Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Price of the 2009 ZR-1

What do you think the 2009 ZR-1 MSRP will be?

• $80,000

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • $85,000

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • $90,000

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • $95,000

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • $100,000

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • $105,000

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • $110,000

Votes: 24 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm guessing they're going to keep it somewhat in line with the Viper, around $85K to $90K. After all, this isn't a handbuilt Z06 they're putting in this car. It's a blown LS3. Throw some extra carbon panels on it and a nice set of brakes - what's that cost? I think it's a stretch to go more than $10K over a Z06, or at least to justify it.

But like everyone else says, who knows what Chevy Marketing and the dealers are thinking.

Before the C6 Z06 came out, everybody was making similarly high cost predictions on price, the majority were guessing from $80k to $90k, I estimated between $62k and $68k. That was roughly $20k over a standard C6 and I knew GM could do a lot with $20k, especially at the price they buy parts for in quantities of thousands at a time.

For another $20k over the present Z06 ($70k base), GM could easily add a SC LS3 engine, go with complete carbon fiber reshaped body panels and beef up the entire drivetrain and suspension, and I repeat - easily! Many people want estimate the price of the ZR-1 (over the present Z06) based on what they might pay for high performance parts, but they fail to realize that GM doesn't pay anywhere near the prices we do for aftermarket parts!

My prediction is, they will come out at somewhere between $80k and $90k to test the waters, if sales are successful, they will do as they did with the present Z06 and raise the price in the second year of production. To start out at $100k is simply too high and GM would be treading on dangerous ground that the Corvette has never treaded on! If sales don't go well the dealers will have $100k cars sitting on their lots for months until they drop the price and give $10k to $15k discounts, it would be easier to start the other way and go up.

Of course there will always be the few where "money is no object" who will buy at any price, but I believe most of them won't buy a first year $100k Corvette. Very few people (including dedicated Corvette buyers) are willing to step up to a $100k Chevy Corvette, it hasn't earned that kind of reputation yet and probably won't unless the new ZR-1 proves to display absolute quality inside and out along with reliability. Another negative will be qualified dealerships worthy of working on these cars, many Chevrolet dealers lack big time in this area!

Also, by 2009 there will be several 500HP high quality Japanese sports cars coming out and I believe the competition in the $80k to $100k range will be fierce. Sure the ZR-1 will probably be king in horsepower and speed, but will it show the quality of workmanship people expect for a sports car costing $90k to $100k? That remains to be seen.

;)

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes
http://www.freewebs.com/velocityvettes/

Even if it is over $100K, +600HP will be some good power in 2009, but not enough of an impact as the C6Z initially had on its competitors in 2006. I'd be inclined to keep it simple with a piston swap and an F1 Procharger to stay on top till at least 2011 on any older C6Z. Bang for the buck could still be said with confidence. ;)

Even if it is over $100K, +600HP will be some good power in 2009, but not enough of an impact as the C6Z initially had on its competitors in 2006. I'd be inclined to keep it simple with a piston swap and an F1 Procharger to stay on top till at least 2011 on any older C6Z. Bang for the buck could still be said with confidence. ;)

Thus another reason why GM "has" to keep the price within range! They know present C5 and C6 Z06 owners can easily modify their engines to attain 600HP + for less than $8k, and that's at aftermarket retail pricing! The General can supercharge an LS3 for much less and have at least $15k to $17k left over to modify the rest of the car!

:)

EFE Z06

Dream alive

first time here... ya'll are absolutely great!!!!! fixed many problems with everyone's help. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure hope that the new model isn't sooooo much as guessdimated. I plan on buying someones 07 Z06 in 2011 or so for a good price. Ha, Ha, Ha, Hope they don't jack up my dream.

I plan on buying someones 07 Z06 in 2011 or so for a good price. Ha, Ha, Ha, Hope they don't jack up my dream.

I'd be inclined to keep it simple with a piston swap and an F1 Procharger to stay on top till at least 2011 on any older C6Z.

Here is one for you, almost 800rwhp>>> should roast the tires "right quick" :chuckle

I don't see how they can price it much more than the Viper. Although it will still be a much superior car, people just won't pay THAT much more than a Viper to get the Corvette.

I don't see how they can price it much more than the Viper. Although it will still be a much superior car, people just won't pay THAT much more than a Viper to get the Corvette.

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure I agree.

The majority of the 3,949 1990 ZR-1s went into the hands of the investors when the car first hit the market. Some people were crazy enough to dish out $125,000 for a 1990 ZR-1 with a MSRP of $59,950.

The only differences I see between now and back in 1990 are:
  1. The legend behind the 1990 ZR-1 was growing since around 1986 when development work really got underway and some of the regular car rags started to elude to the fact that Corvette Development was working on a super-Corvette that was going to take on the best that Europe and Asia had to offer.
  2. The economic times and the value of a dollar
  3. If I'm correct, I believe the reason for much of the feeding frenzy over the 1990 ZR-1 was due to the fact that GM played up the fact that it would be a very limited Corvette run. I could be wrong on this point as I'm going on memory, but I'm almost certain that this was a major reason why so many investors were willing to pay double the sticker price.
The legend, (if you want to call it that) for the 2009 ZR-1 has been growing for maybe a couple years starting with the "Blue Devil" nomenclature - the first example caught testing around the Nurburgring (and which GM declared was a regular production Z06 they were testing). Regardless, the magazines were certain that this was the first iteration of the "Blue Devil" caught testing.

Right now, the value of the US$1 is hurting, gas prices are on the rise, and the housing market is just short of going right down the proverbial toilet.

However, Dodge continues to build the Viper at nearly $90,000 a piece. I'm not up on current Viper sales statistics, but given the state of the American automotive industry, I can't believe that Dodge would be willing to continue building a car at a loss, even if it is a high dollar, low production halo vehicle.

So, where am I going with all of this? I think that the people willing to dish out $100,000+ for the upcoming 2009 ZR-1 are in fact, out there, and plentiful. However, whether or not they are willing to step up to the plate depends upon, in my opinion, the following factors:
  1. Current state of the economy
  2. Number of ZR-1s GM plans to build
  3. Build quality
  4. Overall look and appearance - someone that's willing to dish out nearly $100,000 for an automobile, doesn't want it to look like the same model that costs only $49,000. HOPEFULLY GM learned their lesson back in the nineties, when they didn't want to spend the extra money to make the ZR-1 look more different.
Why did I not mention Gas? Because, someone that can afford to spend $100,000+ on an automobile, isn't, in my unprofessional opinion, that concerned about gasoline. If you can afford to spend that much money on a new automobile, gas prices are not a big concern to you.

I think it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. ;)

I love it all but...this engine has to make 700hp, have a heavy duty drive train, easily get to 200mph, have a great new interior, a great new and different exterior than what we have seen AND be buyable for $90 to 95k in the first year. There are already too many Z06s out there shrinking in price and it is too easy to jack a Z06 up to this level. This one has to be differentiated from other vettes and stand out from the Lambos, Ferrraris and Vipers to attrack that kind of buyer.

I am sure what ever the price ends up being it will be beyond my price range; who cares if it will run 200MPH, where can yo do that at on the ground?

They have to ask near 100 grand for this car unless they are going to phase out the ZO6. 80,000 would be too close to the Z to where no-one would want a Z anymore. Everyone would go the extra to have the top dog.For them to have the third tier car in the lineup, if I had to guess, I would bet they come in at just under 100,000.

You were reading my thoughts. They Z is around $80k list, Chevy would trip over their own feet if it were priced there. $100k is my guesstimate. Time will tell.

You were reading my thoughts. They Z is around $80k list, Chevy would trip over their own feet if it were priced there. $100k is my guesstimate. Time will tell.

Well, both of you guys are incorrect in your thoughts, the Z06 is closer to "$70K" (base MSRP) and will continue to be built, the ZR-1 will be added to the lineup and even at $90k will be another $20k jump over the base Z06, just as the Z06 was over the base C6 when introduced! If you read Winding Roads Magazine (online only), a few readers were able to go to California and meet personally with Tom Wallace and other Corvette people from GM. They were also able to see and experience the ZR-1 firsthand as one was brought to the event to display and show its real stuff.

If GM had planned to replace the Z06 with the ZR-1, then for sure we would be seeing a price closer to $80k to $85k, but the ZR-1 will be a very limited production car and I believe a $20k increase over the present Z06.

The real question this thread should be asking is:

"How many would buy a ZR-1 at $80k, how many at $90k and how many at $100k?"

That would give GM a real good idea of how the car will sell as soon as it hits the dealerships!

:beer

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes
http://www.freewebs.com/velocityvettes/

I am afraid any of these prices would be completely out of my range but they are not building this car for people :crazy like me. They are building it for prestige and bragging rights and celebrities and the upper pay grades like Jay Leno and etc will surely have one or two of them. It sure won't be for the working class. No more than I drive mine I am happy with the C-5; good thing uh? It is very unlikely I would be able to afford one used that is 5 or 6 years old ;help

Bill :w

I am afraid any of these prices would be completely out of my range but they are not building this car for people :crazy like me. They are building it for prestige and bragging rights and celebrities and the upper pay grades like Jay Leno and etc will surely have one or two of them. It sure won't be for the working class. No more than I drive mine I am happy with the C-5; good thing uh? It is very unlikely I would be able to afford one used that is 5 or 6 years old ;help

Bill :w

I couldn't agee more. For me, my goal is to build something with drivability that I wouldn't have to worry about if I ever had the pleasure to encounter one of these, or anything else, for a huge dollar amount less. If you have the cash, by all means go out and get one, I won't blame you, but keep an eye on your rearview. There is always someone out there with alot more under the hood that is doing it for alot less. I'm not saying I'm in your reaview, I have too much respect for other corvette owners.

For $80,000 to $100,000 there is a pretty good chance :ugh I won't see one on the road in my area but if I do I will give it full respect :w that a Corvette deserves, nothing more nothin less.

Bill :beer and here to the ones that can afford one. . . . . .

Well let’s exercise the little gray/grey cells

From what I have been led to believe the Corvette has been one of the few GM divisions to be profitable for GM. (I for one do not know if this is factual or not)

I would guess they are going to use the same production lines to assemble, so some items cannot be to radically different without justifying a separate line for production. Which leads into this, what is the break-even point for production or will the standard Corvette be expected to offset the break-even point?

If this model is to radically different it may lower the standard Corvette sales in the long run, and the cost-of-production for the ZR1 may just cripple Corvette’s profitability margin.

Is the Z06 model to be totally eliminated? If so I would believe that could l also have a significant impact on Corvette sales?

Note; by standard Corvette I am referring to a coupe or convertible

Then again this just my opinion, but having a choice of buying a standard Corvette while there is the ZR1 being produced, gives me the impression that one is now buying a wannabe performance sports car when purchasing a standard Corvette.

The Z06 has been selling quite well (I would even guess it, the Z06 is even profitable for GM’s Corvette division), but when one ends up with a choice of a $50,000.00 - $60,000.00 Corvette to the only other option being possibly well over $100,000.00 (No middle Z06 model), just a choice of standard Corvette or a ZR1, then I would guess one could see profitability taking a dive. If this happens then I would expect to see further troubles on down the line. The name of the game is to still sell Corvettes

:upthumbs

Am I not correct in that there has been a standard, Z06, and ZR1 in the same year before? I don't see this as being that difficult a deal for GM to pull off. If we accept your single production line premise, that means the frame is the same, as is most of the wiring, right? Then you have different suspension/axel parts as with the standard and Z06 models, right? Add a really improved tranny/with world-class shifting - maybe even a true paddle-shift manual. You have the new engine brought in from some other plant. You then have significantly different body panels that still fit on the same (maybe re-enforced) frame, and you finish up with a significantly upgraded and/or different looking interior (custom seats, lots of cool leather/stitching, real stereo-think Audi R8) that still fits the same structually. Why is this so hard to do while bringing a true $90-95k price point car? Then wait for the C7 retooling to really make huge changes like mid-engine and all-wheel drive.:bu

It won't be anything less than $90k+.

Simply because the Z06 is $70k.

This ZR-1 is going be an entire "level up" from the Z06. Otherwise, what is the point of this vehicle?

Lutz has said designing this ZR-1 has been just as intensive as designing an all new generation of Corvette. That tells me there are going to be a lot of new parts, not just the drivetrain.

So, there is no doubt in my mind it will be somewhere around $100k...at the least.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom