Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rattling roof

A

aussie

does any one else have the same problem and if so how can it be stopped

1. Are the bolts tight? (sorry. had to ask that one)
2. What's the condition of your weather strip?
3. Is it in roof panel original?
4. Is this a recent occurence?
5. Has the car ever been in an accident or had bad stress applied to the body?

Just looking for some info.

Spiderman :w

the bolts are tight but the panel is not origonal.the weather seals are in ok condition

I have the exact same problem

And I have new GM weatherstripping, Original Roof, and yes the bolt are tight as far as they go.

Lol Love to get this one figured out as well.

It may actually be the roof rattling but also check the rear hatch. If two bolts holding the glass to the hinge becomes loose its easy to mistake the sound to be comung from the rear portion of the roof.

There's a bolt plate that attaches to the windshield header with two screws; check to see that this is also tight.
When tightening the roof panel, I suggest snugging up the two rear screws first, to the Targa bar. Then tighten the two to the windshield header. That pulls the roof panel rearward up against the targa bar, and then down against the windshield header.

My '89 has never rattled except when I first drove it home. I tightened everything up then, and the rattles all went away.
Standard disclaimers, YMMV, etc.
- R

I had a problem with the brackets on the top getting loose... basically you would tighten the 4 main bolts on the top, but the brackets holding them to the top weren't tight, so it was actually loose, causing a rattle.... Try tightening all four brackets on the top while it is off... there are two bolts per bracket, and your top wrench should work to tighten those bolts as well (it may not work on the rear bolts though)

I had the same problem as vettlt193, simple fix to tighten the mounting plates on the roof, car handles better too after tightening everything up.

I've seen these rubber strips that were OEM on '92's?-to '96 that are sold by several of the larger aftermarket companies to retro-fit the older C4's or as a replacement in the newer ones. ($10-15 I think)

Supposed to keep the rattlin' to a minimum!:)

This may help if tightening the bolts doesn't completely eliminate that annoying racket!

I just bought a new roof panel from Generation Ropof Panels, and here is what the guy said about mounting a new panel. (said if you don't do it this way, it will rattle)

Make sure front locator pins are not tight. (The front bolt holes move until the locator pin is tightened)

Mount the top and tighten the rear bolts.

Start the front bolts, but do not tighten all the way.

Using needle nose pliers, snug up each locator pin.

Remove top and tighten the locator pin. Now the front bolt holes will not move and will not need adjustment when the top is removed and replaced.

FWIW

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom