Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question for RamJet 350 owners

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
This applies to C1s or C2s. What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your RamJet 350 crate engine? City, Highway and combined would help. Also, what rear gear do you have and what tranny are you using?

For my 66 vert I have a choice to go with the RamJet 350 or a cam-upgraded LS1 engine (about 370hp). Either would be mated to a Keisler 5-speed with a Dana 44 3.45. The LS1 will deliver about 17-20mpg in the city, about 26-29 on the highway and somewhere in between combined. Looking for comparison specs, any help?

Gas mileage

I have a Ram Jet 350 installed in a '62. T-56 6 speed with 0.5:1 overdrive, 3.08 rear gear. At 75 mph (about 1500 rpm) I get about 25-26 mpg. About 20 around town. I have one of the first Ram Jets which does not have an O2 sensor. I would suspect that the newer ones should get close to 30 mpg with my gearing.

I have a friend with a (sort of) Ram Jet in a 64. Actually it is more like a ZZ4 with the Ram Jet injection system with the Arizona Speed and Marine O2 conversion. I believe he told me that he gets around 24-25 on the highway. He has a 700R4 trans. Don't remember his rear end ratio.

I've talked to other Ram Jet owners at car shows and they were getting between 15-20 mpg, but these cars were street rods with non-overdrive transmissions (TH400's) and lower gears (higher numerically) in the rear than mine.

Charles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom