Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poll: Who Did You Buy Your current C3 From?

Where Did you Get Your Current C3 From?

• Took NEW delivery at Chevy Dealer (anybody?)

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Local car dealer

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Out of town dealer

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • Local classified ad--from individual

Votes: 113 28.8%
  • EBAY

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • From Friend/Relative/Neighbor

Votes: 74 18.9%
  • Spotted it for sale on the side of the road

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • I'm lucky, somebody just gave me mine

Votes: 14 3.6%

• Total voters
slyone1000 said:
Bought my 1971 LT1 back in 1977........yes I was 17.....it was in a neighbors BARN....son went to war, and never got home. Paid $1000 for it. And that was a Lot of money for me back then. It was covered with chicken Sh*t. But the interor was in great shape, Except for the 2 Copper Head snakes I found. The Vette had 17,000 original miles on it when I got it. Now I am working on the 3rd time rebuild.......and hopfully the last rebuild time.....LOL
Those snakes musta got your attention in a hurry. I think that woulda been the end of that car for me!
What color is the car? How many miles have you put on it? I'd like to see some pictures if you have any.

-John

Purchased my 81 new from Local Chevy Dealer

My wife and I when for one of those week-end, not planning to buy trips to local Chevy dealer here in Irvine California, made the mistake of walking through the show room and boom there sat this two tone silver/dark grey Vette. Had a Navy buddy who would buy a new Vette every 3 - 4 yrs from his high school car deal friend in the mid west back in the 60's and I have had the bug ever since to own a vette. Saleman walks out and jocking I said that I would go 15K for the 18K+ sticker price. The saleman, says hold on a minute, goes and talks to his manager and after hours of back and forth. We ended up trading my 1970 Ford Mavrick (176K), ran like new since it had custom transistor ignition (home made) and a Frantz oil filter, orginal paint and interior was like new. The dealer assumed the mileage was 76K and since he didn't ask, I didn't volunteer. Bottom line is that we drove out that pm with the 81 and still have it today, I plan on being buried in it. Over the years have replaced many worn out components, but still love the way it sounds and drives. Since retirement, it has become my preferred mode of tranport after my Tenn Walking horse.

Im waiting for delivery of a 71 big block coupe. To bad the poll didnt offer a choice of found on internet classifieds. I found mine online at Collector Car Trader. Im just waiting for Fed-Ex to ship it to me.Hopefully in the next few days or so Ill be the proud owner of a C3!!!! Lucky me...Ill have a a C3 and a C4 along with a very understanding wife!!

The Snakes were gone quick.......I was 17 years old at the time......kept them as pets for a few months. The Vette was Brans Hatch Green when I got it. Has been a few colors since then. It is Silver right now. That is the Base color for the Colbolt Blue Candy paint going on it. The Vette has 101,000 miles on it now. I do not have photos to post right now.......want it to be a surprise when I get done.

Probably a little late on the trigger but I bought my first Vette in College (a 67) with my dad and we hid it from my mom (for while). My '72 I bought from the classified and my current '81 I bought from a friend at work 15 years ago. I remember the first day he came to work in it. I had ridden in it and drove it numerous times before he agreed to sell it to me. Nice to buy one that you know the entire petigree of the car.

........ Nut

slyone1000 said:
The Snakes were gone quick.......I was 17 years old at the time......kept them as pets for a few months. The Vette was Brans Hatch Green when I got it. Has been a few colors since then. It is Silver right now. That is the Base color for the Colbolt Blue Candy paint going on it. The Vette has 101,000 miles on it now. I do not have photos to post right now.......want it to be a surprise when I get done.
I'll be looking forward to seeing those pictures! Good luck.

Was taking delivery of a 1966 Mustang 2+2 Fastback one morning. As I was on my way there, my cell phone rings and the seller is on the phone telling me that he "just sold it" to his buddy...this was after I drove 200 miles to see it the weekend before AND after I left him with a deposit.

Being totally devastated...been looking for a 66 Stang fastback in that condition for 5 years...I took the long way back home. Snugged up to the road was this tired looking Vette. I pulled over, offered the guy cash and drove it home that night. Never knew a damn thing about a Vette and had honestly never even sat in the drivers seat of one before...owned a 70 Camaro SS that I had been restoring...but figured if I could get it going it would be a pretty fun "beater".

Three years later, it is still a "beater" but it has become my daily driver in good weather. Haven't done much to it either but when I finish the restoration on the Camaro this month...the Vette will be going under the knife this next Winter for a full restoration...it has certainly earned it...great car!!!

I thought I was getting a deal.... bought mine from my Dad for $1.

I've since put well over $6000 into it! And it is no where near being done! :mad

Adam1979 said:
I thought I was getting a deal.... bought mine from my Dad for $1.

My son is still waiting for me to croak and the lawyer to say, "It's all yours." :D Hahahaahaha Boy has he got a long wait. I told him I intend to live forever. He mumbled something like; "...yeah, I noticed."

........ Nut

My buddy bugged me for a few yaers to buy this 76 vette. He said was a special edition of some kind. I could not think of any special 76 vettes aside from the L82, this one is a 48. The car belonged to a friend of his that passed away and his dad had the car out in the back yard for yaers and the car had not been driven for over 10 years. I was not interested, I have 3 other car projects going on and was looking for a 38 or 39 ford two door. (still have not found one).

So last summer he bugged me once more and something inside me clicked and I suddenly was interested. I went to look at it and found a basket case. we worked out a deal and it is in its new home and will be restored, frame off, but as a driver. We planned on selling it after the restoration but we now can not part with it.

My Daddy gave me my 1969 Daytona Yellow 300hp Coupe for my 33rd Birthday
:birth

He bought it new in 1968 when I was 5 years old. (I think the color is called Daytona Yellow). Of course the car had hundreds of thousands of miles on it and needed to be completely mechanically overhauled but the paint/interior/suspension had been extremely well maintained and looked near showroom. I don't know the actual mileage since the odo in a '69 doesn't work most of the time and didn't work in the car for well more than 10 years, but it's been over two times and is up to 275,000 miles that I know of.

Birthday gifts and thank you's to family. You guys are lucky. Feel fortunate (as I'm sure you already do). It is also great because you know so much about the car already. There aren't too many surprises hanging around. How about giving us a little bit of history on each of your vehicles? Any fond memories of the 69 Koop? What about you Waterboy?

Ripp 76 said:
Birthday gifts and thank you's to family. You guys are lucky. Feel fortunate (as I'm sure you already do). It is also great because you know so much about the car already. There aren't too many surprises hanging around. How about giving us a little bit of history on each of your vehicles? Any fond memories of the 69 Koop? What about you Waterboy?

Memories?? As for me.... last year the day after Easter he passed away and now the car is mine. I would much rather obviously have him here and drive the car occasionaly but now its in my garage under cover. So it definietly has sentimental value and will never leave my family. In my opinion that is the best way to own one with such sentimental value....it means more....everything you do to the car...wash it wax it........clean something and just everything in general if you know what I mean.....

Ripp 76 said:

T Boning a VW bug in 1974 (I was about 10) with my 10 year old friend sitting in the back facing backwards with his arms out on the deck with the rear window out. Fiberglass went everywhere! There is still Grease pencil on one of the A arms with the date of replacement.

The great transmission fire of 1997, Plastic does not smell good when on fire.

140+ MPH Scary.

I have some pics standing next to the car in the early '70s, good memories.

Bought my 79 from the original owner two years not far from where I work. Got the maintenance records, window sticker and all of the smog parts that he removed from the car.

Purchased mine from a classmate/ex-Philadelphia Eagle cheerleader at Pepperdine University in 87'. I got the car...She got (12) A's (4.0)! Who said pretty women were dumb?

PS: She has first right of repurchase if I ever decide to sell the car.

i bought mine from an auto broker/finance company out of state. it was the personal car of the company's owner. it appears as though he took it back as a repo several years ago (but i'm not 100% certain on the facts). he had done a lot of the exterior and mechanical work and left me the task of gutting and rebuilding the interior, which i am just beginning lol.

The '79 found it on the internet. Flew out to look at it, bought it and flew out the following week and drove it home.

The '73 found it on our NCRS Driveline newletter in the classifieds. It was one of our local chapter member's car.

Saw mine sitting on a flatbed at a local specialty car dealer one Sunday afternoon. It was headed for an out of state auction on Wednesday. Exhausted my resources to get her. Came with window sticker, build sheet, original dealer invoice and a 3-ring binder of other docs from the original and one other owner. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom