Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Putting a 1990 Corvette L-98 into my Classic 1972 Blazer

72Blazerod

Corvette
1972 Sunflower Yellow Coupe (Bone Stock)
Hi guys,

I am a newbie but I have loved Vettes since I can remember. I want to get a 1972 Corvette to go with my 1972 Blazer, but that's besides the point. I need a list of items, names and prices for a few things to get this 1990 L-98 I have in my garage into my 1972 Blazer.

Here is the list I have complied so far but I would like to know what I am missing and where I can get a good deal on these parts:

New throttle cable
Vehicle Speed Sensor (JagsThatRun)
External fuel pump (eventually a new tank, but not necessary)
New fan (opposite flow water pump)
New radiator hoses/fittings.
New fuel return line.
New air filter and fittings to direct away from radiator

Is there any thing that I am missing? Where can I get this stuff? Do you have any suggestions as to name brands or part numbers?

Thanks guys,

Rod

I think you can do it easier than using the electronics from the vette.
I would see if I could use the computer from the Ramjet 350 crate engine. It is a one wire connection. The computer and everything are located on the engine and it only needs the hi pressure fuel and 12v. It was designed for a boat.
Otherwise get the book on installing a TPI from JTR

JS

to bad u have a L98 and not a LT1 in your garage, hehe

L98's are 230 hores to where LT1's are 300

but then again u have a 1990 one so it may have like 260 hp on it or 240

72Blazerod said:

New throttle cable
Vehicle Speed Sensor (JagsThatRun)
External fuel pump (eventually a new tank, but not necessary)
New fan (opposite flow water pump)
New radiator hoses/fittings.
New fuel return line.
New air filter and fittings to direct away from radiator

Is there any thing that I am missing? Where can I get this stuff? Do you have any suggestions as to name brands or part numbers?

Thanks guys,

Rod

Throttle cable---Try a 3rd gen camaro cable from the bone yard. It should be long enough for the truck.
The speed sensor will only be needed depending on what computer/harness/trans/speedo gauges you are running. I suggest you get a complete Painless Wire Harness for the L98 including the appropriate chip. THey will inform you of what speed sensor if any you need to run.
You can get a high pressure pump from almost anywhere now. Just call summit racing 1-800-230-3030 and tell them whay you have and get what you need.
Go with an electric fan on the radiator--quieter, less energy drain, and makes the engine look cool. You can go to the bone yard, or order one from Summit while getting the wire harness/pump/chip
You will just have to measure and fit the radiator lines one at a time. I hope you have a Napa or such near by.
The return fuel line can be had from Napa for about $3 a foot, or from Summit Racing when you get the other. High pressure MPI rubber fuel line is just fine. There is a blue colored line that holds 250 psi. I have that included with my EFI kit from Edelbrock. Must hydraulic supply line companies will sell it to you.
Look at the F-body, most likely a Firebird for the front air intake tube in a 90 degree. EVen the later model LT1 will fit. From there you will just need straight tube and the cone air filter. Again, check with Summit, as they have some ram air/cold air induction tubes and hoses for the F-body that should drop right into the truck on the TPI.

Good luck! Welcome to CAC. I might move this thread over to "other cars" later on to get more exposure there. We will see what Ken and Jay think as well.

RE: L-98 vs LT-1
He's putting the engine in a truck; look at the difference between the L-98 and LT-1 torque curves, and you can see that the L-98 looks like it was designed as a truck engine!
- R

And regarding electric fans for cooling:
Again, it's a truck. Electric fans that won't cool a 3400 lb Corvette surely won't cool a 5400 lb truck!

Unless "looking" cool has some thermodynamic value! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom