Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Removal

7t4Vette

Anybody have any tips or tricks for removing the radiator from my 74? I would really like to avoid removing the hood, if at all possible.

Not sure how different your 74 is to my 80, buy removing the radiator was not very difficult and certainly was no need to remove hood. It has been awhile since removal, but I removed fan and fan clutch, hoses and radiator support. Radiator came out fairly easy. Make sure you install radiator seals when you replace it. They sure do help in cooling. I used pipe wrap from Home Depot as my seals for about $5.00.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I had it loose last night, but, it still wouldn't come out. Turns out it was stuck to the seals. I pulled it towards the engine and the seals turned loose. Now I have to get it fixed and buy a new shroud. :r

Removing the hood

I found removing the hood helps alot. It's not very difficult at all to remove the hood on a C3 ( does take two people ) but only about 10 minutes and it's off. This way you can do lots of clean up work in the frontal area and behind the front bumper and such.

Take your time and have patiance!

Fan shroud

I just recently pulled my rad. and replaced my fan shroud. I was in for a shock when I called to order the shroud. GM has stopped producing them. In my catalog they were listed at $129.00, but when I called to order the price was $375.00. I called around and found one for $150.00. I bought mine at Bair's. Phone number is 1-800-421-9644. Good Luck. I also finished a complete suspension overhaul. If you are thinking of doing that and you have any questions, E-mail me.:W:

Re: Fan shroud

74vette said:
I just recently pulled my rad. and replaced my fan shroud. I was in for a shock when I called to order the shroud. GM has stopped producing them. In my catalog they were listed at $129.00, but when I called to order the price was $375.00. I called around and found one for $150.00. I bought mine at Bair's. Phone number is 1-800-421-9644. Good Luck. I also finished a complete suspension overhaul. If you are thinking of doing that and you have any questions, E-mail me.:W:

Thanks for the reply! I too was a bit shocked at the current price. I did find a "functional equivalent" at Zip for $215.00. It and a new set off seals are on the way. It looks like a complete front suspension rebuild is in my future, but, I'm going to put that off for a while.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom