Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pulling pan for inspection

GT6Steve@aol.com

Corvette
1981 Oyster coupe
After a carb failure last week I've developed an engine knock. I'm assuming a lot of raw fuel was dumped into the sump diluting the oil. I had the oil changed on the weekend to be safe but apparently too late. On the way to work Monday a knock developed at 2000 RPM and by the time I arrived it was knocking continuosly. Brought it home on a wrecker...

To the point, Can I pull the pan on the 81 with the engine in place?? The crossmember is pretty wide and I know there's a pickup in the way.

Is there any chance the crank and rod are OK??

I've got two Range Rover engines apart at the moment and don't really fancy another pile of parts floating around.

Thanx in advance, Steve in Las Vegas

To the point, Can I pull the pan on the 81 with the engine in place?? The crossmember is pretty wide and I know there's a pickup in the way.

Is there any chance the crank and rod are OK??

Yes, you can drop the pan with little hassle - unbolt the steering idler arm from the frame and pull the linkage down out of the way, set the crank with the timing index line at 5 o'clock (as viewed from the front) to get the front counterweight up out of the way, and drop the pan.

Pull a few rod and main caps and see what the bearings and journals look like.

:beer

Yes, you can drop the pan with little hassle - unbolt the steering idler arm from the frame and pull the linkage down out of the way, set the crank with the timing index line at 5 o'clock (as viewed from the front) to get the front counterweight up out of the way, and drop the pan.

Pull a few rod and main caps and see what the bearings and journals look like.

:beer

Thanx immensely John. I'll probably have a go at it tomorrow morning. Here's hoping, eh?:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom