Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power window regulator procedure

Rookie Vette owner

Corvette
1973 Blue Coupe
Well I've put it off as long as possible, both windows are stuck in the up position. The wife calls her "Christine" and says she's slowly locking us in! Does anybody have a procedure for replacing the power window regulators? Does the glass have to be completely removed? How tough of a job is it? Any special tools required? TIA!!

hi tom

welcome to the club, wish i could help with the window but can't, some one will help i know :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Billy

GM charges just under $300.00 to replace it. I replaced 2 of them in my Silverado one in my wife's Yukon. Pain in the azz.

If you just need the drive motor RockAuto.com has them for about $80 rebuilt.

If you need the whole shooting match (cables, pulleys, gears, tracks, etc.) there are a couple of vendors on E-bay Motors that sell them for about $280.

Just replacing the motor did not require me to remove the glass. Just pay attention to the way the old motor and gear box go together.

You have to remove the side glass to replace the entire assembly, but it is easy after removing the two black rubber plugs at the top inside of the door. There is a single clamp at the front and back of the glass that holds it. Just be sure to mark the position of the glass with masking tape before you remove it. Make note of both elevation in the clamp and front to back position.

Are your window control modules throwing any codes? Also check the that the fuses are not blown and that the plugs at the door hinge pillars are clean and tight. Sometimes one wire will pull out of the plug and keep the window from working correctly.

Thanks for the tips, if all goes well, I'll give the first one a shot tomorrow. I bought the updated versions since the originals (97-99?) are no longer stocked. I got them new off ebay for 135 ea. wish me luck and thanks again for all the info.

Here''s the module layouts if you need to replace them...

I have the full write-up, PM if you want it...

A little late on this but for future reference, I replaced my passenger side regulator with a rebuild I bought from Mirror Guard Co. Received it in a week. Cost was $165. Sent old regulator back for $40 rebate and received my check within a week. Web site is : www.regulatorusa.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom