Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio LOC

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
Ok what's the trick here, My friend has a 1997 C5 which the battery had been out for about 2 weeks.

I replaced the battery on it, and the radio went into LOC. He tried NUMEROUS times to reset the radio by polling the interior code (holding down the 2 & 3 keys for the first part of the code, then the AM/FM button for the next) and loading the code back in... but to no avail.

Since the car is a salvage the dealer won't unlock it without a $75.00 charge.

$75.00 just to push buttons seems a bit extreme.

Anyone know the factory codes

Thanks
Mike 88 Convertible
vigman@earthlink.net

Backup code

Hi there,
You are simply retrieving the factory backup code, not the actual unlock code.
With the six digit number, you call GM, and they get the backup code, which you enter into the radio.
You local parts department should be able to call for you, and get the number, it takes 5 mins.
Best to you, c4c5

This Radio LOC just happened with me, I had put up the 99 C-5 Convertible for the winter, it was 45 degrees today so I thought I would take the cover off and start it up and move it outside to run a few minutes (been covered since the end of Nov). Now the Radio says LOC (and the battery charger is on it to get it to start), I remember seeing a trickle charger somewhere to plug it in for the season to maintain the memory etc. I am now convinced I need that for next season. I will see if the dealer is willing to help me out as I am not the origional owner of the car so I have no idea what the code is.

Cheers
Beer

factory default 0095 hold 2,3 down 8 sec = 082 then hold am/fm down 8 sec
= 085 punch in 095 should clear loc goes to hash marks radio works let me
know worked for me /r/

Here is a tip I got some time ago fromone of the forums.

The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish.

Prerequisites:
The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode.

Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

Procedure:
01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds
03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.
04. Press the AM/FM button
05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05
07. Call 1 800 537 5140
08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”
09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (star)
10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)
11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice
12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11
14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC

Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.

I hope this works for you.

:D Yep That worked (the rwlc5 method)!

Thanks a bunch!

I got it started and moved it outside what I find odd is that everything still has its memory; the stations remembered the presets, the seats retained their memory, and the key FOB's for driver 1 and driver 2 do not need reprograming.

Thanks for the help, saved me a trip to the dealer!
Here's the summer ride next to the winter ride :beer

1wintersummer.JPG

Beer

When I put mine away, I disconnected the battery. When I've done this in the past to work on the car, the radio LOC didn't happen. I've even swapped radios between C5's (twice) using this method and was successful.

Won't disconnecting the battery when storing take care of this?

Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom