Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question on C-2 Shifter side cover

rohard

Corvette
2014 Z51 Coupe and 08 Cooksey ZO6
I am having trouble with my C-2 (started the thread on c2 shifter problem). I think I found the problem, but not sure what to do about it. The transmission (4 speed) is losing it's lubricant over a peroid of about 100 miles. After filling it twice, I tried to find out where the leak is coming from.
Low and behold, there is an apparent threaded hole in the transmission side cover. It is between the 1/2 and 3/4 shift connections, exactly level. The problem, the service manual shows no such hole, and nothing in SAE threads fits it. HOWEVER, the durn thing is clear through the side cover, and it is throwing lubricant all over the place. DSC01019 is a picture of the actual transmission side cover, showing the hole in the middle, while DSCO1021 is a picture from the 65 service manual showing the side plate, no hole. HELP. :confused Any ideas?:beer
(PS, new to this, the pictures do not appear to have uploaded. E-mail me, and I will send them to you. Sorry, heck to ask for help and then not know how to get the pictures up.)

Are you talking about the spring/lever stud (for lack of a correct name)? Check out the pic below, this is the inside of the side cover. This stud should not be threaded - it is pressed into the side cover. On early side covers it was just a peg - on later it had a flat on the exterior side.

If it doesn't wiggle and is threaded, you can remove it and add some sealer when you reinstall it. If it is a press fit, remove it, smear some sealer/locktite on it and press it back in. If it wobbles you have to take care of it.
Brian

1-15-05-011.jpg

The only third hole in a Muncie side cover is exactly centered between the two shifter shaft openings, and about an inch up from a line between the two shafts, and that was only on 1969-up transmissions - it has a "nail-head" pin pressed in it that's the pivot pin for the internal shifter shaft interlock cams (1963-68 Muncies had that pin pressed in from the inside, and just had a "bump" in the outside of the casting there, not a hole). What's the casting number on the side cover?

Edit: If that pin (visible in the photo above) is missing, the interlocks are too, and there's nothing to keep it from being in two gears at once.

:beer

JohnZ said:
What's the casting number on the side cover?

Edit: If that pin (visible in the photo above) is missing, the interlocks are too, and there's nothing to keep it from being in two gears at once.

The casting number on the side cover is 3834707. The last two numbers (07) are very hard to read, may have them wrong. I have an email into 5speeds.com to see if I can get the parts. If you know what year the transmission is from this number, that might help me get the right parts.

Car is driving good, but sounds like I need to park it, sure would hate to damage it.

As an editorial note, I just wanted to say this is the most valuable and helpful board I have ever seen. In addition to the two replies here, "Mike" sent me a private message that put me on to the orginal problem, and stopped me from making a costly error (I was getting ready to put a self tapping screw in).

I have had three problems with this car that the shop manual did not cover since I got it two months ago, and have gotten timely, and accurate information on each of them. I hope I can contribute someday, as I get more familar with the car. Thanks to all.:w

rohard said:
The casting number on the side cover is 3834707. The last two numbers (07) are very hard to read, may have them wrong. I have an email into 5speeds.com to see if I can get the parts. If you know what year the transmission is from this number, that might help me get the right parts.

I think you'll find that the casting number is actually 3831707, which is the side cover used from '63-'65; 3884685 was used from '66-'68. They're interchangeable, except the 707 used shifter shafts with threaded holes in them and bolts to attach the shift levers, and the 685 used shafts with integral threaded studs and the shift levers attached with fine-thread nuts. If you change from one to the other, the shift levers have to change also, but the linkage rods remain the same.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom