Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Possible dumb question????

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
Another thread I just read got me thinking about my Mass Airflow Sensor. I had assumed that it was located between the air filter box and the throttle body. Is this different on the '91? The other day I removed the air intake filter box and duct assembly up to the throttle body for cleaning and I don't have one. ????? :confused ?????

The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked

Mine is about the size of a computer fan. It is between the air filter box and the TB. This is on the 99. I don't think the 84 has one at all.
--Drew:w

Thanks Drewser.
I looked through my catalogues and it seems that replacements are available for the '85-'89 and the '94-'96 cars.

Does anyone have any insite on how the air temperatures, altitudes, and amounts are measured on the '91 ?

Spiderman :w

It's called a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. Where it's located I'm not sure but it should still be in the intake tract.
[RICHR]

the map sensor on a 90-91 tpi L-98 is mounted on the passenger side of the plenum right behind the runners

Speed density, not MAF on these years. I have one too. That means I don't need to buy a bigger one.

Mike

u need a book that tells about all models, like Haynes automotive repair manual

anyways,, i do alot of corvette reading, and,, on 1992 to 1996 models there is a sensor that is called IAT sensor (Intake air temperature sensor and that is located where u was looking around the air box,, before it i think,, but i own a 1985, and 1985 through 91's have the same sensors,, the only thing u have is your MAF and that is in the middle of your air filter and TPI , im sure on 91 it is located right in the middle of your air hose, anyways thats where it is on mine.

I am absolutely certain there is
no MAF on a '91, there's none
on my '93, and like the man said,
catalogs show replacements for
'84-'89 and '94-'96.

Anybody know why chevy changed,
then back again?

hmm

sigh, anyways,,,this is how corvettes work,, 1984's have differant sensors,, then from 1985 to 91 has the same sensors, then from 92 to 1996 has the same sensors,, all in the same place too,,

also, 1992 to 1996 has no MAF sensor,,,,, and 1985 to 1991 has no MAP sensor
IM 100 percent sure, im looking at my corvete book and it shows all the years

"100 percent sure". I must need this book then, so I know "how corvettes work".

maf sensor?

buy a chiltons or haynes manual , they have alotta good info in them . if you have a bunch of money buy the corvette repair manual ..... :) .. good luck ....mike

Manuals

Either way, I'm 100 % sure :D that you could use a good manual. I've got a GM service manual for my 84, a valuable tool. I still need to get one for my 99. They aren't cheap, but what that is worthwhile is cheap?
--Drew:w

The Haynes is far superior to the Chiltons, though it sometimes shows pix for the wrong engine (ie LT1 instead of L98). Best place to buy a service manual is off eBay. I got one for my 86, with all electrical supplements, but minus the back cover, for $27 shipped.
[RICHR]

Haynes, thats what i have, its so nice it shows from 84 to 96, shows everything

very, nice, i mean this thing shows where yoru sensor is at, and everyitng, very nice,,, shows how to fix any problem u have,, and, plus it shows your codes, and what the codes mean

and shows u how to see what code your comtpuer is putting out with out going and buying a tester

cuase your car, from 1984, to, umm,, 1994, i think, something like that, your car has a self tester in it,,

and u can ground out yoru termial, and it will flash u codes,,, very cheap,,

the way that works is,,,, people thinks comptuers are more advance these days,, cuase u ahve to hook them up to the comptuer,, people this is not true,, comptuer hook up has been avaiable for a very logn time,, how do u think, they knew the codes off cars,, 80's,, u really think they had comptuer thigns back then,, i dont' think so,,, a Haynes book cost like 10 bucks, i think, but im not 100 percent sure,,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom