Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poll: Who Did You Buy Your current C3 From?

Where Did you Get Your Current C3 From?

• Took NEW delivery at Chevy Dealer (anybody?)

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Local car dealer

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Out of town dealer

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • Local classified ad--from individual

Votes: 113 28.8%
  • EBAY

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • From Friend/Relative/Neighbor

Votes: 74 18.9%
  • Spotted it for sale on the side of the road

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • I'm lucky, somebody just gave me mine

Votes: 14 3.6%

• Total voters
Bought mine through ebay. A 1981, from what I can tell it too sat in a barn or some other type of none wheather proof shelter. All original, missing lots of parts. Bought it really cheap!!

tcxd40

well, you have heard stories about ppl that buy one and have intentions of fixing them up..lol. I bought mine form a friend that did just that. He bought this vette and took it home, and starting taking it apart. He bought almost all of the stuff to restore it...carpet..seat covers..door panels.etc..and then let it sit for @ six years. Then he took it out, and had the motor freshened up<had 67,000 miles on it> and then had it painted, and then put it back in the garage to sit another 6 yrs..LOL. I saw the car one day sitting in his garage with a cover over it. Never even had a CLUE that he had a corvette!! Took me almost 3 yrs to convince him that he was never going to finish it, so after he had it 15 yrs in storage, we loaded it on a trailer and I became the new owner :) Its a numbers matching BB with a/c,ps, and pb..nice RARE car!! I have had it just over a yr, and am close to having it all done :)

Saw mine on eBay. It was only 100 miles away. Knew it wouldn't make the reserve price so waited for the auction to end and then made the owner a direct offer. He was the 3rd owner, but knew the other two. He had it since 1989 and 64,000 miles. Had most of his service records. I bought it in January 2007 with 92,000. It was originally silver. Owner #2 had it painted '85 Vette blue and put aftermarket wheels on. Otherwise it's OEM.

i was sitting home feeling sorry for myself after driving my fathers 2007 c6 (so i could wash it for him) so just to make myself feel better i surfed the want ad digest and found my 82 sitting in a yard less than 2 miles away from me , three houses down from my best friend and around the corner from my aunt yet i had never seen the car!!! 2 days later its mine, no c6 i know but i always loved this body style.

Talked my co-worker into selling me his original 79, numbers matching, 67K miles and with documentation including the build sheet. He purchased a new 07 and the payments were killing him so he needed some cash quickly. His loss was my gain.

Got mine from a friend in Canada. He had 6 vettes, 3 airplanes, 2- 50's chevy pickups and an 66 Olds Cutlass 442. His wife said he needed to get rid of one of his toys. Picked it up for $3000.

Talked my co-worker into selling me his original 79, numbers matching, 67K miles and with documentation including the build sheet. He purchased a new 07 and the payments were killing him so he needed some cash quickly. His loss was my gain.

Oh that would painful (as the seller). Do you still work with him? I'm sure he misses the Vette. Awesome deal for you, Jeff.

Oh that would painful (as the seller). Do you still work with him? I'm sure he misses the Vette. Awesome deal for you, Jeff.
Yea Ralph, he is not happy to this day that he sold the Vette but it is all part of learning I suppose. He knows he should not of sold such a beautiful well kept documented Vette. I purchased it for almost 9K. Pretty good deal for the Vette I think! Of course, I have already exceeded that number in restoration months ago. Go figure. We do still work together and I try to keep him involved with what I am doing and we remain friends. Hope to catch you later...

Bought our '73 from a guy that parked it at the side of the road with a for-sale sign in the window.
He owned it for 19 years and had bought it from the original owner. :)

IMG_0501Small.jpg

I bought mine through a private sale. I found it on E-bay but never bid on it. After nobody won the auction I e-mailed the owner and arranged the private sale. Luckily the car was only about 2 hours away so I was able to drive over and check it all out first. :cool

I finally decided to sell my race car since racing had become such a problem with my job. I listed it on the internet and this fella from CA contacted me. He was 2nd owner (his coworker was the 1st). He said he was dragracing the car and was tired of getting beat by ricers. He was a nice guy but didnt have a clue how to make a car go fast. Anyway I was worried even though the pics were extremely nice, too nice if you know what I mean. I went ahead and risk it and met him in El Paso where we traded even my 23T Altered rolling chassis for his turn key matching # engine Vette. Then I sold him the tranny for the Altered cash. I felt like I actually came out good on a trade for once. Dont know what my vote should fall under but it was a internet trade done basically with pictures only.

I bought all my vettes from private owners. The ones I've seen on lots or dealers were always over-priced and still needed work. Given the choice between one that was "restored" and one that needs to be, I'll take the one untouched. I've seen too many bad jobs on these cars and corrected a lot for many others.

Found mine in the caves in KC.MO that they use for underground storage,good place to store a car actually,climate controlled,low humidity they have dehumidifiers in there, bought it from the original owner jan of 07,it had been setting for 14 years.

mine was sitting by the side of the road, i would see it on my way to work, then at lunch and again on the way home. after 2wks of seeing it 3 times a day i just had to have a look n then a 1/2mile drive n bought it. never was really into C3 vettes till i seen this one. didn't care if it had some things wrong it, just didn't know that everything was wrong w/it but thats was ok cuz i got to customize it my way. never regretted buying it n now i'm Proud to call it mine. :beer

I bought my '77 from a guy that my uncle worked with. Went to look at it, and ended up buying it and an '88 Bronco with a fresh rebuilt engine and transmission and raised up with big mud tires. The Corvette also has a fresh rebuilt 383 stroker and 700 R-4. I gave $5,500 for both. I think I got a heck of a deal!!! :D

I bought mine off ebay from a guy in Mississippi. I never went to see it, and just went by the pictures. This guy was very honest and it was a very smooth transaction. I had it delivered to me since I live in NW Ohio, and have loved it ever since. And so has my Granddaughter :v

2007_04280006.jpg

2007_05220010.jpg

Bought mine on ebay, sight unseen (though I had somebody else look at it for me). Wasn't really sure how much I wanted to fork over, so I kept on bidding over the last day or so, and wound up making the winning bid one second before the auction closed! Guess I got lucky. No undisclosed problems other than the air going out while being picked up and driven home by someone (good thing I purchased the optional 90-day warranty with it).

I've heard of and read about barn finds but was always skeptical
until it happened to me. I bought my second on July 20th 2007.

A friend of mine at work knew I was looking for one.
He met this gentleman at a local car show who gave him his card
and asked me to call. The car was part of an estate. The sister in law
of the gentleman I spoke with asked him to help liquidate her estate.

Her husband, the second owner of the car, died in December, 2006.
He owned for nearly 30 years and had it stored for 22 of those years!

When I went to look at it, I found it on a concrete floor in an old steel
building, buried under 200+lbs of burlap. The paint was a chalky white
and I could barely make out the color. All the plug wires were shot.

It still had the original radiator hoses, alternator and starter.
It also has one of the replacement Holley carburetors on it after the
Corvette strike from 1969 which, backed up build date of the 1970s.
When they ran out of Quadrajets, Chevrolet contracted Holley to supplement
the balance of the builds with the Holley. I've taken it off and plan to
replace with a Quadrajet.

With 45,900 miles on the clock, this 1970 350/350 4 -speed 2 Top roadster
had the deluxe interior, leather hides, tilt -tele, PS,PB It also had the
optional wheel covers, hardtop with the soft top along with a full set of
rally wheels, center caps and beauty rings. To top it off, it still had the
tank sticker on it!

It has late 1970s Firestone 70 15 tires mounted to magnesium
Baldwin Motion Ansen Sprint wheels. Talk about a blast from the past!
I was only the second person to look at it and after a cash offer, bought it.
Up until 2 weeks ago, had it in my garage on jack stands with the motor
torn down to the pistons. Its now in my barn sleeping until spring.
Then the fun starts all over again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom