Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Brake lights...

jvclark

Corvette
I have no rear brake lights on my 79 vette, I have replaced the turn signal switch, brake light switch, checked all bulbs and their connections and adjusted the brake light switch and re-did the rear ground wires, also no Hazard lights. What I do have is turn signals, side marker lights, rear back up lights but have been unable to find problem for brake lights.....Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can check for next.

Also located above the brake light switch is a switch similar in operation to the brake light switch with a vaccum hose attached, can anyone tell me what this is for,

Thks
jc

Also located above the brake light switch is a switch similar in operation to the brake light switch with a vaccum hose attached, can anyone tell me what this is for,

Thks
jc[/QUOTE]

Cruise control.

did you check the bulbs??

Rrear Brake lights

Thks, I checked both fuses and bulbs, but am going to check them again....

I have no rear brake lights on my 79 vette, I have replaced the turn signal switch, brake light switch, checked all bulbs and their connections and adjusted the brake light switch and re-did the rear ground wires, also no Hazard lights. What I do have is turn signals, side marker lights, rear back up lights but have been unable to find problem for brake lights.....Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can check for next.

Thks
jc

You say that you have replaced your turn signal switch and your brake light switch, BUT do you have power to either of them? Your brake light switch should have power to it all the time with the key off, do you? How did you diagnose and come to the conclusion that you had a bad brake light switch and a bad turn signal switch?

Rear Brake light

Problem solved! Although I have a little bit of a RED FACE right now.. There was no fuse period in the brake light circuit...put in a 10a and it lit up like a xmas tree. Oh! well I gained some experience in taking apart a steering coloum and tracing circuits on a wiring diagram.......Now its on to the short in my a/c circuit--seems it wants to blow fuses.. anyone have any ideas as where to start on this one.

Thks for your suggestions.

jc

Problem solved! Although I have a little bit of a RED FACE right now.. There was no fuse period in the brake light circuit...put in a 10a and it lit up like a xmas tree. Oh! well I gained some experience in taking apart a steering coloum and tracing circuits on a wiring diagram.......Now its on to the short in my a/c circuit--seems it wants to blow fuses.. anyone have any ideas as where to start on this one.

jc

Glad you found your problem, no big deal how you got there.:)

What fuse is blowing and what switch or control are you using when the fuse blows. The fuse is snapping right in the middle of the two ends of the fuse correct?

jc
Explains why all the fuses were good the first time you checked:L. A missing fuse is not something most people would notice unless they were looking for it.

As LLC5 has said when the fuse blows can tell us what is being energized when it blows which can narrow down the possibilities. If it blows with everything in the off position then there could still be a problem with the blower motor, or the wiring.

Glad you found your problem, no big deal how you got there.:)

What fuse is blowing and what switch or control are you using when the fuse blows. The fuse is snapping right in the middle of the two ends of the fuse correct?

Thks. I must be starting to do something right. second fuse didn't blow. now have fan going don't know about a/c until I install a new compresson....

On the fuse panel and in Clymers book on it's diagram page 178 do you know what the Breaker Assemby A31 and C49 are for and what type fuse goes there if any...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom