Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Push button start fails sometimes

Tony1Leo

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport
I have had my 07 since March. On 3 or 4 occasions, I have hit the start button and nothing happens...no lights come on in the dash, no starter, no sound, no nothing. It starts after hitting the button a couple more times, but it's alarming thinking that someday it may not start. I thought it may just be the FOB not communicating, but it unlocked the doors to let me in. I haven't tried the dealer yet, because I will not be able to duplicate the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
Tony

What is your battery voltage? Sounds like it could be the button switch also.

Just a thought, is it possible the clutch isn't down all the way or that the clutch switch isn't engaged properly on the pedal?

2- friend with 07s had the same problem one dealer fooled around for 3 weeks the other tested the battery for 24 hrs and the voltage dropped and the battery went dead. Both got new battery's and the problem was fixed. The computer must have a minim voltage to work. If not nothing happens.

My voltage is at 14.5, so it's not the battery. It's not the clutch switch. I have the auto-manual paddle swifters with the Z51 package. It's not the push button start, because all the lights are out before I push anyting. The lights are normally on when you get into the car. At a lost.

My voltage is at 14.5, so it's not the battery. It's not the clutch switch. I have the auto-manual paddle swifters with the Z51 package. It's not the push button start, because all the lights are out before I push anyting. The lights are normally on when you get into the car. At a lost.
Loose connection somehwere!

How long a period of time elapses between the time that you push the button the first time and you decide it's a no-start then push it a second time?

I had the same problem then it dawned on me that I forget to put my foot on the brake pedal and push - Did this at driving school - felt like an idiot.....

There's not much time between trying to start it again. No more than 5 to 10 seconds. It has always started on the 3 or 4 attempt.
Tony

There is so much electronic garbage associated with starting the car, parking the car, getting out of the car. An engineering nightmare between the lawyers and the engineers to make any possible lawsuits avoidable, creating a pain in the azz problem if something in the system actually breaks. I'd say that your problem was that the planets were not quite aligned that day so it wouldn't start. One thing doesn't properly check through that VATS and or computer, forget it, a no start. It also could be the switch, but it has worked since. ;)

I have had continuous problems with my 2006. In my case I have a manual trans and have to go thru the starting process up to 30 times when it acts up. Of course the dealer cannot duplicate. Typically worse when the car has just been driven and is warm. sometimes I'll get a 1/4 crank on first push then nothing for several attempts. I even had the dealer change the neutrel safety switch because if I pump the clutch several times it seems to help it want to start. I totally understand the frusteration. My wife wont get in the car for fear of getting stuck somewhere. If anyone has suggestions I pray they chime in! We cannot be the only ones!

Anybody get this fixed? I have the same problem, only mine only presents at temps under 35 degrees after the cars been sitting for 8 hours or so. I get a SVS on the DIC after it finally does start, took it to the dealer, no stored code, they haven't a clue.

So far I've put in a new battery, cleaned the battery terminals, tried both fobs, put new batteries in both fobs, changed the crank relay, no joy. Also made sure my cell phone was not close to the fob, tried putting the fob in the fob slot, no luck. Darn near did not get it going this morning....take it to the dealer, they can't find a thing. They are keeping it over night so that they can witness it first hand but since they say they haven't any idea, I doubt it will get fixed.

It's an A6 by the way.

Anybody get this fixed? I have the same problem, only mine only presents at temps under 35 degrees after the cars been sitting for 8 hours or so. I get a SVS on the DIC after it finally does start, took it to the dealer, no stored code, they haven't a clue.

So far I've put in a new battery, cleaned the battery terminals, tried both fobs, put new batteries in both fobs, changed the crank relay, no joy. Also made sure my cell phone was not close to the fob, tried putting the fob in the fob slot, no luck. Darn near did not get it going this morning....take it to the dealer, they can't find a thing. They are keeping it over night so that they can witness it first hand but since they say they haven't any idea, I doubt it will get fixed.

It's an A6 by the way.

Please let me know if you find a solution! In 3 years the dealer has not been able to duplicate the problem. If they could drive it for a week as their personal vehicle they would come to know the frustration. I'm really considering selling the car, I've had one electrical issue after another. I am going to pursue the Lemon laws first.

HI there,
First, if you have a low voltage conditions, there WILL BE CODES IN THE VEHICLE.
Second, personally, if you can duplicate it, let the vehicle sit overnight at the dealership, you go there first thing in the morning and duplicate it FOR THEM!
It may be troublesome, but if you can show them what its doing, why not?
Record how long it sits, temperature of the vehicle, stored inside or out, you name it.
Give them as many details as possible, this will help you as well as them.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks for your reply but the car has been at the dealer cold, hot, just driven you name it. The only thing I haven't done is called a tow truck when it happens. I'm afraid they'd roll it off and it would start right up. I logged each time it happened for a month, ambient temp, motor temp, how long it had been running, how long it had sat, every conceivable thing I could think of. Problem is if you don't drive it daily for errands, business and general use, the problem wont show up. The car has a new battery as of last week and the problem presented the first day after. It took 27 times to start over a 10 minute period.

Not always in the same place, does it at home, at work, the only dependent factor is temp. Tried the fob in slot before and after start button push, no effect.

Dealer just called, they were able to duplicate the issue this morning, the SVS was for a fault in the fog lamp circuit. They will investigate that and they have a call into GM for the no-start problem.

Doesn't seem to care where it is, home, work, beach, 7-11 and temp isn't a factor in mine. Summer, winter, spring or fall, engine temp doesn't seem to matter either. Mine doesn't discrinate, you just never know when it will happen or how many time you'll have to hit the start button. As said in previous post, ocassionally, i can pump the clutch several time and then it will start. They installed a new switch and that didnt work either.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Dealer called today, they've ordered a new BCM and will install it when it arrives tomorrow. They believe this will fix the fog lamp circuit SVS which presents right after a no-start. They didn't say why they think it will fix it though. Their hope is this will take care of the cold no crank condition, though there's only circumstantial correlation between the two. It will be another 2 days before they can cold test it with the new BCM. I'm not exactly feeling all warm and fuzzy about it but it's probably to the point now where parts need to be thrown at it until it's fixed. BCM sounds like an ok place to start, I guess

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom