Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

quick brake question

V

Vette85ABQ

Got a quick question...or two. First off, I got an 85 black coupe with a brake problem. My pedal is very soft, and when I hold it down with any significant amount of pressure it will travel to the floorboard after a few minutes. I've already bled the breaks, which made the pedal a little stiffer, but at stop lights, I can still feel the pedal slowly traveling to the floor. I've heard that it may be a brake line with a leak or a bad master cylinder....anyone had any problems with thier brakes that can throw me a bone? I do have another question, that I am hesitant to bring up for fear of looking like a tool, but....1 of my break lights is out and i cant figure out how to get to it to replace it. The only way I can see to maybe do it is to drop my exhaust system ( TPIS flowmaster system: highly recommended, excellent sound and performance), and I'd rather not do it...but I need my brake/turn signal light back! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Answers

1) Master Cylinder

2) reach under the bumper and grab the socket( Its a push a lock tang in & turn trick )

Now you need LONG THIN ARMS to do this... and it's the ONLY reasonable way to do it.

I have NEVER been able to this any other way

Oh yes... remove the small 1/4 head screws down near the base of the rear bumper BOTTOM.. this will give you a LITTLE more room... but it's a BEAR of a job!

Vig!

Master Blaster

Sounds to me like a bad master cylinder. The brake would stop the car (at first) and then slowly fade to the floor.

As far as the brake lights (rear) if you have the kind like my 84 does, the kind without screws--then you have to know someone with a really small arm. They are accessed from the license plate opening (I sh!t you not!).

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about looking like a tool. We have a guy here (I won't say who) that answers his own posts, so don't worry 'bout a ting!
--Drew:w

I hope its not me! :eek :cry :eek LOL

I'd like to ask you if you having to top up your brake fluid alot? How long has the problem occured? Was it gradual? Was it when you bought the car? Was it all of the sudden? When was the last time you changed your brake pads? (<-- If they are worn to the steel your pedal obviously is going to move further to the floor from lack of pressure in the line).

But if all checks out Master Cylinder LOL

Good Luck

Let's hear it for Cliff!

YOU have been a real font of wisdom lately. "Corvette owners don't wave...corvette people do." MY MAN! And now the skinny kid trick. Why didn't I think of that? I can't wait to see you at Sharkfest so we can hand around in Kens Air conditioned trailer and tell some lies.:D

What if you are the skinny kid?:SLAP
oops. I was just in there last weekend. I was able to get to the back of the light both under the bumper and through the license plate area.

Topless said:
What if you are the skinny kid?:SLAP
oops. I was just in there last weekend. I was able to get to the back of the light both under the bumper and through the license plate area.

Man, you must have skinny forearms! I tried every way imaginable, and some ways unimaginable, but I could not get my arms in there. :L

Drew, do you think I should have opted for a full-blown racer's rig with entertainment and a lounge and all? I can't offer you a/c, bit I can offer some protection from the sun. I should look into an E-Z Up or something, but unless I can sell some of this extra stuff I got, it ain't gonna happen. :L

_ken :w

Thanks for all the help, unfortunately I'm not skinny, looks like I'm gonna have to make friends with some skinny kids or something. Maybe I'll leave a trail of reeses pieces to my back bumper...who knows. I gotta figure something out, I'm so sick of flipping my turn signal switch up and down just to turn left.

As far as Big Red's questions, I'll give you the short version...I occasionally have to add brake fluid, but not that often and only a shot glass worth...give or take. Pads are fairly new, they got about 4000 miles on them, rotors have been machines/turned.

Thanks for all the help!

Definately the MC. I had the identical problem, replaced the MC,
(about 75.00 w/core), bled it and A-OK!!

Just keep trying

I changed my bulbs last week and all I can say is just keep trying different angles and different arms those bulbs are a PIA (pain in the ??) Just one piece of advice change them all at the same time. The bulbs all have a similar mean time between failure and as soon as the tools are put away and you ready to go for a cruise another one will pop.

I just got out a beer and relaxed under the car took about 2 hours to change 4 bulbs

Vette85ABQ said:
Maybe I'll leave a trail of reeses pieces to my back bumper...who knows.

I can tell you this, if you do that, you won't be attracting too many "skinny" kids!:L

I do not understand all the hoopla...I have changed all the bulbs on my 85 with no problem...the rears were a slice to install...
Eagle at the helm

As you can see...I am not a little skinny guy.:cool

Re: Master Blaster

Drewser said:
We have a guy here (I won't say who) that answers his own posts, so don't worry 'bout a ting!

:L :L :L

So, Bullwinkle, are you suggesting a trail of Slim Fast or rice cakes?:L

I don't know that I am that skinny, but I grew up fetching things for my dad when he dropped them in tight spaces. I guess I still can do it, for a little while. My days as a contorsionist (sp) are coming to an end-but not without a fight.

Topless said:
So, Bullwinkle, are you suggesting a trail of Slim Fast or rice cakes?:L

Ugh, I would suggest neither. I don't like the taste of either!:puke

Vette85-

It really is not necessary to move the turn signal up and down. It may look okay to the observer, but you must look real silly doing that! Doesn't your hand get tired?

I would suggest a more technically advanced way of doing the same thing.............. when it happens to me, I just hold my left hand real steady on the turn signal stalk and then move the seat adjuster up and down with my other hand. It works really well for me cause I have weakness in my left hand. My right works just fine though. Sure, from the outside I may look like an idiot, but I kind of imagine myself doing kind of a reverse method to what I see those young dudes doing with their air-lift shock kits. My way is not nearly so expensive either!

Just a thought...........................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom