Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ready to buy Rims and Tires. What's the right combo for 17 x 8 Rims?

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
New Rims and Tires - Will 245/50/17 fit all around on a 1971 Convertible?

I've tried the search engine here but I don't get any good hits for tire size questions.

I just replaced the front suspension and I'm going to replace the rear spring in the next two weeks.
My 71 came with the orignal Ralleye Wheels 15x8 and bias ply tires. I need to change the tires for sure and would like to change the rims.

Right now for rims it's a toss up between the AR Torque Thrust 2's in chrome and the new Cragar SS

For rims I'd like to go with 17x8 with Zero Offset. With the two brand above fit and clear the calipers?

Second, I need to find the right size tires. I've got F70/15's. I think these are a little shorter than 27inches and would normally be replaced with 215/70 R15's.

With the 17 inch rims I've heard that 245/45 R 17's are the way to go but they seem a little short. Does anyone know the size that will fit well, with the right hight and no chance of rubbing on the 17's?

Thanks in advance.

Whiplash

a 255/50/17 is a good size for our cars there 27 inchs tall.thats what ill be going with in the fronts and a 275/50/17 in the rear or wider if i can find one.

You should be o.k with zero offset. Are the Cragar 17" non-unilug? Another company that makes torque thrust style wheels at a great price is Eagle Alloy. There prices are pretty aggressive. I run with factory wheels so I can't say anything specific about Eagle other than what I've read.

80convertible said:
You should be o.k with zero offset. Are the Cragar 17" non-unilug? Another company that makes torque thrust style wheels at a great price is Eagle Alloy. There prices are pretty aggressive. I run with factory wheels so I can't say anything specific about Eagle other than what I've read.

I'm not sure what non-unilug means. If you can explain it will help me find out. I really wasn't too hot on Cragar's for a Vette at first but their new updated SS in Chrome really looked good in the book and were a lot cheaper than the Chrome Torque Thrusts. Also I can get them faster.

I'll check out Eagle. The one thing I'm worried about is caliper clearance. I know the TTII will work but have to research the Cragar and now the Eagle.

With tire sizes I was told the early 70's vettes didn't have as much wheeel well room at later 70's. I'm trying to find out the cut off date and size tollerence differences before I try to stuff too big a tire in the well.

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Also, where is the best place to buy these?

Thanks,

Whiplash

sixty9vette said:
Here's a link to a Nitto tire that I had on an '81 with Edelbrock 409 17' rims.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?step=details&source=size&productType=TIRE&index=1&productCodeIndex=40154

You can do a search on this tire size and bring up all the brands they carry.

Here's a link to a fellow C3'er with the Edelbrock 409 rims.

http://www.1bad69.vettepics.com/photo.html

WOW! I've never seen the Edelbrock 409's. I'm sold. I wanted something just a little different from everyone else with TTII's and these are the ticket for sure. Thank you very much.

Now I just need to figure out the best tire size for the 17's. I want to have the same size all the way around and I do not have offset trailing arms. The spec sheet says the 16" will fit a Corvette so I assume the 17" will fit as well.

I'll check out the Nitto's next. I'm looking for a relatively flat side wall with no chance of rub but tall enough to match the stock tire height. (I don't want too much just everything :))

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,

Whiplash

You won't have the selection of tires in 16" that you'll find in 17". I originally was going with 16", but ran into that problem when looking for 27" diameter tires in 16's. The Nitto's are a great tire, and the sidewalls don't bulge out like the 15" tires. You'll actually gain a little more clearance with the 17's. Another rim that looks pretty cool is the new Cragar 230 s/s (check the available backspacing though, 'cause they may require spacers - which you don't want to use). I think they're more expensive than the 409's though. Stay away from the TT II's!! They are not manufactured very well and are prone to runout (wobble-not true). The finish also kinda sucks, especially along the trailing edges of the spokes. I ordered a set of them, and the dealer went through 17 TTII's to try and find 4 that were tolerable. After a couple months of this drill we finally gave up and they took them back and ordered the Edelbrocks for me.

When you look for tires, look at Kumho Ecsta MX's. That is what I have on my 1970 in 245/45/17 fronts and 275/40/18 rears. A lot of the C5 guys are running the Kumho's and love them. And they are cheap.

70 LS1 said:
When you look for tires, look at Kumho Ecsta MX's. That is what I have on my 1970 in 245/45/17 fronts and 275/40/18 rears. A lot of the C5 guys are running the Kumho's and love them. And they are cheap.

Jeff,

Thanks. I finally got the car running and back on the ground today after 5 months of fron suspension, steering, leaks, etc work. The ride height is back nicely with the new springs and bushings.

I spent a lot of time running around the front of the car with the wheels in different positions from left to right and everywhere in between. What I noticed is that the tires that are on the car have very little room at the extreme turning positions between the wheel, the front of the well, the back of the well and the frame when turning.

In fact the curve/ballooning of the side wall seems to be required to clear these hot spots. I'm concerned if I go with a more firm/straight sidewall I could cause some rubbing.

Maybe I can explain better. On the G70/15's the dimmensions are like this

Tread width - 7 Inches
Sidewall width - 9.5 Inches
Rim width - 8 Inches

On the New Rims and Tires I'm not sure what the profile will look like but I anticipate something like

Tread width - 10 Inches
Sidwall width - ?
Rim width - 8 Inches

With this type of profile I'm concerned I might lose some clearance near the tread/outside edge of the tire.

Do you have any clearance problems with the 245/45/17's in front?

Thanks. I just don't want to drop big money only to tear up the tires the first tight turn I make.

Jon

The 245/45/17 fit just fine with no rubbing. In fact, the sidewall width is only 9.7". Less than a 1/4" bigger than the G70/15's. One thing to consider is that these are quite a bit shorter than stock. An advertised 25.8" tall. (Stock was near 27".) While the shorter tire looks fine on the front, it looks too short on the back. That is one of the reasons I went with a larger rim on the back. If you want to stick with 17's in the back, then you might want to look for a 255/50/17 for the rear.

70 LS1 said:
The 245/45/17 fit just fine with no rubbing. In fact, the sidewall width is only 9.7". Less than a 1/4" bigger than the G70/15's. One thing to consider is that these are quite a bit shorter than stock. An advertised 25.8" tall. (Stock was near 27".) While the shorter tire looks fine on the front, it looks too short on the back. That is one of the reasons I went with a larger rim on the back. If you want to stick with 17's in the back, then you might want to look for a 255/50/17 for the rear.

Well we fit a set of 245/45/17's all around yesterday. The rims were the wrong offset (ordered wrong by the shop) so we had to leave without new shoes for the 71.

You're right, the 245/45's are too small for the rear and I think too small for the front as well.

Is anyone using 245/50/17's all the way around on 71/early 70's Vette? I'm sure they'll fit fine in the rear but I'm not sure about clearance in the front. The height is almost exactly right if only just a little short. I'm concerend about fender clearance when turning not rolling straight.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Whiplash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom