Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pricing on a '66 Coupe

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
I don't want this to sound like another "what's it worth" thread, but I've had someone inquiring about my '66, and the car has a couple of things to consider that aren't typical for a midyear.
The first is the fact that it was SCCA roadraced for the first 3 years of it's life. (Personally, I think that's cool.) There is evidence of a rollbar once being installed, and of the car getting bumped around. Unfortunately, (the second thing) the front end got bumped too many times to patch it back together, so the car ended up getting an Ecklers' one piece front put on it. It looks alright, but the install wasn't that great- you can see where it was joined, and a couple of other sins. The paint is 26 years old, a 10-15 footer. The birdcage shows a touch of surface rust in front of where the doors shut on each side.
On the up side, it has the original 327-350 HP engine, 4-speed, and rear end still in it. The car has only around 54,000 miles. It has a good, solid frame. It runs and drives really well, sounds nice with factory sidepipes, (although not original to the car). I have the complete owner history all the way back to the original owner, whom I have talked with several times.
What kind of range would you say the car is in, pricewise?
See next post for pics.
Rich

Here is a link to a simular car for sale

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75611

There used to be a price calculator online but I lost the link to it.I think it was from corvette mike,or corvettemagazine.com the prices at the time were very realistic.

I am not good with pricing other wise i would place a guess.

$25-$28k.......the front end one piece detracts from the value....sorry....it is a nice looking car...so someone wanting and if your deisre is you could sell or not sell....might get the price up a bit more......good luck!!!

Rich,

That's a nice looking coupe!!

Since you were approached about selling it and did not initiate the sale, my opinion would be to price it very high.

About a year ago I had someone come up and tell me my '67 was beautiful and ask me what I wanted for it.
My car is a nice driver.

I told him I was not trying to sell it.
He persisted, so I gave him a "pie in the sky" number.

He looked at me and said "isn't that high?".
I said, "You asked, if you want the car, that's what it'll cost you".

My point is, you can always come down, but you can't go up in your asking price.
If you have someone that wants your car and has approached you about buying it, that puts you more more securely in the "driver's seat".
You definitely have more control over the situation, what goes into your wallet, and your car's future.

The value of these cars is not etched in stone anywhere.
All of the " pricing guides" that are available are just that...guides.

These cars are worth whatever someone wants to pay for them.

Clearly, your car is not NCRS material and won't get 200k at Barret-Jackson, but it is a beautiful driver.

The vast majority of mid-year buyers are not well versed in what to look for and are not concerned/don't even know about NCRS.

All they may want is a clean, good running mid-year vette that they can drive and enjoy.:)

A one-piece clip will mean nothing to them.
Honestly, on a driver car, it is not important!

Say to yourself:
"Could I replace my car with the sale price?
"Could I get something nicer?
"Do I really want to replace my car?

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Pedro
:w

Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking that it would have to be a minimum of $30,000 to make me consider a move. I do have a line on another midyear, or I wouldn't even entertain the thought of selling. Seeing what some of the project/basket cases have been going for lately, $30,000 might start to sound too low in a hurry. I am also in the process of installing the front bumpers on the car, so it will look complete. I really like the car, but there are so many cars, and so little time! I'm actually trying to sell my '71 LT-1 right now, so we'll see how it all plays out.

Thanks- Rich

MidShark said:
Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking that it would have to be a minimum of $30,000 to make me consider a move. I do have a line on another midyear, or I wouldn't even entertain the thought of selling. Seeing what some of the project/basket cases have been going for lately, $30,000 might start to sound too low in a hurry. I am also in the process of installing the front bumpers on the car, so it will look complete. I really like the car, but there are so many cars, and so little time! I'm actually trying to sell my '71 LT-1 right now, so we'll see how it all plays out.

Thanks- Rich

I dont know about selling the LT1 yet as it seams every thing is set for the Hi HP sharks to explode on pricing

The reason I say this , Is I am often contacted by freinds of freinds to look at corvettes for purchase and just recently I have been asked to look at some sharks,seams the guys who wanted the midyears are now moving on to the Hi HP sharks because theyre more afourdable

Story of my life, Larry. I just sold it this afternoon. I think the LT-1 cars have been under-appreciated for some time. I'm satisfied with what I got out of it, but I'm sure they are on their way up. I will probably miss it a bit, but after having it for 13 years, I am ready for something different.

Rich

MidShark said:
Story of my life, Larry. I just sold it this afternoon. I think the LT-1 cars have been under-appreciated for some time. I'm satisfied with what I got out of it, but I'm sure they are on their way up. I will probably miss it a bit, but after having it for 13 years, I am ready for something different.

Rich

Yup I know the feeling all too well I being ready for something different.

Best of luck with you decision

A car with documented race history may qualify for Vintage or Historic races. These cars are becoming very valuable because they're the only ticket into the sport.

Also you have great documentation.

Anything on these cars can be repaired and restored but documentation, complete owner history, the original engine and Race History are VERY valuable commodities.

I think you should hold out for 50-75 thousand on that '66.

If you put the front bumper on I would say about $40,000.

A racing history has little to no relevance for most buyers.

as a man who just spent many months shopping for a 65 vert -- i would say that the 66 coupe should be 40k firm -- if he wants to offer you 38 or 35 -- it's up to you to decide -- there is a large psychological hiccup that happens over 40 -- as a buyer something about 39.99k sounds so much better than 40 -- with muscle cars right now keeping under 40 seems to be attractive -- just my 2 cents -- nice car -- sean

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom