Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poll: Who Did You Buy Your current C3 From?

Where Did you Get Your Current C3 From?

• Took NEW delivery at Chevy Dealer (anybody?)

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Local car dealer

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Out of town dealer

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • Local classified ad--from individual

Votes: 113 28.8%
  • EBAY

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • From Friend/Relative/Neighbor

Votes: 74 18.9%
  • Spotted it for sale on the side of the road

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • I'm lucky, somebody just gave me mine

Votes: 14 3.6%

• Total voters
Dad had my '81 for about 10 years. He found a 72 that he always wanted. He started restoring the 72 and lost interest in the 81. Things started going wrong with it like master cylinder, calipers, brake lines, belts ect. this was from it sitting (it got about 25 miles a year). I gave him so much grief about it sitting he yelled at me one day..WHY DONT YOU BUY IT? so I did. Now we both have Vettes and its the greatest "bonding" we have ever had. We clean them together, drive them together, show them together, and complain about them together....and the funny thing is his wife and my wife both complain about us spending to much time with our cars to each other.....so I guess not only has it improved my life by giving me a great hobby (passion) but has also brought a family closer together....Cant say that about many types of cars.

I bet there isnt a dry eye in the house. :cry

Got my 81 from a little old lady. She was the second owner. It was sitting outside while her son's 2004 Mustang was in the garage. Needless to say the paint and weatherstripping is shot. What a waste of space.

Bought my first C3 Vette from a mechanic friend that couldnt find the time to work on it. Was just taking up space in his shop so I drove it home to it's new life. Let the restoration begin.

Searched locally & net for numbers matching war bonnet roadster. Found it several states away. Fly up? ... NOPE ... like a dumbazz cheapskate, I went greyhound (what a freakin' experience, not to be repeated ... the ride was OK... my neighbors weren't). Stayed a coupla days and checked car closely on rack at prearranged friendly garage. Bought from a private owner of many years, had sat for most of it ... inaugural fill-up w/Sunoco 110 race gas from a very cooperative local race shop ... then I "flew" nearly 1000 miles back home with no car problems.
JACK:gap
-edit- NO, I didn't even look for a car on eBay ... parts yes, cars no.

I Guess I'm One Of The Lucky Few

I bought my '72 roadster from Cormier Chevrolet in May of 1972. It had been a factory car, loaned to Andy Granitelli and used in an STP commercial. I picked it up with 1,900 miles on the odometer . . . for $5,400. It was a vinyl interior, peanut plug automatic (8.5 to 1 compression) with a/c and CA emissions.

33 years later, it proudly wears 25 coats of candy apple red paint, a 383 stroker motor (same serial numbers), about 90,000 total miles, and a huge grin on the face of the driver. It has never been wrecked, and is very tight (I always drove slowly over RR tracks, speed bumps and driveways.

Every once in a while I think about selling it, because my C6 is much more fun to drive. But, this was my first Vette (the "6" is my eighth), so I can always say I still own my first Vette and my last one.

Just call me Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine came from CAC

I was looking on CAC one night a little more than a year ago and saw this beautiful silver/green '82. Sent the gentleman a message, he sent me more pics, we made the deal. I flew to New Hampshire, spent the night at his home in upper Mass. and drove it back to Oklahoma. Could not have had a better experience. And the car won 1st place in the C3 category at the largest strictly Corvette show in Oklahoma this past Saturday!

Lucky in Love and getting my Vette

I was dating this woman (now my wife) and she said her friend had a 80 vette that they did not drive. Her friend would not sell it so we gave up. About a year later she ran into the woman in the grocery store and the woman said "Is your friend still interested in getting a Vette". My wife said that her friend (me)was now her fiance and yes I was still interested. We looked at it and bought it that night.

Lucky

We got lucky getting ours. I inherited my grandpa's 1968 427 Black Convertible when he died and we bought the 1979 L-82 Black Coupe from my mom. I grew up with vettes, my parents currently have 4, so it was only a matter of time before I passed the fever onto my husband!
Melissa

Bought my 1980 Corvette new in the fall of 1980 from Bud Wolf Chevrolet in Indianapolis-Midnight Blue inside and out, L-48, auto.

fellow vettenatic

Bought mine from a fellow vette fanatic from sydney. Australia.

Was totally original except right hook. [we drive on the correct side of the road]

Tracked her down thru vette car club over here. The gent that had her ,kept

her in her own three car garage, fully fitted out with its own pit and all.

regards ernie :lou

Well, this is an interesting thread! I have an interesting story on how I acquired my first Corvette.

I acquired my Corvette at an estate auction just a couple weeks ago. They were liquidating the contents of a home, and the son of the deceased owner put a 1975 Corvette and a 1969 Nova up for auction.

He acquired this Vette from a local businessman (who apparently owed him some money) – and said it had not been on the road in the last year and a half. It had been driven from somewhere nearby to his house, conveniently located across the street from the location of the sale. Obviously there was not much attachment to the Corvette from this guy.

I was really more interested in the Nova, but the combination of the two piqued enough interest that I had to go. I had never gone to an estate auction before.

I had plenty of time to look the car over, but I had never really looked at a Vette before, so I just did some basic used car checking – to get an idea of the condition of the car. It was a little faded on the hood, and some of the paint was starting to bubble. Lots of non-essential parts missing (like the AC compressor, seat belt, radio antenna, choke blade, etc) and it had way-too-wide rims in the back.

This car started, barely, with a high idle and lots of backfiring. The seller indicated the rear frame was solid, and it was going to need brake work and a carb rebuild.

The cars were auctioned at noon. The Corvette went first and bidding started low, so I jumped in. I don’t think any Corvette enthusiasts were there, as I was bidding against people who were buying other items at the auction (no doubt to resell). I felt the bidding was quite low on the car, based on what I had seen on ebay and various web sites. By 2:15 I had the title in my hand. (The Nova bidding went way too high so it was a good thing I did not wait for that.) The seller let me leave the car on the property so I could arrange to get it home.

Well when I left there I thought I would get it the next Monday (it was Saturday). By the time I got home I had caught the bug and wanted to get it home ASAP. I put together a box of tools and supplies. When I got back to the car, I added some brake fluid, but it did not help the soft brake pedal. There were no leaks so I guessed it must be the master cylinder. I figured the only way I could drive with such spongy brakes was if I could get the engine running OK (the high idle was overpowering the brakes).

Then I changed the plugs (the plugs that were in the car were at least one heat range too cold), and noticed that four of the eight wires were not clicked on to the plug. Once I fixed these problems that Chevy idled real high, which I fixed easily by cranking down the idle and reducing the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. By then this Corvette was starting to sound really good.

I do not recommend this, but then I drove it about half an hour on really weak brakes to get it home. I had one of my buddies drive ahead so he could give me warning of any sudden braking needed. I used the soft brakes and the shifter to stop the car.

Now it’s in my garage and waiting patiently for me to finish up other projects to really get started on it – hopefully in the next week or two.

Congratulations on your "new" vette. Sounds like you might have a real sleeper there!
Oh yeah, welcome to the CAC. The best website on the internet, IMO!

Yes, congrats on the great find. Estate auctions can hold some unexpected bargains at times.

Welcome to the CAC,
Tom

I got mine from a guy who's son works for the same company as me but in a different division. This old man had his son send out an e-mail on our companies buletin board. Any way, the best I can tell he bought the car 5 years ago and put 400 miles on it (best I can figure). He had it parked in an old dirt floor barn. My avatar is when I found it.

Nice save skydaddy. That damp floor would eat up that frame in a short time.

Tom

I got mine from Giant Inland Empire RV centre in Upland near Calif. it was a total POS, jsut what I wanted :D

Just bought my first -'82' silver blue, 3rd owner, 39k miles. Bought it on Ebay, sight unseen! Located only 300 miles from me. Bought a lot of things on ebay, but nothing for any large amounts. Had a friend fly my down, all the time hoping that I hadn't made a mistake. Got there the car was just as it was described. Sounded good, no stress cracks, etc. Drove it back-rain all the way- only a couple of drops thru the glass T-tops which made me feel good. It needs the typical work done-vacuum for headlights, power locks,windows. Had a new a/c compressor included with it, because the one on the car was locked up. Found the original dealer invoice in side pocket, listed for a little over 21k. Has the aluminum wheels, tires have about 12k on them. Paint looks good except on rear spoiler it is a little thin.Gave $9500, not sure if that is good or bad, prices seem to be all over the board.

Bought new 1968, :D

I'd say you did good on that '82 for $9500. Sounds like you're happy with it, and it's a very low mileage car. Nice color too, I might add. Congrats, and welcome!

Iron Cross, congrats on that new '68 as well!

I bought my 02 from a local Chevy dealer.I bought my 80 coupe from a guy across town.It was in the local paper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom