Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Glide Fluid Dumping

azpaul50

Corvette
1956 Artic Blue/Silver
This is a long time question about power glides dumping fluid from the torque converter into the pan after sitting a while. It is a well documented problem for Vettes and Bel Aires with PGs but nobody seems to have a solid answer other than to "drive it!." That would be fine if I had only the one vintage car but try exercising 10 when it's 115 degrees outside! I'm just tossing this out to see if anyone has finally found a solution. I've had the tranny out and sealed everything but it eventually comes up and seeps out from the fill tube. Anyone else? What can be changed internally? How'd ya fix it? - azpaul50

I hear ya, Mines all rebuilt, I just start it every three weeks and shift it through the gears.

Kindred "leakers"

At last, someone else feels my pain. I've had this Vette for several years and it seems like the time to dump has shortened. It used to take about 3 weeks but has recently shortened to every 8-10 days. I have limited space for all my stuff and sometimes bury the Vette behind something else. By that I mean that I can start it but might be not able to drive it without a sizable reshuffling of cars, trailers, or bikes. Our little collection is at Home Page ,should anyone care to look. I've sold the blue Amphi and it will be replaced soon with a Messerschmitt KR200 next month. My wife usually uses the Vette car as her show car thus the powerglide tranny. Other interests decide who gets moved for what and when with most car and bike activities over for us over the hot SoAz summer. At first I thought I was overfilling but after having it out, sealing, and putting in the right amount after reinstallation, it still does it. Somebody has to have fixed this problem but I'll draw the line at putting some sort of sealer in the tranny. Thanks, brah... nice ride ya' got there! - azpaul50

Funny thing is I dont have to actually drive mine I can just shift it into gear and it will stop leaking. Seems like the pump picking up the fluid and filling the converter back up should do it. I'm surprised you actually have to drive yours.

Temp Coefficient

When I first got this car, I thought there might be some temperature coefficient associated with the leakage. This was after we took it out and went throught it. Then it still dumped within 3 weeks. I say drive it only to get the tranny as hot as internal seals etc. would normally get through driving, In my mind, idling and running through the gears may circulate fluid but not really "exercise" the tranny or equate to operating temperature unless cycled for quite a long time. My hope would be that it would leak during driving and shortly thereafter and at least give me a location to work with. I still believe that my fluid level may be off realizing that the dipstick is only a coarse measure. It seems to come out of the dipstick tube once it does leak. I've even reviewed any literature on the dipstick itself to make sure it was correct for this PG and maybe causing an overfill. Did your Nassau Blue Vette come from Arizona? My last two before this '56 were '66 Coupes (both blue, one a 327/300 and the other a 427/390, both 4-spds) and went to owners around Phoenix.

"Catching it leak"

I reread your response and it seems that you could catch yours "in the act" leaking. In my case, it does a one-time leak of maybe near a quart and then "feels better." I've never actually caught it in the act and through fluid migration it is hard to tell where and when it came from. If I start and cycle right after happens, it whines a little to tell me it wants more fluid. I've tried countless combinations, the most effective so far seeming to be running it (after a dump) to HOT, seeing nothing on the dipstick, stopping and then refilling to just showing fluid on the tip of the dipstick COLD. The running it again, I'll see the level in the correct level range HOT for a few days. It never dumps when we're driving around. Ahah!, I say and but then it dumps again a few days later. Grrrrr... I sure wish I had my 4-Spd, C-2 back but like I said, "Blondie," my wife, likes "her" C-1 better. While I've always been a "purist" of sorts, I'm fairly near changing the tranny out with one of those new 5 speeds and selling the PG with it (when the time comes) with the PG in a box! As someone of limited resources, I don't see that happening anytime soon as I have so many other vintage vehicle "mouthes" to feed. The '56 is in paint again this weekend just so Blondie won't be bothered by those few spider cracks that started to appear on the car. I'd just as soon spend the money on a new tranny but being an old guy, I realize that American men haven't won a war since WW-II. lolol.... - azpaul50

Your leak sounds different than mine. Mine only drips, leaves a spot about the size of a half dollar before i notice it. I store it on a lift so I usually just throw down a Pig mat to soak it up. Finally I get tired of it and lower the car and start it. Then its fine.I really think mine leaks out of a cable or something it never comes out the dip stick tube It sounds like we have things in common, I also am somewhat of a purist and qualify as a old guy. I believe that cars that are already butchered should be rodded but never a nice example of a original car JMO. My car is actually Elkhart blue, I did a frame off restoration in 05 it had sat in a barn here in Oregon for 27 years:beer

Different

I understand now. Your problem sounds more like that I saw in extensive discussion about PGs in Bel Aires. I've checked the web on this problem off and on for several years. The consensus seemed to be that sealing cables and the like is the fix for your sort of dripping. In my case it is as if somthing let's go all at once but any pertinent internal seals were checked or replaced. Univerally, everyone agrees that the torque converter is the source. That was about 4-5 years ago that we had the PG out. I've gradually moved away from focused interest in Corvettes after owning up to three at once going back 35 years. I discovered the world of orphans and microcars over the past few years, noting that I was never a big car player anywhere except in my small local region. The Vette keeps my hotrod friends from beating me up (all in fun) when they kid me about my "San Francisco Roller-Skates." I just point to the Vette (with Blondie trying to remember that it's a 265 in case somebody asks her) and I say, "Got one of those?" I'm sure you know what they're saying about the SF part... lolol... pleasure to meet you! - azpaul50

Pleasure to meet you as well, PS my wife is a blondie also lol. Enjoy your cars whatever they may be. I Love all classics as well as the unusual cars. If blondie ever gets tired of that old leaker, let me know, sure I could find room for a few more drips in my shop.

AZpaul50,

Many C-1 owners that have Vettes equipped with the Powerglide automatic experience ATF burp. This is where a half pint to a pint of ATF burps out of the dipstick tube.

Theory has it that this is due to convertor drainback ( periods of car sitting 1wk or more) and an extremely short dipstick tube. (longer tubes around 62 I believe) When the convertor empties the overflow goes into the trans pan and overflows out the dipstick tube. You might verify that this is indeed happening. If it is then this may be the answer short of going with a later model dipstick tube. This fix was an article in an old " On Solid Ground" SACC magazine. www.solidaxle.org

FIX: Procure a 12 inch length of 1inch heater hose. Make sure your fluid level is topped off. (remember to check in gear,hot with engine running) then slip the heater hose over the dipstick tube and then insert the dipstick. (make sure the dipstick goes in tight) Now the overflow will be retained in the trans and will not come out on the floor. When needing to check level simply remove hose and check fluid with dipstick. Works like a champ!
:beer

Fred

Duh!

I'll try it! The car is in paint right now with the chrome going back on. I really want to try this at least to prove that this is it. I will say that it is only a bandaid since it seems that not all PGs do it, only some. It still leaves the lingering question why some DON'T.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom