Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power antenna aint

twiget

Corvette
In the market
The power antenna on the GS is not going down like it should be. When I turn the car off I can hear the antenna motor running while it does it's thing, but the antenna dosent move.

What could be causing this?

Jason

Could be

Jason,

I am not sure about the Corvette Electric Ant.. but I've had the same problem with other vehicles, and it ended up being the internal plastic mech. that runs the ant up and down, It Broke the fix was a new ant mast with the plastic link. Removed the old one pulled out the link and then turn the radio on stick the new ant. link in and turn off the ant. and it pulls the new link in then mount the ant. and all worked fine..
BudD
:w

twiget,

I think Rare81 is right about the plastic antenna strip/link being broken. It's a known problem with the C4's, with the tip off being just what you are experiencing - the antenna motor runs, but the antenna doesn't go down.

The replacement masts/with plastic strip can be ordered from Mid America http://www.madirect.com/ Part# 601-244 @ $39.99 according to the catalog I'm looking at and it comes with complete instructions.

If your lucky, do what Rare81 suggests for installing the new one. If the plastic strip isn't broken off inside the motor, which is unlikely, it should work.

Here's some more info on replacing the antenna mast :

You first need to remove the antenna mast retaining nut on the rear fender that the mast feeds out of.
Then turn on the radio, works better with 2 people :).
As you antenna feeds out, catch it, and continue to let the plastic toothed cable feed out.
Then take the new mast with plastic toothed cable and hand feed the cable into the antenna hole. When you feel it contact the gear in the motor, rotate the cable until you feel it lock into the gear.
Then, while holding the cable and mast straight, turn the radio off. If the cable is inserted into the gear correctly it will feed in, taking most of the antenna with it.
Put the antenna mast retaining nut back on over the new mast and tighten it down.
Then turn the radio on and then off, and the mast should adjust and reseat itself all the way down.

antenna

Jason,
Had the same problem with the '81. It is a fairly easy fix as outlined above but the prevention is even easier. Sometimes we are prone to keeping our cars too clean. A dry antenna mast causes too much friction and the motor pulls the end off of the plastic shaft inside the mast. A light coat of WD 40 or similar on the mast will keep it running smoothly.

Tom

Originally posted by 59Tom
Sometimes we are prone to keeping our cars too clean

Is such a thing possible?:D

I think your probably right about the cause though Tom. Wd 40 sounds like it would be just the thing.

Jason

WD-40 will work well, but I was given this tip by a Corvette auto body shop owner I know and it's worked well for me. :)

He recommended using "Mineral Oil" that you can pick up at any drugstore. He says it lasts longer and isn't as noticeable. Put a little on a clean rag and wipe the antenna down with it occasionally

-Gordy

Steel Half-Shafts said:
...He recommended using "Mineral Oil" that you can pick up at any drugstore. He says it lasts longer and isn't as noticeable. Put a little on a clean rag and wipe the antenna down with it occasionally

Isn't that just what the manual recommends? ;)

Ken

Ant Lube

I agree with Gordy-

I was told by an electronic service technician that WD-40 is not a true lubricant. It was developed by NASA engineers for rocket stuff. It was introduced commercially and has become very popular. The problem is that it evaporates and does not leave a lubricating film. Use White Lithium Grease, you can find it in your local K-Mart, Wal-Mart or auto supply store.

The point being that the antenna mast needs to be lightly lubed or it will cause a repeat of the problem. Could just pour motor oil down the mast from the top. Hose off what doesn't soak in. A little mineral oil applied with a cloth would probably be less messy though.

Tom

Originally posted by 59Tom
Could just pour motor oil down the mast from the top. Hose off what doesn't soak in. A little mineral oil applied with a cloth would probably be less messy though.

Mineral oil on a cloth would probably be less detrimental to the wax too.

Jason

Hey guys, I have a 1991 coupe. I thought I was being real cool, putting in an antenna switch (from Mid America). I thought it would make the antenna last forever--well I played with it so much, watching it go up and down, I'm suer that's what did the antenna in. So I bought and installed a new power antenna (the whole thing--$120 from chevy). Yep, it works great now, but what a job putting it in!! I'd guess I'm good for another 10 years, and yes, I learned my lesson. ART

I Know the Solution!!

This isn't going to help you at all.. :) :) But, up here in Canada the first thing we'd all look for is ICE!! ;) ;) . If that isn't the problem, then I suspect one of the more intelligent answers from above is true! :)

Re: I Know the Solution!!

Tanzanite3 said:
This isn't going to help you at all.. :) :) But, up here in Canada the first thing we'd all look for is ICE!! ;) ;) . If that isn't the problem, then I suspect one of the more intelligent answers from above is true! :)

Actually Tanzanite, the first time I noticed a problem, (the antenna only went down about half the way) the temp was about 28 degrees and wet. The ice is probably what snaped the plastic piece Bud and Gordy where talking about.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom