Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear brake noise at first press after start up

rayres74

Corvette
1987 Black convertible
When I first start my car and let it warm up, I then put it in reverse to get it out of the driveway. When I hit the brake pedal at this point on street to put it in drive I get a noise which seems in the right rear wheel. Sounds like something with Antilock brakes or something. It sounds like it is a 2 second engaging noise and the pedal gets hard for a second then it is over for the rest of the drive. Has been doing this ever since I bought the car. Any ideas?

When I first start my car and let it warm up, I then put it in reverse to get it out of the driveway. When I hit the brake pedal at this point on street to put it in drive I get a noise which seems in the right rear wheel. Sounds like something with Antilock brakes or something. It sounds like it is a 2 second engaging noise and the pedal gets hard for a second then it is over for the rest of the drive. Has been doing this ever since I bought the car. Any ideas?

Be more concerned if it does not do that......

This is the ABS system setting itself after start-up diagnostics. It won;t "set" until the car rolls over 3 mph after start up. This should happen either forward or reverse almost the instant that you roll to 3 mph...like a growl or groaning noise...thats the ABS pump cycling and pressurizing the system for its self test.

Speak of the devil! After hearing the noise thinking it was something wrong it was right! Now it just stopped on me and does not engage and the pedal stays hard and not very drivable. Also, not sure if I had not heard this before but now when I press the brake I hear vacuum air coming out down next to the pedal. I looked under there and there are two plastic switches and when the brake is pressed the switched open and that is when I can hear the vacuum going psssssssss for as long as i am holding the pedal. Could be the release of the cruise I do not know. I just have never noticed it before.

What do I look for to get the ABS back to engage? I no longer hear anything at 3 mph and the pedal is hard.

Speak of the devil! After hearing the noise thinking it was something wrong it was right! Now it just stopped on me and does not engage and the pedal stays hard and not very drivable. Also, not sure if I had not heard this before but now when I press the brake I hear vacuum air coming out down next to the pedal. I looked under there and there are two plastic switches and when the brake is pressed the switched open and that is when I can hear the vacuum going psssssssss for as long as i am holding the pedal. Could be the release of the cruise I do not know. I just have never noticed it before.

What do I look for to get the ABS back to engage? I no longer hear anything at 3 mph and the pedal is hard.

You should not hear vacuum from underneath the dash. That you do and that you complain of a hard pedal has me thinking you have a problem with the power assist unit.

Just replaced the brake booster and it is all fixed. Looks like I had a leak right at the metal rod that hooks onto the brake arm and goes into the brake booster. Must have been a bad seal or something. Put in the new booster and no vacuum leak. Stops good now!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom