Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Problem with reverse

J

John 1

I just purchased a 1978 corvette, L82 4 speed, that had been stored for 8 years. I changed the oil and filters and the engine started and runs great. The clutch had stuck to the fly wheel, probably caused by dampness. I was told to put it in gear, hold in the clutch and rock it until it broke loose. It came loose after about 3 minutes of rocking and all 4 forward gears work fine, but I can't get it to go into reverse. I've driven it around, changed gears but it still won't go in reverse. Anyone have any suggestions???

I had a T10 in my 79 TA the reverse shifter shaft seized inside the housing. I had to pull the trany pull the shaft out of the housing. I honed it a little whith a brake hone and it worked fine. the oil was not geting out to the O ring till I honed housing.

Hmmmmm

Can you get it in reverse with the engine off?
and does yours have the lift on the stick for Reverse lockout...If you remove that rod can you get reverse then? Otherwise you will have to get it up in the air and check the linkage arms.

Mike

Re: Hmmmmm

vigman said:
Can you get it in reverse with the engine off?
and does yours have the lift on the stick for Reverse lockout...If you remove that rod can you get reverse then? Otherwise you will have to get it up in the air and check the linkage arms.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom