Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

problems with active handling

kevin d

Corvette
2006 coupe victory red/94
any one else having problems with active handling my 06/ z-51 / auto / 8,200 miles

is going in for the second time?

first time was steering wheel sensor

18,000 miles here, no problems.

13,000 miles and no problems.

Have 06 Z51 Auto with 8,000 Mi and after the fix of the connector in the steering column it workc great.

any one else having problems with active handling my 06/ z-51 / auto / 8,200 miles

Turn off every active component and sign up for an HPDE. You are the active component of driving.

It's hard to get well when you don't tell the doc what's wrong...

Can you be any more vague about your "problems?"

20,000 miles on the and I'm eat up with "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM" messages on the DIC of the '06.

First time it happened, the service department says it did not have any stored codes but the repositioned the wiring harness in the sterring column. That seemed to last for a couple of weeks then this week, the message came back with a vengence. It has come on every time we drive the car since Monday.

I drove it to the dealer this morning with the message on - came on 1 house down from my driveway this morning. This is my wive's daily driver and we ain't going to live with it for very long.

I showed the message to the service writer so he knows it was there before shutting it off. We plan on driving this car to Bowling Green and the NCM for Labor Day in a little over a week, so I hope they find the problem this time.

Sounds like a short in the wiring harness in the steering wheel. Check for worn insulation ...

Tuna, how did you go from "13,000 miles and no problems" to "20,000 miles on" and a repeat issue? Did your issues occur within 5 months? Just trying to learn a little bit here.

Sounds like a short in the wiring harness in the steering wheel. Check for worn insulation ...

Tuna, how did you go from "13,000 miles and no problems" to "20,000 miles on" and a repeat issue? Did your issues occur within 5 months? Just trying to learn a little bit here.

Since my last post on this, my wife has taken the DSOM as her daily driver doubling to tripling the miles driven each day. The streets downtown are much rougher than the roads I drive to work also. A month or so ago, she got the message for the first time. After seeing it a couple more times, intermitantly over a couple of weeks, we took it to the shop. The technician said it didn't have any stored codes but they repositioned the wiring harness in the steering wheel. The car drove fine for 2 weeks then last Tuesday, she got the message again. Wednesday, it came on on the way home and she made me come out and look at it. 15 minutes later, she went back out and the message came right back after starting. On Thursday, coming home, it the message was off and everything was working right. Then she made a left turn and the car laid down on her as she was crossing traffic. Not nice with traffic coming. She noticed the active handling engaged message just a moment before it gave her power back and switched to the "Service active handling..." message. That scared her and she say she was not driving the car again until it was checked again.

Friday morning, I was going to drive the car to work. I got one house down the street from my driveway and got the "Service active handling..." message. I drove it straight to the dealer and showed the service writer the message and even talked to the service manager about it. That's where it is now. I hope that whatever is broke is 'hard broke' and they can find it.

Got my '06 back and they tell me that there is a technical bulletin that addresses the codes that were set. This required removing the steering column, cutting the wire ties on the wiring harness and rerouting them using electrical tape ensure that the wires are not in tension.

It's been 2 days without problem. Then again, it took 2 weeks between they first 'service' on this issue and it failing again.

We're driving it to Alabama and Kentucky next week and will be on the road with it for 8-9 days. That ought to test it. Our final stop before heading home is Bowling Green and the NCM for the Labor Day event. If it gives us any grief, I'll see if the plant people want to mess with it.

Since my last post on this, my wife has taken the DSOM as her daily driver doubling to tripling the miles driven each day. The streets downtown are much rougher than the roads I drive to work also. A month or so ago, she got the message for the first time. After seeing it a couple more times, intermitantly over a couple of weeks, we took it to the shop. The technician said it didn't have any stored codes but they repositioned the wiring harness in the steering wheel. The car drove fine for 2 weeks then last Tuesday, she got the message again. Wednesday, it came on on the way home and she made me come out and look at it. 15 minutes later, she went back out and the message came right back after starting. On Thursday, coming home, it the message was off and everything was working right. Then she made a left turn and the car laid down on her as she was crossing traffic. Not nice with traffic coming. She noticed the active handling engaged message just a moment before it gave her power back and switched to the "Service active handling..." message. That scared her and she say she was not driving the car again until it was checked again.

Friday morning, I was going to drive the car to work. I got one house down the street from my driveway and got the "Service active handling..." message. I drove it straight to the dealer and showed the service writer the message and even talked to the service manager about it. That's where it is now. I hope that whatever is broke is 'hard broke' and they can find it.
OK,tuna. Thank you for the add'l information. Here is a common scenario with this malady:
The wires inside the telescoping steering wheel are slightly too short. When the wheel telescopes, this causes tension (wire stretching/breakage.) When this happens the system shorts and you can get a message/code. The worst case scenario is when your brakes apply themselves. This sounds like what happened to your wife. This is a highly dangerous situation. The brakes do not apply evenly. They oscillate right to left at a very fast rate. (Kinda like driving with a severly unbalanced wheel @ 100mph.) Only this will take the wheel from your hands. It brakes to impending lockup. You made a wise decision to get it to the dealership.

We got the DSOM back on Wednesday after dropping it off the Friday before. They found computer codes this time (don't have them with me) and that pointed them to different bulletins that required them to pull the steering column, cut all the wire ties from the wiring harness, reroute the wires and tape them with electrical tape.

So far, so good.

We headed out to Alabama and Kentucky with the DSOM on Sunday, Aug 26th, and returned home Saturday Sept 1st. The DSOM never missed a beat, never set any active handlling message other that active handling engaged. 1500 miles in a week and not a problem. Like I said, so far - so good.

My wife is now driving it to work everyday again. We'll see how that goes after a few weeks.

Service Active Handling System Issue

I purchased a new 2005 C6 Convertible back in February of 2005. During the last 2 1/2 years I constantly would have the "Service Active Handling System" light come on. I have taken the car to 3 different Chevrolet Dealerships for service and none of them could ultimately fix the issue.
My 2005 C6 Convertible currently has about 20K miles and the first time the light came on it had about 6K miles and that was back in May/2005. This issue has happened alteast 5 times during the last 2 1/2 years and I have scheduled a conference call with GM next week to begin the process for a GM Buy Back.
I have heard from the dealerships that it was a faulty sensor, improper wiring, faulty transmission module, alternator issue (which they replace it with a brand new about 2 years ago) and more. They have done all the necessary service to try to correct the issue. I have even brought the car in the dealership with the "Service Active Handling System" light still on. Once you turn the car off and then back on the light does not show up until you start driving it 70+ MPH for a long period of time so I have found. Although sometimes the light will come on driving it slower for a shorter time but very rarely.
Has anybody had any similar issues with their Vette's??? I hate to get rid of mine as I have enjoyed everything except the service issues but my warranty ends in February/2008 and I no longer have anymore patience dealing with the Service Active Handling System issue. Does anybody think I have a Lemon?? When the GM buy back process is complete I will have to post my VIN number for all used Corvette purchaser's to see so they don't end up with my issue!!
Regards, alex

Just had this happen today!! Called for service appointment. After reading about the
brakes locking it makes me nervous because I just made a 2000 mile trip and drove at
90 mph most of the way. Before I traded in my 2004, I asked the service advisor here
about which model gave the most trouble. She told me the 2005's and told me a story
about one locking up on the highway at speed. I guess I should have heeded her warning. Hopefully now with others having this problem, GM will fix it.

So far, so good since last post.
No problems with this since the steering column wiring harness work.

Now I have to replace the front tires and get ready for winter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom