Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rare 1973 option

Very true. But when one of those YJ8 PEP Corvettes show up, the wheels that came on the Corvettte in preproduction is factory in my book.

1973YJ8 has them on his Corvette and sent pic's to the NCRS and no replies. His wheels are dated Oct 1972.He's the original owner. There's a real YJ8 Corvette for you.
But the car was not delivered from the factory with the rims on it. Thus, it's not a factory produced car.

Look at it this way...If you bought a C6 vert and then buy an LS7 over the counter to put in it, you can't say that you have a factory C6 vert that shipped with an LS7. If I'm understanding your rationale correctly, you are trying to state otherwise.

He may have an OEM set of YJ8's. He may have a 1973 Corvette. But what he doesn't have is a 1973 Corvette delivered with YJ8's from the factory. And if I'm not mistaken, that's what NCRS cares about (or doesn't care about in this case.)

I HAVE A SET OF THE WHEELS, THE METAL IS DARKER THAN THE KELSEY HAYES WHEELS, THE PART NUMBER IS CAST ON THE REVERSE SIDE, THE LETTERS XM ARE ON THE REVERSE SIDE AND THE DATES OF MANUFACTURE ARE CAST ON THE REVERSE SIDE. THE LUG NUTS HAVE THE BLACK INSERTS. EACH OF MY 4 WHEELS WAS MANUFACTURED IN OCTOBER 1972, EACH ON A DIFFERENT DATE. FOR DECADES I TOLD PEOPLE I HAD THEM SHOWED THEM PHOTOS NOBODY CARED. WHY NOW ARE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THEM. THE NCRS PEOPLE DO NOT SEEM TO CARE THAT I HAVE THEM AND NEITHER DID THE CORVETTE MUSEUM.
My understanding is that this is a Corvette that came with the YJ8's. What the NCRS does is up to them. NCRS doesn't know everything......but they are very close and very good.:beerGeorge

corvette front center grill

The 1973 Corvette middle grill is a factory item. GM part # 331834, Group 1.266.

But what he doesn't have is a 1973 Corvette delivered with YJ8's from the factory. And if I'm not mistaken, that's what NCRS cares about (or doesn't care about in this case.)

Correct. The judging manual is very specific in this case, the car must be accompanied with PROOF that it was delivered with YJ8s from the factory.

An original set of these wheels is of general interest nonetheless!

I'm still surprised that neither Ed nor Marvin got back with a thank you.

YJ8's

Correct. The judging manual is very specific in this case, the car must be accompanied with PROOF that it was delivered with YJ8s from the factory.

An original set of these wheels is of general interest nonetheless!

I'm still surprised that neither Ed nor Marvin got back with a thank you.

Double Correct.

Evolution, Thanks for the last post. I misunderstood, and thought they were an original set from the factory. How I missed that one.:confused Thanks.:beerGeorge

They are the two fellows. I mailed them photos, then never heard from them.

Vettehead Mikey, I sent photos to Marvin and Ed in January 2007.

I got a note back from Ed, he mentioned a discussion the two of you had on the phone some time back and about co-authoring a follow up article for the Corvette Restorer.

Is this finally settled now?From what I've read it's pretty cut and dried.;shrugWait a minute what if they were shipped in the trunk?I really don't want to re-read the whole thread but was it ever documenented on the window sticker?If not no way, end of story.I do love this stuff.

I got a note back from Ed, he mentioned a discussion the two of you had on the phone some time back and about co-authoring a follow up article for the Corvette Restorer.

I have owned my set of four yj8 wheels for three decades. I do not think any 1973 Corvettes have the wheels. Zora's 1974 has three. I have seen photos of a 73 sold at auction with yj8's, the center caps were chrome and the lug nuts did not have black center disc's. I have also seen photos of a "documented" 73 out side the U.S. with nicely polished yj8's but not the yj8's made by American Racing. I have seen a dealer state that a 73 in a neighboring state had original yj8's but they looked more like Kelsey Hayes yj8's than American Racing yj8's.

Being lucky enough to get the wheels, I am looking for recognition for being their custodian for 30 years. I would like them to be in an article. They do have 329381, XM and dates of manufacture in October 1972 cast in the reverse side. They were purchased in the parts department of a Chevrolet dealer. As I previously mentioned, I have one of the original shipping boxes. It shows shipped from American Racing to GM and the part number.

Somewhere in all of these posts, I thought somebody asked if anybody ever saw one of these wheels. The answer is yes. I own a set. I think they are very rare and valuable. They did not come on the car from the factory.

Zora must have thought they were special. If not his car would have the steel rally wheels.

I remember tossing my Lug Nuts in the trash since the black center disks were pealing and they had been damaged by impact guns. The reason I remember this is the replacements cost a bundle! (to a teenager anyway).

Does this mean I might have seen them?

I remember tossing my Lug Nuts in the trash since the black center disks were pealing and they had been damaged by impact guns. The reason I remember this is the replacements cost a bundle! (to a teenager anyway).

Does this mean I might have seen them?

I am not sure. I am not a paint expert. The Black center disc's seem to be coated more than painted. A metal finisher would be able to examine them and comment. In all of the years, the black finish has never pealed. If you saw the type of finish on my wheels you would understand. I was in Newport Beach Ca last month. Prior to the trip, I tried contacting American Racing about the wheels. I believe they are in Torrence Ca Near Newport Beach. Nobody seemed interested in the wheels at American Racing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom