Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Core Support Repair

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
There is another very short post somewhere about this that I tried to get responses on, but I decided to post a new one hoping to get more results and ideas.
Anybody have any ideas about repairing a radiator core support. I read that they make kits for this, but I cant find them. I found them for vettes up to 67, but none after. The last post was old, and it said try Chicago Corvette and IM Corvette - I couldnt find info on these places...maybe they dont have websites???
Does anybody have a link that would help me?

Derrick

I don't have any links to help ya. I can only say that my mechanic fabricated a new core support for my car a few years back. But then again, he's an ace at custom fabrication work, so.... ;shrug
I would think that most reliable body shops could do it as well...

I have never seen a kit for a fix. I replaced the one in my 71, but after a lot of trouble. I purchased one from a well known vette parts dealer , installed it but my rad would not fit. I found that the rad support tabs were welded in about 1 inch to the left from the original. This was an offical GM replacement part. It took a lot to explain the problem long distance. I finally convenced them to get out a radiator and a core support and measure them. Out of the 4 they had in stock only one was made correctly. It is in my car now. Check it before you install.

I had one that started to rust from the inside out. I cleaned it up as good as possible, then inserted some scrap threaded rods into the hollow spaces, then poured in glass resin. Any places that ozed were sanded and painted. It is now very strong and won't rust on the inside any more. All in all, I think it came out very good. Probably weighs about 10 lbs more, but so what. Cost was about $20 and 4-5 hrs of work.

Coffman Corvette (do a Google) makes them. I believe they make all of them. For many years, they were in Ohio. I "think" that they might have moved their operation to Florida.

They make convertible top bows and all other kinds of neat stuff. Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom