Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

question on alternator/belts install

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
almost done (except for valve cover and carb..... ) and I only have the distributor, alternator, and belts left to install.

i've been working on the alternator and got it mounting up but than the belt won't reach it enough to slip over the pulley even with the alrernator shifter all the way up as far as it will move.
can you guys please confirm I am running the bels correctly?

1. inside belt (closest to the block):
this is the smaller of the two belts and runs around the crank pulley, the WP pulley and the idler pulley. This one is fitting fine and I just have to adjust tension via the idler pulley.

2. outside belt (closest to the fanblade):
this is the long belt and it runs around the crank pulley, WP pulley and to the alternator and tension would be adjusted via alternator top mount.

does this sound correct?

before disassembly, the alternator was positioned so that it was approx at the halfway point within the long slot on the top mounting bracket. currently, even with the alternator shifted up to the very end of the slot on that beacket closest to the WP the belt is coming up too short and I can't figure out why.

as a reminder, my motor is the L76 - no PS, no PB, no AC.
both crank and WP pulleys are basic 2-groove pulleys.

thanks!

The positioning of the alternator looks about right to me (another way to say it is are you sure the lower part of the alternator is assembled correctly on the bracket?)...other than that, is the belt sitting perfectly in each groove of the water pump and crank pulleys?...if so, and you are certain it is the correct belt, then you somehow installed the alternator incorrectly BUT i don't think that's your problem

John, you are right, sorry i misspoke. I was looking at an obvious mark on the bracket where it must have been positioned at a previous time.

Kid, I had to figure out the long bolt, and sleeve on the lower mounting but it really only seems to go in correctly one way and the alignment of the alternator pulley and the belt seems correct so I'm assuming I had it mounted up right. The first thing I checked was that the belt was sitting in the pulley groves correctly also.

i can't seem to figure anything else that would not allow the belt to reach the pulley on the alternator. The WP can't move, the crank pulley can't move so that only leaves the alternator and it only shifts up so far before the case hits and stops it against the lower bracket. :confused

Stupid thought (on MY part :) ) but are you sure that you have the upper alternator bracket mounted on the right water pump bolt? Chuck

Chuck
that was one of my thoughts also so I checked it against one of my previous pics. It's mounted on the upper waterpump bolt, same as before.

The issue SEEMS to be, but I'm not positive, is that the alternator will only go so far "up" towards the block before the case hits the lower bracket and stops movement. Even in the full "up" position it's not enough to pull the belt over the alternator pulley.
Everything is definitely mounted and installed as it was before I did the disassembly as far as I can tell so I can't figure out what's different now causing the trouble.

The alternator should swing in to the point where it touches/hits the valve cover. Chuck

Barry,

Not sure from reading your thread but did you happen to replace the belts with new ones? How about the washers for your bracket bolts, did they get reinstalled right?

In that Pic that Jonh linked..... I don't know maybe I smoked to much crack but... If that pic reflects the Alternators final adjustment point ..then it looks like you have the wrong belt...Me thinks that my old SB alternator sat out further closer to the fendor when in the final posisition..... Not inwards as shown in that pic.

Am I missing something here??:confused

Hey VNV, remember that bag o'v-belts you saw in my CR-V??? Now you know why I travel with a selection. An inch here, an inch there...it all adds up to a bag full.

BarryK...pull the valve cover off to allow the alternator to swing over closer to the block, install the belt, push the alternator outboard and then install the valve cover. Drive the hell out of it

Kid_Again said:
Hey VNV, remember that bag o'v-belts you saw in my CR-V??? Now you know why I travel with a selection. An inch here, an inch there...it all adds up to a bag full.

BarryK...pull the valve cover off to allow the alternator to swing over closer to the block, install the belt, push the alternator outboard and then install the valve cover. Drive the hell out of it

Dam......
Drive The Hell Out Of It...
.....:L

I would just get a 6 foot Jhonson Bar and jam it in between the Valve Cover and Alternator and pull that sucker back untill she screams for Mercy..... Did that to my Second Wief.....:D

all, same belts as before.......

Ok, from an excellent suggestion from JL66RedCpe I got the alternator belt on finally. THANK YOU JOHN!!!!!
I ended up removing the rear bolt from the alternator lower bracket and the top mount bolt. Than I rotated the entire alternator and lower bracket forward and down, slipped the belt over the pulley, than put it back in the proper position and put the bracket bolts back.
:beer

Now all I have to is wait on the valve cover and carb and I can try to fire this sucker back up and pray for no leaks.

BarryK said:
all, same belts as before.......

Ok, from an excellent suggestion from JL66RedCpe I got the alternator belt on finally. THANK YOU JOHN!!!!!
I ended up removing the rear bolt from the alternator lower bracket and the top mount bolt. Than I rotated the entire alternator and lower bracket forward and down, slipped the belt over the pulley, than put it back in the proper position and put the bracket bolts back.

Now all I have to is wait on the valve cover and carb and I can try to fire this sucker back up and pray for no leaks.

I Don't know here.... Doesn't sound like I think what the General had in mind for changing a Alternator Belt. I remember just losening my alt and moving it in to the end of travel ..slipping the belt on and then pulling back to tignten.

May be you need to double check the belt Id in Inches with the Experts here...May be you'v had the wrong belt from Jump..!!

Ok Experts..... Lets have the correct number and ID in Inches to confirm he has the correct belt...

Mark
I'm guessing like you that the belt may be incorrect and an inch or two short but it's what was on there, It's on there again now, so it can stay on a little longer.
It would be nice to know the corrrect belt size though for future reference.

Than again.......... it will have to get changed out probably to a different one altogether if I do the AC install later this winter.

BarryK said:
Mark
I'm guessing like you that the belt may be incorrect and an inch or two short but it's what was on there, It's on there again now, so it can stay on a little longer.
It would be nice to know the corrrect belt size though for future reference.

Than again.......... it will have to get changed out probably to a different one altogether if I do the AC install later this winter.

Well Right you are There Barry..... It just seems to me if you throw or break a belt on your next trip ..it would be nice to have the correct one just slip on by losening a few bolts rather then pull the brackets lose and drop the whole rig..:ugh ... Screw that....:beer

Mark
I do agree being able to put it on the normal way would be easier....... :)

I have to agree wiht Mark here although I dont know the correct belt fpr a 65 365 offf the top of my head. That belt does look like it may be too short. However, all you have to do is call Quanta and they will fix you up with the correct belt(s).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom