Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ramps & Garage

djones14

Corvette
1997 silver coupe
Has anyone found any good ramps for working on your car ??? I'm bored and trying to spend money while the baby is in the hospital waiting on her new Tranny to arrive from Lansing Mich. . Transmission slip codes kept coming back so I took it to best vette dealer around and the diff between rebuilding it and getting a 12 month 12000 mile warranty and a new one 5 years 50000 miles was only about $300. No brainer to me.

Also looking for exhaust ?? Damn there all high priced right now I'm leaning towards a B&B. I dont want it to loud.

Also what about garage flooring????Danny

Welcome to the :CAC

For the ramps, I got by, making my own out of 2x12's cutting them to length so the nose did not hit and nailed 6 of them together - as I get older (read: thicker) I am considering adding another board or two - I have had those ramps in service since the fall of 1989 :eek I love them!!!!

As far as exhaust, this one sounds AWESOME!!! You can carry on a conversation without problem yet it barks when you call on it :cool

Check it out>>
C2.jpg

Hey Danny,

Welcome to the CAC.

I use rhino ramps for the front or the rear. I have the regular ones, but I understand there are some that are extra wide that work even better. I got mine at Pep Boys for about $30 a few years ago.

It helps to place a board in front of them to lift the front a little and prevent air dam scraping.

I have also seen sites with photos of how to make the do-it-yourself boards like *89x2* described.

For garage floors... check out the threads in the Garage Depot section of the forums. There are some GREAT ideas and advice about garage floors.

Tammy

If you don't mind telling, how much did that new tranny cost? Is it a 6spd or auto?

Welcome! I'll try to answer your questions.

Ramps - As others have mentioned, Rhino Ramps are the way to go (be sure to get the heavier duty black ones). I bought a pair last weekend at Wal-Mart for $29.97.

Exhaust - "Loudness" is very subjective. Your best bet is to listen to installed systems on other cars. Also bear in mind that the exhaust note/volume will vary depending on other engine modifications and/or whether an X-pipe is used. IMO (for a C5, which is what I see you have), B&B and Magnaflow have the best fit/finish, and Corsa is the most efficient (same as a straight pipe).

Flooring - I'm actually looking into this myself. Race Deck has been recommended to me and looks very good (though expensive). Google for "garage flooring" and you'll find many more options.

I think Rhino ramps are the most common ramps that are used here by members. You can sometimes even catch them for $20 at Pep Boys.

As for exhaust, you could also consider the Z06 systems that many of their owners swap out. It has a nice throaty sound, it'll never rust and it's cheaper than the aftermarket systems.

Rhino ramps seem to be the ramps of choice. I don't have ramps but if I were to get them, it would be the Rhinos based on forum. I put my car up on jack stands. In any case, putiing 2x8s under the tires helps both when using ramps or stands. On the exhaust, Z06 Ti's work well but aren't as loud as most aftermarkets - sound is a real subjective thing anyway - but they do seem to cost less and won't have any resonance. I have UCoatIt on my garage and am very happy with it so far (only on for 4 months and the floor was "virgin").

You otta patten that design. Great job I'm gonna print it out and make it myself.

Thanks!

avacorvette said:
You otta patten that design. Great job I'm gonna print it out and make it myself.

Thanks!
Hi avacorvette -

I am with you - Those are well thought out ramps.

Mike - I like the idea of pinning them into the floor -

I had the slipping issue with my rhino ramps - I tied a length of rope to the ends of the ramps and I just lay that out and drive onto the rope and up the ramps - the rear contact patches hold onto the rope to keep it from slipping.

You could sell a ton of your ramps if your could make them out of the plastic like Rhinos....:beer

best regards-

mqqn

This design is not UL approved. Nor has it been tested by the AMA, OSHA, FBI, MTV, or Muppet Labs. Also, NBC News did not shoot toy rockets at the ramps to see if they would burst into flames.
:L

Cool ramps, and a sense of humor too.

Ramps

Just picked up my rhino ramps at Aid Auto here in N.Y.. I got the regular size, they were on sale for $24.99. I will have to put a 2x6 in front so nothing hits. But that is still better then having to jack up the car when i what to get under it. If it were for this forum i would not have know about rhino ramps .THANKS.

like those ramps,mike don't look like they were all that expensive either!!!bill:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom