Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

RADIO PROBLEM

• Thread starter Thread starter RICKEY
  • Start date Start date
R

RICKEY

I HAVE A 1976 (ORIGNAL AM/FM RADIO ). I AM GETTING POWER TO IT BUT , NOTHING IS COMING OUT ?EVERTHING SEEMS TO BE INTAC.:confused DOES IT HAVE A AMPLIFIER? IF SO WHERE WOULD IN BE LOCATED. OR WOULD IT BE THE ANTENNA ?:confused THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Welcome (again), Rickey. (I replied in your tachometer post.)

Your radio doesn't have a separate amplifier. It's an all in one unit, as are most OEM radios, new or old.
When you turn up the volume (all the way?) and dial through the stations, do you hear anything at all? Or is it complete silence?

Just getting static would likely indicate a bad connection somewhere between the tuner and the antenna itself. Do you have a power antenna?

If you get dead silence at full volume, I'm guessing that either your radio is shot (internal amplifier circuitry could be blown) or possibly your wiring harness is having problems. Does anything change if you play with the balance/fader (left / right / front / rear)? Do you get anything at all? It's highly unlikely that all 4 speakers are shot.

Radio Problem

Evolution 1980, Thanks for your reply.I here nothing at all just silence.I do not have a power antenna. On the speakers , nothing.So I think you are right, the radio is shot. I'll try to find someone to repair the orginal. Thanks for your help.

I'll try to find someone to repair the orginal.
Just don't tell 'em "it's from my Corvette." Your quoted repair price will be doubled! :L

FullVetteClean002.jpg

Stereo left and right channel output. It's probably behind the passenger's dash pad above the heater/defroster box.

417f_1.jpg

single unit for monaural.

:)

OK, 76 didn't come out STOCK with 4 speakers, so you may have both speakers bad especially if they are original. It could be the channel out put gone bad. If you don't need a stock look, go buy a new radio and replace the speakers also, make sure the new radio will fit without cutting the bezel, or buy the radio that comes with the bezel already cut.

Radio Problem

Thanks for your help. I will double check the speakers and radio. so thank you again LVMYVT76 AND EVOLUTION 1980.

Stereo left and right channel output. It's probably behind the passenger's dash pad above the heater/defroster box.
<snip>
single unit for monaural.
<snip>
:)
No shiat? The radio actually did have what is essentially a separate component/discreet amplifier??? Wow... Well, that's cool because replacing those electrical parts shouldn't be (?) that big of a job for an electronics person.

(And I was just guessing/assuming that they had 4 speakers, but thought that possibly the earlier years may have only had fronts, and then prior to that, just the single speaker.)

You can buy a new radio that has mp3 hook up, if you are interested. I still don't know how to install the music on them, yet. $139.00 on ebay.

Radio Problem

Thanks LVMYVT76, I'll check it out.:cool

Hey Man, I strongly suggest you check out your speakers first. I spent about $500.00 having my original radio gone through, turned it on and.....nothing. Turned out both dash speakers were shot. My radio is AM/FM no stereo.

Radio Problem

Thanks Don, I will. You know that they say .check the obvious things first. Iordered a chiltons to get started. thanks for your help.:)

I have had the doctor repair4 or 5 radios for me . No problems with his work Steve :beer

Radio Problem

Willis 76, Thank for the site.I will let you know.:cool

Radio Problem

Well guys, Evolution 1980,Mike,Lvmyvt76,Don Mason,Willis 76,Bradfordsvette,thank you very much for all your help. It was the speakers .Put new ones in and that fixed it.:D :)

Well guys, Evolution 1980,Mike,Lvmyvt76,Don Mason,Willis 76,Bradfordsvette,thank you very much for all your help. It was the speakers .Put new ones in and that fixed it.:D :)
Awesome! That was probably the easiest and cheapest fix. Sometimes we simply overthink a problem. :)

Don Mason for the win! :thumb :beer

Dr Dons Radio Repair

I agree about sending it to Dr. Dons. Great service, fast turnaroung, and about half as much as all others want.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom