Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear intake duct availability..

KLUTZ

Corvette
1987 Bright Red convertible
I called my local GM dealer and was told that these were discontinued. Why, who knows. I am having no luck locating one locally and may have to wait a week or so before I get get one. I am looking at these: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000050f~Z5Z5Z522316~P39.95~~~~S3D10TZ31I65951025332a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050F and was wondering if they make any difference with a stock setup? I am going to stay stock during the restoration on the car for the simple fact that I don't want to throw a ton of money into it before I'm sold on it. Also, what does it mean, "You will have to move your air intake temperature sensor (IAT) located in this duct?"
There must be a used corvette parts site somewhere where people sell and trade used parts.... is there?

Thanks

I called my local GM dealer and was told that these were discontinued. Why, who knows. I am having no luck locating one locally and may have to wait a week or so before I get get one. I am looking at these: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S3D10TZ31I65951025332a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050F and was wondering if they make any difference with a stock setup? I am going to stay stock during the restoration on the car for the simple fact that I don't want to throw a ton of money into it before I'm sold on it. Also, what does it mean, "You will have to move your air intake temperature sensor (IAT) located in this duct?"
There must be a used corvette parts site somewhere where people sell and trade used parts.... is there?

Thanks

Not a big deal....
and no, it won;t make much difference with a stock motor.
Those couplers are not difficult to find. There are literally thousands of salvage parts sellers as well as new on E-Bay. Search Corvette, then "intake coupler" or smooth bore coupler. I know of several used parts dealers that I do business with in Az and Ca, and even in Texass. (sucks having to trailer your nice sports car to the state line so you can find smooth roads to drive on). :chuckle

The sensor they mention on some yrs is mounted in the stock duct somewhere. Others like the 87 are mounted on the underside of the plenum. Never order generic parts without being yr specific. The "C4" tag covers 3 different motor designs, 5 actually, 2 different chassis/frame configurations, a variety of suspensions and many different trim packages. The coupler you need is specific to certain yr models...L-98 only. Later designs were oval, flat and smooth.

85-89 CORVETTE C4 AIR INTAKE DUCT 14081891 | eBay

Thats one of several. If you cannot find what you are searching for, find the sellers "other items page or their ask a question box or go to their online store or catalog. There is a HUGE parts available business for Corvettes. If GM discontinued it, somebody else is making it.

Don't forget.. I don't live in the Corvette Mecca of the world here. :D There are places to get it but Ebay ($31.00 shipping????) and the places that are here would need to order from the US anyway and that would take a couple weeks. BUT. Even though I have read some pretty questionable things about this guy, I am dropping in to see "Sam" at Central Corvette in Toronto. It is only 5 minutes away from where I'll be tomorrow anyway. He says he has one so hopefully I won't be floored by his asking price. 12 wrecking yards in the area hadn't had a wrecked corvette in for years either, so that was a shutout...
I did get my MAF today, a reconditioned Delco for just over $200.00 and they didn't even ask for the core (which I don't have) so I feel pretty good about that. I made an air intake out of cardboard to try it out. Someone should have told the PO though, that when you spend the money on a K&N setup.. at least clean the dang thing once in a while. NO air was going through it. Cleaned it, will spray it tonight and give it a shot tomorrow.

I was given one I used it for a year and it cracked down the mold seem I put the stock one back on.

The same person gave me a set of TPIS headers at the same time those are still working fine LOL.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom