Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

question about the 6-speed

T

tvgm84

This is something that I've been wondering for awhile

Did they ever get rid of the computer lock out of 2nd and 3rd gear on 6 speed in later editions of the C4?

I heard that it is wicked annoying

Two ways to slay the beast-
1. buy the cags disconnect piece from a catalog.
2. Just unplug the sucker and save the $$

It is located on the drivers side of the transmission if i remember correctly.

-Mike

No, but it is pretty easy to eliminate. Whoever thought that one up? That is one of the stupidist things I have ever seen. Guy

vetteguy said:
No, but it is pretty easy to eliminate. Whoever thought that one up? That is one of the stupidist things I have ever seen. Guy

I agree, but I think it was to meet the CAFE requirement in the US.

Also all the C4's with the 6spd and even the C5's still have that annoying 1-4 upshift solenoid

For Those Of Us With An Auto Tranny...

Can someone please explain EXACTLY how the CAGS feature works on the 6 speed? The car does not allow skipping certain gears when shifting, or do I have it all wrong? When you disconnect it, does it throw codes? Just wondering.

Thanks for any input.

Re: For Those Of Us With An Auto Tranny...

RubyDropTop said:
Can someone please explain EXACTLY how the CAGS feature works on the 6 speed? The car does not allow skipping certain gears when shifting, or do I have it all wrong? When you disconnect it, does it throw codes? Just wondering.

Thanks for any input.

First I think the only years that would throw codes would be 1995 and 1996 Maybe 1994..

Anyway what CAGS does is under certain Engine Temp, RPM, and TPS, Also possibly the MAP value when accelerating from a Stop the ECM engages a solenoid the blocks the gates for 2nd and you then go direct into 4th.

My '95 CAGS is unplugged. No codes thrown. Shift 1-4 light still comes on under right conditions but tranny doesn't know it.

Joe Bob

OK, You all have my interest. I've had it with that darn skip shift. I grind the gears every time it tries to shove it over to fourth. Can you really just unplug it ??? Which plug is it ? Any more detail would be great. Mine is a '93.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

Its on the left side of transmission. You gotta get under the car to get it. I saw it when I replaced back-up light switch. It was already unplugged. About halfway back as I recall. Hope this helps.

Joe Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom