Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quarter Panel Replacement

socor7

Corvette
1976 White with red Int 4 speed
180066093_d8b846925c_m.jpg

As you can see from the photo I have got the panel removed and noticed that the wheel well has separated from the upper body panel. I am wondering how best to reattach it. if you need more detailed photos as I could only attach one photo? oh well. the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/socor7/

Thanks

Drew

Drew, I use Fusor 127EZ. On that wheelhouse it only needs to be bonded on the inner side (engine side), and the outer side (to the outer pannel) not to the top. There is just a seal strip across the top.
Aaron

That's right. That gap at the top of that inner panel is filled with a black foam strip from the factory. Probably to allow the fender top to move at a different rate than the inner panel when setting in the hot sun. I wouldn't bond that area at all.

Tom Bryant said:
That's right. That gap at the top of that inner panel is filled with a black foam strip from the factory. Probably to allow the fender top to move at a different rate than the inner panel when setting in the hot sun. I wouldn't bond that area at all.
No,No,No!!!! Your right Tom!!! It will warp in the sun and LOOK Like Dog Poop!!! I use Dura glass mixed with polyester resin on non SMC car's and Fusor on SMC and Composite cars!!:upthumbs

Fusor 127EZ is for bonding of SMC or fiberglass.
Aaron

I hear that Fusor is a good product, and should do the job. I would make sure to use a brand name BONDING Adhesive... Ecklers bonding adhesive works good and is reasonably priced. I personally use Marine Tex. It is kind of expensive ($60 per quart) but I have found no other product as strong or that mimicks the factory bonding adhesive in texture and color. Marine Tex is available at most automotive paint supply houses.

Note: use it in a well ventilated area.

Hope this helps!!

Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom