Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rally Wheel Derby Caps

B

Big Fish

Just got a used set of rally wheels for my basket case 75. The wheels look great, but the derby caps fit loose enough to cause some concern. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem? They are original equipment wheels and caps.

I'm not sure how you could fix that since they are held on by just the three little extrusions on the wheel. One alternative that may reduce the worry is to get a set of the rally wheel center cap locks. They essentially attach the caps to the wheels with a system of wires that are bolted on with the lugs I believe.

I suppose you could hammer out the three bumps in the wheel from the back with a long chisel just to make them stick out a little farther. I'd be worried about screwing up the wheel though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

What about rtv?

I'm not sure if rtv is the correct word for the product I mean. It is like a gasket sealer that doesn't harden completly (?)...place a little bit on the inside of the cap and install on the wheel.

Wouldn't that help hold it in?
Silver

Gasket sealer

I just bought a set of center caps for my vette. I'm thinking of using some type of non-hardening sealant to help hold them in. I think I saw a post from another member in some other thread about this.

I must be lucky I guess. Mine go on really nice and tight. I wonder if it's a repro issue. Do you know if yours are originals, same for the wheels to?

I'm grasping at straws now:eyerole.

- Eric

The trick is to get some of that windshield adhesive that comes in the roll. It is black and about 3/8" thick. It is very sticky and can be molded and mashed into the clips on the caps to make them fit better and not make any noise.

Most autoparts stores carry this stuff. You have to buy a whole long roll, but you can find other uses for it. It is great for taking rattles out of interior panels and making small chrome trim fit tighter.

Good luck!

Great tip!

I'll definitely file that one away for future reference!
Sil

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom