Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[Press] PROTEAM LANDS RARE 1963 CORVETTE

paul67 said:
That car seems to make sense to me as noted by Tom Bryant re Texas. A long cruising range in relative comfort with power accessories and A/C. I have never read that the Corvette was in the same fuel flash zone as a Ford Pinto.

Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to be the test dummy for that theory with a runaway 18 wheeler bearing down on me on the interstate (Hey Honey, when we left town, were we towing a Peterbilt?).

If my memory serves me correctly, one of the two '63 cars that were COPO approved for the 36 gal tank and A/C , was ordered by an engineer working for NASA that spent his time travelling between Houston and Calif. He was more concerned with the fueling frequency than performance. I had an article about it somewhere but can't put my hands on it at this time.

When I owned a Tanker I researched these cars quite a bit. Very neet cars.

As for being a "bomb" with all that gas in them......heck if an SUV runs into the back of a mid year at speed gas will be the least of your worries. Besides, the solid axle cars carry the gas right behind the seats too. It never bothered my wife or I over the time we owned the car.

Here is a pic of us standing next to the car when the current owner was having it Flight judged at the 2004 NCRS National
This is a real Canadian delivered Tanker with every option except A/C
10.jpg

Take care,
Brian

Since I seem to like playing devil's advocate... To the first point of there being no knock-off's available on any 1963... If they were available in '64, then they were 'around' in '63. Think along the lines of a 1983 vette... We all know now it exists, however, for a time, it didn't. At least not in the hands of the general public. At some point in time, John Q. Public will own that car. It's only a matter of time.

Rob said:
Purchasing a "big tank" Corvette typically required the approval of General Motors executives and was an opportunity that was limited to Corvette racers. Consequently, the big tanks are seldom found on cars that do not also feature the Z06 or race package options.... ....In addition to the vehicle itself, ProTeam acquired a copy of the original title, license
registration dating to 1980, dealer delivery packet with '63 owner protection plan, original operating instructions for the air conditioner and AM/FM radio, and the original keys on the delivering dealer key chain.

As time passes, we are finding more and more cars that left the factory under not-so-usual conditions. As quoted, just getting a 36 gallon tank required knowing someone that knows someone that knows someone. If someone was good enough to secure only 1 of 2 produced, it's not unreasonable to believe that knowing someone who knows someone can also procure a set of those knock-off for a few more bucks in the greasy palm. Just because GM or the Corvette Blackbook says it never left the factory, that doesn't make it 100% fact. You won't see the blackbook listing a 1958 Retractable Hardtop Corvette dubbed "Scotty" either. But it exists as a product of GM insiders.

As for the comments about "Who would want 36 gallons of gasoline sloshing around behind them...potential bomb...blah blah blah..."
Well, it doesn't take much gasoline to make a car go boom. 10 gallons, 16, 36??? Who cares? It's going to require impact to the tank or some other 'major malfunction' to cause the disaster. Granted, if I had to choose, I'm much rather only have 4 gallons leaking than 36 gallons. But nonetheless... back in the 60's when you only had so many gas stations dotting long stretches of road, a 36 gallon tank sure sounds accomodating. (Another drawback however is that gas is heavy, so it hurts mileage somewhat).
Anyways, whereas I can certainly respect the opinion of not wanting all that gas back there, the rationale to me seems the same as thinking, "I only wear my seatbelt after I pass 100mph, because at 150mph I'm more likely to die than if it's at 99mph..." Either way, if you bite it at that speed, you're nothing but pieces parts and the seat belt ain't gonna do much to save you... no seat belt @ 99mph, seat belt at 150mph...16 gallon bomb, 36 gallon bomb... take your pick. The outcome ain't gonna be very different...

...Now someone help me down off this box, would ya??? :L

It wasn't just the difference in size and the fact that the smaller tank was outside the cabin (as opposed to inside).

It was also that all those extra gallons of fuel were sitting right behind your shoulders encased in "fiberglass".....no, not metal....fiberglass. :eek

Thank you Bob, and the metal tank is also firmly attached to the frame with metal straps, not fixed to the inner fiberglass body. :ugh

Stepinwolf

Has it gotten to a point with 63 SWC's that a person is paying that much for a car that has that little to offer. I think my L-76 4-spd, Siebring Silver, Blank Vinyl interior is worth more to me that a car that is so weighted down with a full 36Gallons of gas plus all the pullies to run the A/C and powered accessories...how much pickup can that car really have, I am sure in handles great, especially with STOCK DRUM BRAKES?...figures a rocket scientest wanted something with a lot of fuel on it,,,,wonder if he designed the boosters for the Space Shuttle? Sorry, I will take my common no power L-76 over a $200+ "Rare" Corvette....

EBVette said:
Has it gotten to a point with 63 SWC's that a person is paying that much for a car that has that little to offer.
We all know the different applicable clichés...

Different strokes for different folks...
One man's garbage is another man's treasure...
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

I bought my first Corvette in 1978, it was a '66. I ordered a couple of times from a Corvette parts company called T. Michaelis Corvette Parts. in Maumee (sp) Ohio. The last time I ordered from them I paid for $278 worth of parts that I did not receive. There was a divorce and from what I understand he went bankrupt. If this is the same person perhaps he can honor his old debts, with interest!

JimVette said:
I bought my first Corvette in 1978, it was a '66. I ordered a couple of times from a Corvette parts company called T. Michaelis Corvette Parts. in Maumee (sp) Ohio. The last time I ordered from them I paid for $278 worth of parts that I did not receive. There was a divorce and from what I understand he went bankrupt. If this is the same person perhaps he can honor his old debts, with interest!
Probably the same cat. Maumee and Napoleon are in the same area.

JimVette said:

JimVette

They are one of the same. As far as living up to past promises, I would highly recommend that you do not hold your breath on this one. It would undoubtadly bring your downfall.

BTW, it's just as good that you did not recieve the parts back then, because you might have been obliged to give them back at a later date. ;)

Stepinwolf

I suspected as much, but didn't want to say so. When people ask me about them I relate my story. I would never buy anything from them again. Anyone that buys from them just doesn't who they are dealing with. Knowing them why would anybody even mention them.

JimVette said:
I suspected as much, but didn't want to say so. When people ask me about them I relate my story. I would never buy anything from them again. Anyone that buys from them just doesn't who they are dealing with. Knowing them why would anybody even mention them.

Jim,

I suspect it's the old " don't play with matches thing " , and until they get burned, they will go on doing it. Go figure,,,:ugh

Stepinwolf

Evolution1980 said:
Just because GM or the Corvette Blackbook says it never left the factory, that doesn't make it 100% fact. You won't see the blackbook listing a 1958 Retractable Hardtop Corvette dubbed "Scotty" either. But it exists as a product of GM insiders.

GM had nothing to do with that one - Scotty did it all by himself, at home, on his own car. :)

Does anybody know were my dear Scotty went off to? Last I heard, he was bought back by ProTeam after being auctioned off at Barrett Jackson.

Mike

Been a while since I've read anything about "Scotty!"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom