Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poll: Who Did You Buy Your current C3 From?

Where Did you Get Your Current C3 From?

• Took NEW delivery at Chevy Dealer (anybody?)

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Local car dealer

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Out of town dealer

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • Local classified ad--from individual

Votes: 113 28.8%
  • EBAY

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • From Friend/Relative/Neighbor

Votes: 74 18.9%
  • Spotted it for sale on the side of the road

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • I'm lucky, somebody just gave me mine

Votes: 14 3.6%

• Total voters
P

photovette

After the talk of ebay and buying cars site unseen from dealers on the other side of the country, I'm wondering how it breaks down--thus the poll.

The wife bought mine from 'Corvette World' in Irving TX... for my birthday. It was sitting out back, all it needed was a little TLC, and $40k later... it looks and runs great.

Mine was sitting in a barn about 12 miles away, the previous owner bought it 4 years earlier and never got it running; the steering column looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to it. I had a rebuilt column in it two days later.
I have quite a lot of time and money in it and still have more to go, at least now it is not my daily transportation :L

Pops got sick of fixing it so he gave it to me. Its now in my garage in a zillion pieces!

I bought mine on eBay. I only gave the guy a deposit, and brought the rest in cash... picked it up in person. So, I guess it wasn't site unseen. There were a few issues with the car that he did not disclose, but nothing a little money and some elbow grease couldn't fix.

Bought mine from Northwest Corvette in Canton Ohio. Found it on the web. Nice car but wish I knew who owned it prior. Found out the last owner had it 10 years but that is about it.

I bought my Red 1982 Cross-fire Corvette from my brother, 97RedCorvette, when he wanted his 97 pilot C5. He had it for 10 years in Virginia before I bought it and I just loved the curves of the body styling. I spent about 3 years tweaking, tuning, fixing, rebuilding and restoring while I drove it another 26,000 miles.

None of the options listed. Found it on the internet, not ebay, caught a flight out to look at it, and ended up driving it home.

tom...

Spotted mine at the Mid-Missouri Corvette Cup Car Show. Just happened to be driving by, stopped by asked some questions and the rest is history.

:pat

Spotted my '72 Bryar Blue convert, on Ebay, bid on it and did not win, was notified by the seller that the high bidder did not even call him. I drove about 600 miles and bought it. L48, 4 speed, air, ps, pb, pw, tilt/tele, both tops & all owner history, including POP and all papers.

Our 81...

...picked her up from aguy in Townsville (Queensland Australia) around two years ago.
What a mess!
Rebuilt the diff, installed new uni's and balanced the shafts, rebuilt the tranny, new tranny mount, rebuilt the donk with 20 thou over and balanced internals, slightly bigger lump stick and a set of LT1 Corvette valve springs, bigger valves of course, a set of Yella Terra Street Terra roller rockers and a high volume oil pump to keep her lubed up.
Rebulit the brake booster, installed new front discs (the other ones were cactus after 20 years), overhauled the calipers, installed new rubber brake lines, new ball joints, a set of Koni adjustable shocks went under her, rebuilt the steering box (because she is right hand drive, the steering box is out of a toyota), new big block radiator, new seals around the radiator (MOST IMPORTANT ON KEEPING YOUR SHARK COOL), replaced the 16" American Racing rims with a set of new steel rims as per the build sheet, tyres as per the build sheet (She tracks better now with the same size tyres all round), new extractors (headers), ****ed the Holley off and purchased a new Edelbrock QJet from the US - instantly picked up another 40 hp going from 650 cfm to 795 cfm again - 'all about airflow'.
All I have left to do is the trailing arm bearings and all the bushes in the rear end. Should have done these when the diff was out as under load, she seems like she is crabing under the torque. Could be just me trying to hang on! :L

Have many more $$$$ to spend on the interior and a new sound system, but am getting the driveline spot on so I can at least enjoy her as I am going. She has improved a hell of a lot since we picked her up and you can see where the $25000 Au has gone!
Might look at pulling the body off in the future and restoring the body mounts as well as a new coat of code 75 red. This will be after we pick up Vette No 2, possibly a 92 or later ragtop in yellow. The Cheese and Kisses (wife) says the next Vette is hers, OK I will tell her it is only if it means I get another Vette in the garage! :L

:beer

Tony

My wife ordered her 1981 from the Chevy dealer where she still works. She says her mom wouldn't let her drive her 1979 L82 and told her to buy her own Corvette if she wanted to drive one. So she did. She took delivery in October of 1980.

Tom

My wife bought it for me on eBay three years ago.

Mine came from a guy that owned a bar and was selling coke, he got caught lost the bar and needed cash, so I guess I can vote "out of town dealer".

As much as I hate to say it, I bought my car on Ebay. I was working nights at the time, as we were having problems at work, and I was asked to go to the off-shift to lend a hand. What was supposed to be a 2 month stay turned into 2 years! Anyway, the Engineers I worked with would come into the lab every morning, and I would have the "Proteam" website, or "Northwest Auto" website on one oft he computers every morning. I'd hear "when are you just gonna go out and buy one for yourself" from someone just about every day. I never looked at Ebay before, but one of the younger Engineers (who has purchased cars off Ebay before - and I laughed at him!), told me about this nice vette that he was sure I'd like. To make a long story shorter, he was right! I showed it to the MRS, and told her I could never justify buying a C2 that I've always wanted, and she said "Buy it now!"

I consider myself lucky though, as I was dealing with a very honest gentleman from the Pacific Northwest. He owned a shop (he races dragsters) that performed oil changes, etc for the previous owner, who had a 7 year frame-off resto done on the car (I have all the pictures and receipts). The guy got laid off from his job, and when the guy that I bought it from heard it was up for sale he bought it for a quick turn-around. He never registered the car, and had it less than a month. I have the name of the previous owner, and I actually needed him to provide information to satisfy the MA RMV.

The car is a numbers matching 1971 LT-1 as advertised. It was absolutely flawless, when I received it, with everything straight as an arrow. You wouldn't believe the comments I get from corvette people(trophies too) at car shows. The biggest compliment came from a corvette restorer here in MA, that's said it was one of the nicest restorations he had ever seen on a C3. He said he sees a lot of frame-off's come into his shop that are in need of work due to shoddy workmanship. He's the only person that does work on my car now (tune-ups, oil changes, etc), and his people always come over to take a look at my car whenever I bring it in. It really is a good feeling to know that they like my car, if you could see the beautiful work they do on vettes from all over the world.

I still can't believe I bought a car like this, and I don't think that I could do it again. I spoke with the guy I bought it from several times, and I checked him out as thoroughly as I possibly could (BBB, Ebay rating, number of transactions, etc), but I was still a nervous wreck right up until the time the car was delivered. Even then I was worried about the numbers matching, etc. I don't know how many times I checked the cost of flights, and came so close to making reservations. I can't believe I didn't, but for some reason I trusted the guy, which is against my nature. I paid about $25k for it, and that's ONE HELL OF A LOT OF $$$ TO ME!

I wouldn't recommend it, even though I've never had a problem with my car. Not one!

I found mine in a local auto locator magazine. After speaking to the owner on the phone for an hour,I basically bought it sight unseen. When I went to see the car it was just as described on the phone. He was asking $10500 for the car. I took $9000 cash. Half hour later I was driving it home.

Corvette Mike had mine tucked in the back of his Anaheim showroom back when I was still at UCLA. I went down there with a friend one day to do some shopping and noticed it. I was there for a C3 vert, but was able to work out a deal (steal) on this car because the salesman didn't take me seriously (and who would take two poorly dressed, scruffy college kids in a Corvette showroom?). In the end I drove it away for almost 25% off of asking. . . :D

That was 1987 or so, I think. I'm the second and last owner! :Steer

So, out of town dealer.

1982 Corvette. Got mine on ebay.Listed at 6 pm bought at 6:05 pm (buy it now option). One owner car out of Sacramanto, zero rust and original paint...I paid very little for it....

Local Dealer

I saw mine on a local used Corvette and Collectible dealer lot. I was thinking of selling my '72 Chevelle SS to get a Corvette, and I happened to drive by the lot when I saw it, on a Friday. Fell for it right away. On Saturday, the wife and I were out on a Harley ride, and I "conveniently" drove by the lot to show it to her. Like me, she liked it right away. It has something to do with the blue paint and red interior, accented by a nice red pinstripe job. It just pops! We discussed my Chevelle. They were interested in a trade! I got home, fired my car up and took her down there with all my receipts and Build Sheet. I'm talking every receipt I had since 1985. I left them the receipts and came back at lunchtime Monday. You can bet I was sleepless Saturday and Sunday nights. Well, we came to an agreement on Monday, and that night I drove the Chevelle to the dealer and drove away in the Corvette. No regrets. I have serviced ALL of the fluids (83K miles) and replaced the headpipes-tailpipes and mufflers were already done.

The following weekend I drove it to Montana and back (18.6 MPG!), and replaced the starter as it got heat soaked. I also did the heat shield/thermal wrap thing (I posted a thread on this around September 8th or so). That's it. I've put about 3K on it since getting her and have loved every minute of it. It's fun to drive. Another great thing is all my 1972 GM manuals for the Chevelle also cover the Corvette! Bonus! :D

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom