Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quick muffler/exhaust tip questions

M

MusclesWit350

I want to buy some Flowmasters 40 series. What size will I need? Looks like 2.5 but im not sure. I don't have a welder, so im just clamping it on for now. Sometime in the next year or so Im gonna do true duals without cats. What offset and length will fit under there? Also what kind of exhaust tips do you guys have? Since the muffler is kinda slanted there doesn't seem to be enough room to use a normal tip, only a curved one. If you dont mind can I see pics?

Thanks!
Kyle

on a 78 the L82 pipes are 2 1/2". i believe they are the same through 82. the exit (exhaust) pipe does infact curve downward. you might want to check out several other mufflers as there are veral that are not "standard" shape and hide a bit better up under the car. i would also suggest (if you are looking for the sound, and don;t have an emissions problem in your state because of the car's age) that you consider the baffled exahust systems that are available from suppliers like corvette central. it will produce side pipe resonance and will also give you true dual exhausts (by eliminating the cat and using 2 head piles to the 2 baffled pipes to the 2 exhaust pipe. just a suggestion however.

I went to that Corvette Central place and they have a nice set of MagnaFlow mufflers that would fit perfect. I do still have emissions so I can't remove the cat or anything yet but my question What mufflers would sound better on a stock 350, Flowmaster 40s or Magnaflows? I want my Vette to sound LOUD and deep. Thanks

Flowmaters

I have an 81 with Hedman full length headers, true duals, and flowmater 40's.
I used 2.5" flowmaster 40's (off-set/off-set) on mine but I did have to go to a muffler shop for custom tailpipes. Stock and off the shelf tailpipes did not have the correct radius/bend. The tails cost about $20.00 a piece.

Good luck,
Vette333

So I bought some MagnaFlows from Covette Central and they look great! Install took me 15mins. Problem - They don't sound any different than stock.... Unless you stand right by the mufflers then its sounds cool and deep. When I sit at idle it sounds cool too but when I punch it, theres really not that much of a difference... But I also noticed that the longer I drove it around the more it would start sounding louder and louder, I only drove it for maybe 25mins because it look like rain. My question is - Is there like a brake-in time before it sounds better? Otherwise im ****ed I just paid like $200 for mufflers that sound the same as stock..... Any input????

Oh and one other question I was talking to a friend and I heard him say he just takes the cat outta his stock system and bolts in a pipe that bolts up the cat holes and when its time for emissions the cat just bolts right in place. Do they make something other then a high-flow cat that would bolt right up to the stock system?

Would a high flow cat increase that exhaust sound?

I have a high flow Cat on mine. I don’t know if it makes any difference. I don’t remember any break in time on my Mags. The ones I have you can see straight through them, no baffles at all. And are almost too loud for my taste, but that’s all up to what you want. Cut them off and run straight pipes, yikes they’ll hear you coming from a mile away. Ha, good luck, have fun!

MusclesWit350 said:
So I bought some MagnaFlows from Covette Central and they look great! Install took me 15mins. Problem - They don't sound any different than stock.... Unless you stand right by the mufflers then its sounds cool and deep. When I sit at idle it sounds cool too but when I punch it, theres really not that much of a difference... But I also noticed that the longer I drove it around the more it would start sounding louder and louder, I only drove it for maybe 25mins because it look like rain. My question is - Is there like a brake-in time before it sounds better? Otherwise im ****ed I just paid like $200 for mufflers that sound the same as stock..... Any input????

Oh and one other question I was talking to a friend and I heard him say he just takes the cat outta his stock system and bolts in a pipe that bolts up the cat holes and when its time for emissions the cat just bolts right in place. Do they make something other then a high-flow cat that would bolt right up to the stock system?

Would a high flow cat increase that exhaust sound?

A high flow cat would definitely increase your sound level.

I have magnaflows on mine and I love them. I designed my own system. Might be why I like them so much.

SAVE THE WAVE ! :w

MusclesWit350 said:
I want to buy some Flowmasters 40 series. What size will I need? Looks like 2.5 but im not sure. I don't have a welder, so im just clamping it on for now. Sometime in the next year or so Im gonna do true duals without cats. What offset and length will fit under there? Also what kind of exhaust tips do you guys have? Since the muffler is kinda slanted there doesn't seem to be enough room to use a normal tip, only a curved one. If you dont mind can I see pics?

Thanks!
Kyle

I went with Flowmaster 40'3 offset in/center out 2.5". I did have them welded at a custom exhaust shop. www.louscustomexhaust.com The mufflers sit level front to back and side to side. I think that they look nice. I'll put up a better picture later. http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81981

flowmaster 40's 2.5 center inlet 2.5 center outlet--13" long

IMG_0942.jpg

mr mctavish said:
flowmaster 40's 2.5 center inlet 2.5 center outlet--13" long

IMG_0942.jpg

Ya thanks dude! That looks great! Im gonna return these POS magnaflows cause they seem to have made my vette not as loud and get some Flowmasters! Where did you pick urs up at?

I would like to keep the stock look so I dont wanna have them hanging down too much, kinda like pushed up as much as I can. I would like to use the stock hanger also. My Magnaflows fit right up in there, will the flowmasters 13inch do the same with a out-set in center out? Is there a really big sound difference from stock set up to flowmasters 40s? Thanks

MusclesWit350 said:
I would like to keep the stock look so I dont wanna have them hanging down too much, kinda like pushed up as much as I can. I would like to use the stock hanger also. My Magnaflows fit right up in there, will the flowmasters 13inch do the same with a out-set in center out? Is there a really big sound difference from stock set up to flowmasters 40s? Thanks

It will sound like a totally different car.

brusso said:
It will sound like a totally different car.

YES!!! Thats what im talking about lol.... MagnaFlows suck!

Muscles.... I have Delta 50's on mine and they tuck up in the original holes so perfect you think they are stock; until.................. you fire it up. The outlet's bend exactly like the OEM mufflers.

nut :D

#1 I don't like the 40's , if i had to do it all over again. maybe the 50's series. or another brand.they 've got a loud raspy sound, not deep mellow.
I personaly don't like the attention they make.

mr mctavish said:
#1 I don't like the 40's , if i had to do it all over again. maybe the 50's series. or another brand.they 've got a loud raspy sound, not deep mellow.
I personaly don't like the attention they make.

I'll trade you my Magnaflows for them lol....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom