-Color clear coat paint? What do you recommend?
Thanks,
Dennis

Hey Dennis,

I've had good luck with Krylon clear for polished aluminum.

There are also wax/polishes you can use that do the deed.

I've also used the Zaino Clear Seal on polished aluminum and something as easy as Turtle Wax liquid.

Just about anything will protect it if it keeps the air away from it.

Hope that helps,

Jim

You just may do better leaving it without any "protective" film and giving it an occasional overall buffing out like the other poster suggested (section on stainless).

Being close to a battery any slight nick in the clear coat will allow some of the corrosive to get under and start doing it's "dirty business".

I fought and .... lost that battle with my OEM wheels .... 2000 five spoke with a gloss finish .... and with my low gloss 1996 Toyota 4X.

Worked on and off for a few weeks with the Mothers ball and polishes and compounds and like peeing into the wind ...... all I got was a wet foot!

No protective coating ..... it would have been a different story. Not easy ..... and certainly not a 10 minute task .... but with patience, they would have been shining again.

I ain't "no rocket scientist" ... but I was an aviation metalsmith and body worker for a bit ....

I have noted that some restoration kits for wheels sell a can of stripper to get the clear coat off.

I'd just make it part of the "annual drill" ..... to buff it up and protect it with no more than a coat of wax or something easy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom