Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Proud New Owner of a Red 90 Callaway Supernatural 490

Ben, I saw this car and noticed its rims... I remember you looking for Dymags

May want to consider buying it, putting stock wheels back on it for a few hundred bucks and flipping it back for sale - It would not be the first time that was done to get a nice set of Dymags :cool

http://usedcorvettesforsale.com/cat/l_12332.htm

12332_9.jpg

Good idea but 1 issue. My car is a ZR1 and the car for sale is a stock vette. The rear rims would be too narrow. But thanks for the look out.

Regards,
1badzr1
Ben

Actually if you look closely, that car is wearing 11" rear Dymags...which only came in ZR1 offset. The car is simply wearing the wrong wheels on the rear.

Chris,

The ride ships out on Monday. Unfortunately, with the holiday season that was the earliest they could pick it up. They expect 3 days for it to be in transit, so if all goes well it should be at my house by Thursday night.

Dymags, I will inquire about the car since you pointed that out. In the description he says they came off a challenge car, that is why I figured they would not fit.

Thanks,
1badzr1
BR

Well I can say finally my CR1 was loaded on the transport this morning and will arrive on Monday.:cool With the Christmas Holiday it was impossible to get a transport to be reliable enough to pick up my car any earlier than today. I had to go through 4 transport companies before I could get a date that was firm. They seem to lead you along and giving you pick up dates that they cannot promise, then when the date comes there is an excuse i.e. The truck broke down or bad weather. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!:mad

But in the end I can say by Late Christmas Present is on the way!! :upthumbs

Hello,

I received the CR1 on Tuesday night. To say that I am happy is an understatement. I spent the better part of the evening detailing every part of the car. Didn't go to bed until 1AM.

Now I need some advice and recommendations. When I had the CR1 on the lift I noticed that the half shafts are rusty. When I pass my hand or rag over them the rust is powdery. What can I use to remove the rust to get them back to silver? Also, what are they made of steel or aluminum. The rest of the car shows no rust. On my 95 they always remained rustfree. I'm just surprised that the Half shafts are in this condition.

Your help is appreciated.
Regards,
Ben

1badzr1 said:
Hello,

I received the CR1 on Tuesday night. To say that I am happy is an understatement. I spent the better part of the evening detailing every part of the car. Didn't go to bed until 1AM.

Now I need some advice and recommendations. When I had the CR1 on the lift I noticed that the half shafts are rusty. When I pass my hand or rag over them the rust is powdery. What can I use to remove the rust to get them back to silver? Also, what are they made of steel or aluminum. The rest of the car shows no rust. On my 95 they always remained rustfree. I'm just surprised that the Half shafts are in this condition.

Your help is appreciated.
Regards,
Ben

1990 ZR-1's have steel Half Shafts!

John H. Christensen said:
1990 ZR-1's have steel Half Shafts!
Only the first few hundred. My '90 has aluminum.

I think the rust is normal, though. You might check with other steel-shaft-owning ZR1 owners, though. But often that kind of steel is the kind that will have surface rust, but it won't corrode from the rust. I imagine if you clean it off, it will just rust up again.

But if I were you, I'd feel better hearing that the same thing happens to everyone with the steel half-shafts. :)

Aurora40,

Do you think it can come off fairly easy with some steel wool since it is surface rust?

Thanks
Ben

I guess I'd want to find out more first. I don't know if this is true of steel half-shafts since they aren't as thick, thus variations have less effect. But I'm pretty sure the aluminum half-shafts and drive-shaft are balanced. So they have little flat weights stuck on them. You don't want to knock those off with steel wool.

Would it make since to replace them with newer year Half shafts. If so, do I need to get them from a ZR1 or is a non ZR1 corvette Half shafts the same and can be used?

Thanks
Ben

You will not knock of the flat weights! The force from spinning around then your hitting the highway is much greater then you hitting them with your steel wool. I have a 86 alu drive shaft on my 81 and polished the thing but the balance weight is still fixed on it so don't worry.

Also aluminum will not corrode like steel (rust). Aluminum will just fade to a non reflective alu color to a white shine on it. The rust on your half shaft isn't going to damage it because it only at the service. But when it was my CR1 (i can only dream..) it would continuously be in my memory. If you are detailing the car rust on the haft shaft would be a very annoying! I would just take the haft shaft out, take the bearings out (sorry forgot the real word) and take them to a shop where they sandblast them and powder coat or wet coat them! They'll be forever new from then on :)

Steel haft shaft don't have to be as thick as alu one's Alu will bend more quickly under high torque then steel (twist the shaft around it's own axes) Maybe the GM/Lotus engineers wanted to be on the save side with the first ZR1's by putting steel under the car instead of alu? :)

Groeten Peter.

A friend just emailed me saying that Naval Jelly brushed on and left for 8 Hours should wipe the surface rust right off with the pressure of a water hose. The Naval jelly will replace the need to use sandpaper and/or steel wool. Then by waxing the half shafts it should slow down the oxidation process.

I am off to Home Depot. I will let you all know my results.

Thanks
Ben

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get a mint pair of half shafts 92 - 95. I tried to clean mine the best way I could but they are not appearing up to my standards. So I would just like to replace them with an Aluminum set.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
1badzr1
Ben

1badzr1 said:
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get a mint pair of half shafts 92 - 95. I tried to clean mine the best way I could but they are not appearing up to my standards. So I would just like to replace them with an Aluminum set.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
1badzr1
Ben
Ben, Check with Carmen or Dennis.

Chris - As I understand it they are specific to a ZR1. At least that is what was told to me from a corvette junk yard in California.

Phil - I spoke to Carmen, he dosen't have an extra set and recommends to stick with the steel one, because of strength and just have them powder coated. So with his recommendation, I am dropping the CR1 off on Monday so they can do the job. I am going to have them powder coat them to Guards Red to match the exterior color.
Regards,
Ben

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom