Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about keys...

78Chevy

I have a stupid question but I have got to know the answer. I have always thought that GM cars and trucks have two keys. One for the ignition and the other for the door. I use one key for both on my 69 vette. Is this correct?

Yes ... and No

Yes the door and the ignition are the same key, but there should be a second key. My '68 Camaro had two, the round one locked the glovebox and opened the trunk, the square one unlocked the doors and operated the ignition. Don't know when they changed to seperate ignition and door keys, but I'm wanting to say my '79 K5 Blazer was the same as the Camaro.

:w

:pat

Yes, my 90 Coupe has two keys. Square shaped one for ignition, and the round/oval key for the doors/VATS system, the glove box and the center console.
Tommy

Two Keys

My 72 had both keys, the square one for the ignition and the oval one for the doors, alarm switch and glove box door.

My '73 has a square key for the doors and ignition and a round key for the alarm and spare tire.

You know, it has been many years since I owned that 72 (wish I had it now) the square key may have fit the door, hard to be sure this far down the road, but I do know it had both keys.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom