Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Problem with bose radio

B

Bob Yates

My bose radio stopped working. It had been popping when I turned it on at first and I would turn the volume up to get it to go away. I had the tape player repair last December through a GM dealer. After that it start the popping. It will only display the radio station call letters and the clock does not keep time. Also the antenna won't go down. I have checked all the fuses and they are good. When I turn it on now there is no noise. I noticed a clicking noise in the back compartment when turning it off and on. It sounds like a relay but thats all. Anyone know what I should look for and is there away to get the antenna down? I like to put my cover on. My vette is an 86 convertible...Thanks to any one for help. ......Bob Yates

Antenna relay

Bob,
Each time you turn on your car radio, There is a connection from your radio name Antenna Power. This wire applies a 12 volt signal to your antenna relay which powers the antenna motor to go up. Once you turn off the radio the 12 volt is removed from this wire which causes the relay to switch off. This action causes the antenna to lower. The antenna relay is located behind the rear interior paned near the antenna. It sound like you antenna relay or antenna motor is bad. The problem is not at the radio end.

As for the noise. It seems like your volume control has dirt/dust on its internal wiper. You can use electrical contact cleaner. I believe you can purchase this from Radio Shack. Keep in mind cleaning the contacts will only work for short time. You will probably need to spray it time to time.

I repaced all the bose speakers and Amps.
The pass rear was the worst. Now everything is Coooooooool.
And the Bose sounds GREAT.
tony

Boise is in Idaho! Check the harness connector on the radio. Clean all male and female lugs carefully. They are notorious for oxidizing and @#$^**(^@#$ everything up.:_rock

I have an up date.... the dome light fuse was blown. I must have missed it when I check them but I was looking at the radio fuse.After replacing the fuse my antenna started working. The fuse is a 15 amp but some one had a 25 amp in it's place sounds like it has been in trouble before. I put a 15 amp back in . I'll wait to see what happens. The radio still pops when I turn it on. I can't listen to it. I'll just listen to my exhaust . I think I like that station better any way. Thanks for all of your suggestions.....Bob Yates

It sounds to me like one of more of the speaker pre-amps are blown. You might need to replace them.

Does the popping noise come from one side or the just the rear. Try isolating the speakers front to rear.

My rear amps went bad a few years ago soI pulled the plug on them and got my sound back while I waited on my order for amps.

Hey Tuna....I'll try that but the popping seems to be coming from everywhere. If I turn the volume all the way it goes away for a bit and I can listen to a tape or radio station.The sound is very poor.Then the popping noise returns and I have to shut it down.Thanks for the info I'll see if I can find the problem in the front or rear....Bob Yates

new update....I replaced the radio with a newer bose with a CD player built in and it sounds great. All of my speakers were OK. It was the radio causing all the problems....Thanks to all....Bob Yates

Just one last question, isn't there a capacitor on the ignition that prevents the spark/ignition noise from leaking into the radio?

No one has suggested that idea yet. If your new radio works well, so be it. The new radio could have a filter on the power line cutting out all the ignition noise.

Just my $00.01, typically I would give two cents, but because of inflation I had to ½ it.

Hey gray85.... thanks for the info but this noise was not igntion it was a major big noise, like someone trying to reach me from deep outer space. The info I kept getting was my bose's speakers were shot. I even came close to sending them out. But this chance came along to upgrade to a CD player. I had an agreement that if it didn't work I wouldn't have to buy it. But luck was on my side and it sounds great.....Thanks again....Bob Yates

Bob,
Each time you turn on your car radio, There is a connection from your radio name Antenna Power. This wire applies a 12 volt signal to your antenna relay which powers the antenna motor to go up. Once you turn off the radio the 12 volt is removed from this wire which causes the relay to switch off. This action causes the antenna to lower. The antenna relay is located behind the rear interior paned near the antenna. It sound like you antenna relay or antenna motor is bad. The problem is not at the radio end.

As for the noise. It seems like your volume control has dirt/dust on its internal wiper. You can use electrical contact cleaner. I believe you can purchase this from Radio Shack. Keep in mind cleaning the contacts will only work for short time. You will probably need to spray it time to time.

I'm having the same problem, and I've isolated it to the knob/internal wiper. Any direction as to how to best clean said contacts? Is there a guide I'm missing?

I'm having the same problem, and I've isolated it to the knob/internal wiper. Any direction as to how to best clean said contacts? Is there a guide I'm missing?

Just so you know, the thread you are responding to is 15 years old..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom