Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Polishing wheels.

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
Here is a before and after photo of the aluminum center hubs. I used gray Scotch Brite pads, then 000 steel wool, and then 0000 steel wool and finally Mother's to buff them. I probably could have gotten away without the Mother's because it is very abrasive and all aluminum has a grain like wood grain. If you swirl Mother's it will scratch in swirls. Anyway, I am going to do this to each wheel one at a time. I decided to forgo the aircraft stripper. I called Bondo and they said it could destroy the rubber on the tires and I do not have the resources to unmount the rims and do them one at a time. So some Scotch Brite, steel wool, and elbow grease will do the trick. They will shine like new when I am done with them. Anyone have any ideas what to apply to the finished surface BESIDES poly to keep them shiny?

Paul

DSCN2821.jpg

Actually, the one on the left is so shiny it is like a mirror. This photo does not do it justice.

Paul, I think that some guys use a product called ZOOP-SEAL (not sure of the spelling) that they claim is superior seal for aluminum.

Ahhh! Thanks again Tom!

Happy toikey day by the way!!

I'm gonna try that sealer because I know what it is like to keep aircraft aluminum looking pretty, a LOT of elbow grease and polish.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom