Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poll: Who Did You Buy Your current C3 From?

Where Did you Get Your Current C3 From?

• Took NEW delivery at Chevy Dealer (anybody?)

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Local car dealer

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Out of town dealer

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • Local classified ad--from individual

Votes: 113 28.8%
  • EBAY

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • From Friend/Relative/Neighbor

Votes: 74 18.9%
  • Spotted it for sale on the side of the road

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • I'm lucky, somebody just gave me mine

Votes: 14 3.6%

• Total voters
Thanks Gents.

I must say, the magnesium wheels were heavily oxidized when
I unearthed the car. I went through at least six different cleaners
before I found one that actually did something.

In the end, I used WEIMAN Metal Polish.
The bottle says for Brass, Copper and All Metals.
With any kind of cleaner/polish, it requires using a little
or a lot of elbow grease. Trust me, a lot was used along the way.

When it was all said and done, those wheels went from a
dull blackened cast gray to a smooth clean gun metal shine.
All of the other cleaners refrained from oxidizing the surface -
(turning black) and basically sat on the surface. I used soap and water
between applications because the other cleaners/polishes contributed to the
difficultly of removing the stained, aged surface of the wheels.

Also, not all cleaners can physically be mixed - one on top of the
other while your rubbing it in. Since a heat is generated when rubbing into
the surface of any metal and magnesium is a reactive metal.

Its highly flammable and cannot be extinguished with water.
Its not necessarily the rubbing that would ignite it rather the wrong
combination of cleaners reacting under pressure. Sorry, I didn't mean to
start a chemistry thread here. The nice thing about magnesium is that its
light weight and durable. Of all the cleaner/polishes, I would have thought
that Mothers Mag wheel cleaner would have done the job. It didn't.

For those of you who didn't know, Mag is not an acronym for a style
of an aluminum wheel, its short for Magnesium. I found Mothers Mag wheel
cleaner to be used more for taking light oxidation off of aluminum and
chrome. Its not strong enough for heavy oxidation on magnesium.

For the first time during this expensive project of mine thus far,
the least expensive product was the best for my application.

Have a great new year.

Rudy:)

I found mine on line as well but I needed to see it so I flew from Windsor Ont to Kelowna b.c saw it bought it and had it shipped by rail to toronto and then car hauler to Windsor it's 1972 bryer ble 350 4-speed

what a wife

I've heard a few of you say that your wife bought you your cars. All I have to say is do they have any single sisters as generous? LOL.
I bought my vette from my nephew. He wasn't very mechanically inclined to say the least and it was eating him alive. So since performance cars have always been my thing I took it off his hands.

Bought Mine from a guy who lived just 50 miles from me,...saw the car on E-Bay,....and 3 day's later it was sitting in my driveway. 1978 Silver Anniversary Model. The guy was going through a DIVORCE, and was court ordered to sell the car.

My father was on his death bed, asked me to finish the car. True Story, still brings tears to my eyes.

I was living in New Mexico at the time and saw my 82 in a corvette trader magazine about 15 years ago. The guy that owned it was in the Chicago area and was a Bloomington Gold judge. He had three vettes and was selling them all. I offered a fair price and hauled it back to NM on a trailer. The rest is history. The car has a complete documented background including a certificate as being used as a BG judges training car. has all the options including the external T-top carrier and CB radio.

The motor is a numbers matching block and is now a 383 with the CFI still installed.

My Dad

My father was the second owner, he bought the 72 Corvette in 86, stripped the car in 86 and there is sat for the 20+ years in boxes and zip lock bags (labeled). My father passed away 4 years ago but one of the things he asked me to do was finish the car. I started last June and should be driving by this May.

The 72 was one of four Corvettes he owned, He had a 64 Convertible, 79 T-Tops, 72 Convertible, 76 T-Tops. All sold but the 72. The others were all in good to great shape. This one needed more work.

72 Corvette Convertible w/hardtop
Repainted the Original Color – Classic White
Stock Numbers Matching Drive Train
4 Speed
New Suspension
New Interior
New Brakes/Lines/Calipers/Rotors
Bunch of replated Chrome parts.

A whole bunch of other work. It’s been a long cold winter,

I will post better pics, these are from a couple of months ago on an old camera.

Car Runs Great, I love it.

my 1st vette I bought from a local chevy dealer... the same dealership that originally sold the vehicle and the dealership where all the maintenance was done.

I was able to get copies of all the maintenance work and review them before I bought the car with the money from a house I designed.

Second car was bought from a dealer in Indianapolis IN. I was living in Roanoke VA at the time. I went to this vette dealer actually to look at a different car that I opted not to get (it was an overpriced heap) but there was a 78 L-82 4 speed car (set aside with a sold sticker on it).. i told the guy.. you get another car like this then give me a call.

2 weeks later he gave me a call... the buyer for the 78 backed out, so I ended up getting it.

got mine from one of those inner city used car lots that always have chain link fence around them.

saggy, droopy, neglected, abused, unloved

It was love at 1st sight

I found mine on Craigslist. I have been searching for 6 months and finally found what I was looking for.

new

bought it new april 1980 at a place we called affectionately called shady deals in Palmrya NY

he went under three or four weeks later...:w

his daughter has the biggest subaru dealership around now

Bought mine in 1993 after it had been sitting for 13 years. I met the original owner and he told me it's history from day one. It was a barn queen and it took me about ten years to fully restore it. I entered it in a lot of Covette shows and won five trophies and a NCRS second flight award. Finishing it was a great feeling !

I bought mine from a guy I knew at GTE in October, 1975. He later transferred to Stamford, CT. Hello to Joe and Phylis Crawford from Tampa or Stamford or where ever you are....If you ever got back into Corvettes and visit this site, I still have your 1971 LS5 Convertible!:D

Where did you buy your Corvette?

After the talk of ebay and buying cars site unseen from dealers on the other side of the country, I'm wondering how it breaks down--thus the poll.
I bought my C-3 off of e-bay.......My mistake; car had many problems that were not described. Seller said everything works, this was far from the truth. My advice; don't buy a car sight unseen!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom