Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

R12 refrigerant, replacement

Wayne robson

Corvette
sold my last corvette.
Hi thought i would let other vette owners know about R12 replacement, for your air condition, summers just around the corner, how many of you have ac , and because of all sorts of reasons it does not work, one of the main reasons is over time your freon leaks and somehow never get round to getting it serviced. well there now is a solution , its called Hc, refrigerant, its safe to use , and very easy to do your self,do not require a permit, oil does not require changing, most times dont have to renew drier,also replaces 134a,and is alot cheaper, aswell,example my wife has a mercedes 280SL, it has factory ac, but has not worked for 7 or 8 years but the compressor was free not seized, so approx a year ago purchased some Johnsens freeze 12 replacement, it also comes with sealer, and oil, i charged the car,did not have to do any thing else and it works marvelous, i could not believe it so i did the cor vette, and the same for it, its incredable,.ill give you two sites to check it out on ebay the best i think is from texas, itm no 280082553082, he has sold thousands and look at his feedback, a nother not as good but has more information is itm 110107456444 think hes back east, regards wayne australia.

Hi thought i would let other vette owners know about R12 replacement, for your air condition, summers just around the corner, how many of you have ac , and because of all sorts of reasons it does not work, one of the main reasons is over time your freon leaks and somehow never get round to getting it serviced. well there now is a solution , its called Hc, refrigerant, its safe to use , and very easy to do your self,do not require a permit, oil does not require changing, most times dont have to renew drier,also replaces 134a,and is alot cheaper, aswell,example my wife has a mercedes 280SL, it has factory ac, but has not worked for 7 or 8 years but the compressor was free not seized, so approx a year ago purchased some Johnsens freeze 12 replacement, it also comes with sealer, and oil, i charged the car,did not have to do any thing else and it works marvelous, i could not believe it so i did the cor vette, and the same for it, its incredable,.ill give you two sites to check it out on ebay the best i think is from texas, itm no 280082553082, he has sold thousands and look at his feedback, a nother not as good but has more information is itm 110107456444 think hes back east, regards wayne australia.
Yeah, Johnsens Freeze12 has been out now about 9 years,I buy it by the case at my supplier!!I've never had any problems with it!! It works best at slower speeds and stop and go traffic with a new Drier and Variable orifice tube!!:upthumbs

Ahhh, springtime and the a/c threads :D

Why not just go with 134a instead of Freeze 12? Freeze 12 is mostly 134a to start with. It is a blend of 20% HCFC-142b and 80% HFC-134a.

tom...

freeze 12

Ahhh, springtime and the a/c threads :D

Why not just go with 134a instead of Freeze 12? Freeze 12 is mostly 134a to start with. It is a blend of 20% HCFC-142b and 80% HFC-134a.

tom...
Hi Tom sorry i dont know anything about its contents, on the Johnsens Freeze 12, it says contents trade secret, and im not a expert on AC, but i know it works greatfor me and over 5000 on his feedback. what i do know is it readily mixes with any existing freon in present system and you dont have to evacuate the old r12,and oil does not require changing, it is non flammable and has knowCFCs. my wifes 280SL pagoda, it was not even a bit cold before i used it , and i only required two 12oz cans and one 4oz can of oil, on the vette it was half cold ,and only require 1 12oz can no oil, also i did not evan have to change the original fittings, the new ones are red and blue i used the old stile r12 hose slide clamp stile, so i will never loose points if judged, regards wayne.

Info on Freeze 12

Hi Tom sorry i dont know anything about its contents, on the Johnsens Freeze 12, it says contents trade secret, and im not a expert on AC, but i know it works greatfor me and over 5000 on his feedback. what i do know is it readily mixes with any existing freon in present system and you dont have to evacuate the old r12,and oil does not require changing, it is non flammable and has knowCFCs. my wifes 280SL pagoda, it was not even a bit cold before i used it , and i only required two 12oz cans and one 4oz can of oil, on the vette it was half cold ,and only require 1 12oz can no oil, also i did not evan have to change the original fittings, the new ones are red and blue i used the old stile r12 hose slide clamp stile, so i will never loose points if judged, regards wayne.

Wayne, where do you get this freeze 12, I had my 80 charged last year and it cost me $$$$$$$$$ I think it may need a charge this year and I want to save some $$$$

I am only bringing this up because there are safety concerns when people use these self recharging kits and don’t understand the system there working on.
When using these 12oz cans of refrigerant R-12 or R-134a you should understand a few basic principles about refrigeration and to know the cars manufactures limits as far as pressures are concerned and the correct tools to do the job safely.

• If you don’t have one already purchase a Shop Manual that the service technicians use at the dealerships for the model of car your working on.
  • Understand the refrigeration section in Shop Manual and follow the pressure limits as per manufactures specifications.
  • A good quality manifold recharge gauge set, there is a difference between gauges and pressure readings between R-12 and R-134a gauges. The GOOD gauge sets have two gauges suction and discharge or (high side). The GOOD quality sets also have a built in sight glass for viewing liquid movement for air bubbles that may be in the system.
  • And Safety Glasses are mandatory always, remember you only have two!
Because these simple recharge kits deliver refrigerant through the suction side of the system and the compressors in these systems develop VERY high pressures on the discharge (high side) along with VERY hot gases you should really understand what’s going on inside the system, and without the correct tools (a gauge set) how does one know when enough is enough?

Brian

hi joe

Wayne, where do you get this freeze 12, I had my 80 charged last year and it cost me $$$$$$$$$ I think it may need a charge this year and I want to save some $$$$
hi just go to my original first story it has the ebay numbers to go to, when you look at the freeze 12, click on his other items for sale, and the other site he has more imformation on its history etc, regards.

Is the Freeze 12 the same as FR-12? I had my system inspected and tested for leaks, evacuated, and re-filled with FR-12, and it works like a champ. I also had it replaced on my 1993 F150 XLT. My wife uses the truck daily, and she says that it works fine (coming from her, that means works really good, for if it did not, she would have complained about it long time ago...;LOL )

I had this done for about $72 dollars (plus tax) around a year ago on the Vette and the end of October last year for the truck. The air conditioner chills the Vette cabin pretty quickly too. Not bad for that kind of performance on a relatively-low humidity conditions in which exists in the high desert. A relatively-high humidity environment is easier on a system, for it is easier to remove moisture and therefore lower the temperature of the air.

Hi Tom sorry i dont know anything about its contents, on the Johnsens Freeze 12, it says contents trade secret, and im not a expert on AC, but i know it works greatfor me and over 5000 on his feedback. what i do know is it readily mixes with any existing freon in present system and you dont have to evacuate the old r12,and oil does not require changing, it is non flammable and has knowCFCs.
The blend info on Freeze 12 is from the EPA web site. As far as mixing refrigerants, you can mix anything you want, but in most all cases it is illegal.

Most A/C shops have equipment for only 134a and R12. Those are the two factory standards. They must have separate equipment for EVERY they of refrigerants that they work with. So you cannot take your car into a professional A/C shop. They will test it before they evacuate the system to determine what is in there. When they find a mix they will refuse service. They won't have the equipment, storage tank, to handle the mix and it is illegal to vent any refrigerant to the air. So make sure that you have the equipment to do it yourself.

Also about the oil. R12 and 134a uses two totally different oils that are not compatible. Since Freeze 12 is 80% 134a then its oil is not compatible with R12. But usually the R12 oil will settle into the low points in the condenser and evaporator and stay out of the way. But this will also reduce the volume of the condenser and evaporator and as such the overall system.

tom...

AC

The blend info on Freeze 12 is from the EPA web site. As far as mixing refrigerants, you can mix anything you want, but in most all cases it is illegal.

Most A/C shops have equipment for only 134a and R12. Those are the two factory standards. They must have separate equipment for EVERY they of refrigerants that they work with. So you cannot take your car into a professional A/C shop. They will test it before they evacuate the system to determine what is in there. When they find a mix they will refuse service. They won't have the equipment, storage tank, to handle the mix and it is illegal to vent any refrigerant to the air. So make sure that you have the equipment to do it yourself.

Also about the oil. R12 and 134a uses two totally different oils that are not compatible. Since Freeze 12 is 80% 134a then its oil is not compatible with R12. But usually the R12 oil will settle into the low points in the condenser and evaporator and stay out of the way. But this will also reduce the volume of the condenser and evaporator and as such the overall system.

tom...
Dear Tom , thanks for all that information, regards .

Because these simple recharge kits deliver refrigerant through the suction side of the system and the compressors in these systems develop VERY high pressures on the discharge (high side) along with VERY hot gases you should really understand what’s going on inside the system, and without the correct tools (a gauge set) how does one know when enough is enough?

Brian
Very,Very, Good point!!!! A Rupturing Hose or line SPRAYING Any Refrigerant to the Face can Freeze your Eye Balls, "Instantaneously"!!!!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom